Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is getting ridiculous

Options
  • 15-04-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭

can anyone explain to me what does the error part mean in the following screenshot, ive posted about this beforebut tonight takes the biscuit, 883 errors in 52 minutes cannot be right in anyones book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

That amount of errors would probably be down to the quality of your phone line. Make sure nothing else is connected to the line, reinstall the modem drivers, or try another modem cable. If all else fails get Eircon to do a noise test on the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

maybe there is some noise on your phone line, but 43K is good for a standard phone line - the theoretical maximum is 56K but I have never seen download speeds in the 50's. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless the line is being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Make sure there's not a fax machine on the same line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

there no fax on the line, the only thing thats plugged into the phone line where my modem is plugged into is a splitter box with sky digital plugged into the other side of the splitter

That wouldnt generate that many errors though surely

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Well, it shouldn't. Chances are it's noise on your line. Or if this is worse than it ever was before it could be a dodgy modem at the other end (obviously if you disconnected, reconnected and found the same problem this is less likely.

I'm just including the attached pic to make you cry because I'm in that kind of mood today

• Advertisement

Yep that would make me cry alright

Bucketloads already sigh

Anyhoo heres another screenie from todays connection

seems its now back to 0 errors for now, i dont suppose theres any point in reporting this to 1901 again, or anyone else in eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just a quick question regarding this.

You mention that your Digibox is on the same phoneline as your modem, iirc the sky box checks for a line every so often, the latest picture you posted . . was the sky box turned on?

Have you tried unplugging it and try your internet connection ?

In the old days ;) I regularly got connections of 52Kb on a modem !

ZENER

yep ill try that tonight because last night it was upto its old tricks in a 30 minute period there was 244 errors

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the errors could very well be caused by the digibox, if it's trying to periodically access the line for updates or whatever else it might be doing. most ISP's will recommend not using any kind of splitters on the same connection as your modem anyway, so it's something to think about.

Advertisement