Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irishman in Baghdad

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

You dont know that they are foreign in the US military. They maybe US citizens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, I do happen to be a US citizen.

For those who are not, they must at least be legal residents. In a somewhat Heinleinian move, 'Service guarantees citizenship', being in the military is a fast-track for citizenship. It knocks a few years off the requirement process.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

IS this the same guy who joined the Belgium army, then joined the irish army before finally joining the american army and serving in iraq in a M1A2 tank ? He wrote for the irish defence farces monthly magazine I belive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

lazydaisy wrote:
    You dont know that they are foreign in the US military. They maybe US citizens.
    According to this site http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200581622640.asp
    There are thousands of foreign fighters in the ranks of the us army.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Fair play to Iraq, if they can attract foreign fighters to their cause, more power to em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

RedPlanet wrote:
    Fair play to Iraq, if they can attract foreign fighters to their cause, more power to em.

I guess it's one good way to weed out and kill morons alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok pics. Pretty tame compared to others I have seen.

This your first tour? My cousin has done three tours so far (currently in Germany now though) and a friend in work has her husband currently over there.

Thought they implemented new rules on posting pics online though? Saw a mention to it on the US Army news in Korea (while I was there).

Possibly. They implemented new internet-related rules shortly after my tour ended.

I never served in the Belgian Army, though I did live in Belgium, I did do a stint in the FCA, I was in an M1A1 tank, not an M1A2, and I did do a two-parter for An Cosantoir.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Has this thread been butchered? as it is a very disjointed read, maybe the mods can identify why and when they decided to butcher

Well, there was a 17-month gap in the postings...

NTM

Still does not help the disjointedness of the thread, what is the salient point of the resurrection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Possibly. They implemented new internet-related rules shortly after my tour ended.

I never served in the Belgian Army, though I did live in Belgium, I did do a stint in the FCA, I was in an M1A1 tank, not an M1A2, and I did do a two-parter for An Cosantoir.

NTM

ITS YOU !!:D I kind of got it wrong about a few things, the belgium army and the M1A2. I read your article in an cosantoir and it was well written ! good job. The pics you posted on your blog were top drawer too. Good to hear you made it back in one piece :)

Still does not help the disjointedness of the thread, what is the salient point of the resurrection?

I answered a few questions that had been posed. For whatever reason, I didn't answer them at the time. Better late than never, no?

Mask, thanks. I'm working, slowly, on a book. One day, I might even get it finished!

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Might of helped to the confusion. Thats what I get for reading multiple threads with tabbed browsing. :/

I answered a few questions that had been posed. For whatever reason, I didn't answer them at the time. Better late than never, no?

Mask, thanks. I'm working, slowly, on a book. One day, I might even get it finished!

NTM
    Fair enough, I did not link the 2 until later on

Has this thread been butchered? as it is a very disjointed read, maybe the mods can identify why and when they decided to butcher
    There was no butchering.
    Another mod from what I can understand pointed MM to this thread given that I moved his pictures thread to the more apprpriate after hours section.
    Mods may not have a problem with the resurrection of a thread if its cleared with us first.
    We usually do have a problem with random posting to very old threads when a new one could have been started with just a link to the old one.
    It's tidier that way.

Advertisement