Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless ADSL router

• 15-04-2004 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend has eircom bb with the ethernet adsl modem. He ordered a new laptop with 802.11g and wants to purchase a router to support an ethernet connection to the old PC and wireless to the laptop. Is a basic wireless/4 port ADSL router all that is required - can it connect to the ethernet modem that eircom supply ? Or would he be better off with a more expensive wireless router with built in adsl modem like this one ? Any recommendations for a particular model ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by solaris
    Hi,

A friend has eircom bb with the ethernet adsl modem. He ordered a new laptop with 802.11g and wants to purchase a router to support an ethernet connection to the old PC and wireless to the laptop. Is a basic wireless/4 port ADSL router all that is required - can it connect to the ethernet modem that eircom supply ? Or would he be better off with a more expensive wireless router with built in adsl modem like this one ? Any recommendations for a particular model ?
    He already has a router. He just needs a Wireless Access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I have a 3Com Office connect whcih works very well and is a lot cheaper than the one you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭solaris

Originally posted by Tom
    I have a 3Com Office connect whcih works very well and is a lot cheaper than the one you mention.

Thanks Tom, but it's not wireless ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Sorry, my mistake, I posted the wrong link, this is the one I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by solaris
    Any recommendations for a particular model ?

Thanks

I have a Netgear DG834G which I'm happy with. Good range, easy to install. Not the cheapest wireless/router/modem box out there, but the build qualty is good and it works. G or B standards.

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

quote:Originally posted by Tom

Thanks Tom, but it's not wireless ...

It is actually wireless if you have a closer look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by paddy

Try reading the thread properly before you make a comment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

o.k. daveyjoe, if im correct this is what he's looking for

http://www.3com.com/prod/en_EU_EMEA/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRWE83096A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by paddy
    Tom originally posted a link to a device that wasn't wireless. He edited his post to point at the correct device after his error was pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭solaris

Thanks folks,

He ordered this one in the end
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=PRL

It seems to be a later version of Tom's, supporting 802.11g, and a few euro cheaper :-) Reading the manual it looks like it should do the job.

Cheers

solaris

• Advertisement
Advertisement