Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the civics course in schools

Options
  • 15-04-2004 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

anyone done this..... in recent years, was introduced after i left.. its compulsary is it at jc and/or lc level, i just read the curriculum a week or two ago.... but can't remember that fact

do reckon it'll make any difference to particpation to the polis

(i was got giving out to by a mod here for posting a one line quesion about something.... ie not giving my own opinion on the thing, but i find i find if i give my own opinion on asubject im trying to find others ppls thoughts on it immediatley skews the responses, not great start for an open debate... id prefer to come back later and add my fews)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

AFAIK, it's compulsory at junior cert level.

My younger brother saw it as an easy A as it's easy to bluff through - quite a typical attitude I'd imagine. Most junior cert subjects are hopelessly simplified so I'm skeptical as to any changes it will bring about in people's attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I was in the first year that had it compulsory (before that there were pilot schemes).

It's all very waffley... explains some stuff, useful stuff like running a class election in the proper PR manner was interesting, and made the whole election business make more sense to an awful lot of the class.

Also encouraged "action projects" to make a difference in the world... i think it's a good thing, but its not going to make huge differences to anything.

<< Fio >>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

was the first year of it myself too,
    it was amazingly easy, but it did make people take note of Irish politics more than they would have (as in not at all), and made PR and the like make more sense... I suppose the upcoming elections will be the first sign of any major change, as it will be the first elections where people such as myself are old enough to vote (i just missed the last GE).
    I cant see a huge turn out as a result of it, but it might help a little bit....

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement