Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introductions - Say Hello Here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I wouldn't worry about it - if someone pulls you up on it, don't be afraid to let them know English isn't your first language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hello boards! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Novella wrote: »
    Hello boards! :D
    Hello Novella and welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I wonder does Cult havr a script that is triggered everytime someone posts here, that selects a random Boards.ie Mod/Subscriber and automatically posts a randomly generated welcome message. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

Hi all have been lurking around here for while but only started posting as such recently. Still feel as if i have to lose my boards virginity :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bug1

Hello boards

• Moderators Posts: 51,796 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Welcome to boards, steod and Bug1:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hot coco for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Hi Boards Folk,

I'm Marti and I joined boards.ie about 2 weeks ago. I'd started a thread about non-nationals and the dole, yep, I know some folks will disagree and some folks will agree. It was meant to be a discussion, a debate and an open exchange of ideas in a generally civil athmosphere. The thread is at: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533964&page=45

However, the thread has been locked by a moderator who decided that it was going around in circles, as debates and the open exchange of information usually do and that it was bringing heat, again as debate and the open exchange of opinion usually does. The moderator also suggested that the whole thread was a "moot point" as the current law didn't suport what I and others were saying, I'm sorry but moot point or not is irrelevant, folks have the right to discuss issues without having them closed down without any good or appropriate reason. That is what Boards.ie is all about, discussion.....it would be a very boring place if everyone agreed with eveyone else! The thread ran into 40 plus pages and had thousands of views and hundreds of contributions. It would be a pity to have it closed permanently when obviously folks wanted to express their opinions, on one side or the other.

That same moderator very early on in the thread also made their point of view abundantly clear. And then to close it later smacks of bias I am sorry to say.

Early on in the thread another moderator also closed down the thread but when I replied to their query re-opened it as no doubt they saw that it wasn't a rant. It was expressing an opinion held by many Irish people and an opinion that should be open to discussion, whether one agrees or disagrees. On that thread I have before thanked everyone for their contributions whether I have agreed or disagreed with them.

I have gotten the distinct feeling that some moderators have "it in" for that thread and no offence if someone doesn't like something fine but don't try to stop the democratic right to debate and question, don't because you dislike something shut it down. I have recieved PM's from folks who were on both sides of the argument expressing surprise and anger that the moderator acted like he/she did.

On one occassion I recieved an infraction (someones been watching too much Battlestar Gallactica!:)) when in response to being called a "nazi", "fool", "ignorant" etc I responded by saying "immature".....and I recieved an infraction for insulting another member! Seriously.

Boards.ie is meant to promote discussion and reasoned debate, that is the raison d'etre of boards but I am sorry to say that in this instance it is failing spectacularly. In this instance it is showing bias and the blatant disreagard for the right of folks to talk to each other.

Does anyone know whether another moderator (who doesn't have to agree with what I or anyone else is saying) but who perhaps has a more balanced view, and is less biased, can re-open that thread?

What's that saying: something about not supporting what you say but supporting your right to say it...........

Thanks folks.

Marti

• Moderators Posts: 51,796 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Your post might be better suited to the Feedback forum

Welcome to boards, marti8:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Your post might be better suited to the Feedback forum

Welcome to boards, marti8:)

Thanks for that, Koth :).....I'll see if I can pop it up there too!

Yep, it's on feedback now (then I was told it should be on HelpDesk...lol...so I put it up there too!) Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Feedback is where you start and if one of the Smods deems that it should go to the help desk then they will move it.

muffler wrote: »
    Feedback is where you start and if one of the Smods deems that it should go to the help desk then they will move it.

Ok, thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkops

Hey, darkops here. Avid airsoft enthusiast, here to get to know even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

darkops wrote: »
    Hey, darkops here. Avid airsoft enthusiast, here to get to know even more!
    Welcome darkops.

Plenty of airsoft stuff around here alright.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=830

Good stuff, you're very welcome. Fairly comprehensive Airsoft section to this site as a lot of the lads who were a part of the scene when it got up and running in Ireland were boardsies anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkops

Thanks very much! I have a lot to be greatful for on here so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BHappy

hi all.

Hello there, given the hour you joined us BHappy, I'd suggest you may wish to join in the fun on the Nocturnal Forum which is one of our "social" forums (i.e. isn't really about anything except having the craic, but with a night-time twist).

Enjoy your time here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BHappy

Dav wrote: »
    Hello there, given the hour you joined us BHappy, I'd suggest you may wish to join in the fun on the Nocturnal Forum which is one of our "social" forums (i.e. isn't really about anything except having the craic, but with a night-time twist).

Enjoy your time here.

hi Dav.

going there.

This forum is so big... it will take weeks for me to discover all of it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

BHappy wrote: »

It took me months!! Only found the literature forum after about a year, didn't occur to me people would want to talk about books.

And make sure you check out the Mustard forum, one of the most important ones here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BHappy wrote: »
    Lol, I'm here over two years, and I used to lurk now and again for ages before that, and I still go: " We have an XYZ forum?!! :eek: " on a regular basis! :D

Welcome all!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

Hey there, the name's Paul. I'm from Belfast up here in the North. I'm a big music fan and gamer (mainly fighting games) so I'm sure I'll be sticking around those areas for most of my time here. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Evenin' Cloudpaul, have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 centimental

hi everyone, just getting to know the wat around here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Heya Paul.
    From Belfast myself. What sort of music are you into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Hi there, my real names' Hannah, i'm originally from Liverpool but i've been living in Belfast since 1998 (came over for uni). I'm 29 now.

Love music, literature and history.:D

EDIT: Also meant to say, Liverpool FC supporter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Nice to see some more from Belfast on here.

Have you picked up the accent yet, Hannah? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Danny-B wrote: »
    Nice to see some more from Belfast on here.

Have you picked up the accent yet, Hannah? :P

It'll probably turn into some bizarre sounding scouse/Belfast hybrid!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

hello to all

Advertisement