Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introductions - Say Hello Here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Enore

Hi! I'm new here. My name is Miriam, I'm spanish and I registered here because I've always felt really interested about Ireland, even though I've never been there I think is a beautiful country. I'm planning to move to Dublin in a year and a half to finish there my degree, so I though it would be nice to pass by here and keep practising my english and meeting irish people ;).

See you.
    Miriam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi there new people, welcome to boards.ie.

Enjoy the site and hope to see you posting here soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 biobuilder

hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 the.Saint

Hi Everyone!
    My name is the.Saint, after my high school team's nickname "Saint Patrick High School" (in Kentucky). We were called the "Saints". We even had a guy dress up as a leprechaun and dance around on the sidelines. How Irish is that?

I found this website just browsing around on the net.

I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

I'm a nuclear engineer. NEver been to Ireland but been to Chester, England a few times (they have a nuke enrichment plant nearby.)

Anyway, not to be too wordy, my Irishness is on my mom's side, (from County Cork and Connacht, etc...) whose ancestors came over in 1850 to Kentucky. Scots-Irish on my dad's side, originally from Scotland, got kicked out, moved to Northern Ireland, got kicked out, moved to Virginia in 1700, got kicked out, finally moved to Kentucky and kicked out the Indians...

Well, I hope to add some interesting stuff and meet new friends.

Cheers,:D
    the.Saint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the.Saint wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    My name is the.Saint, after my high school team's nickname "Saint Patrick High School" (in Kentucky). We were called the "Saints". We even had a guy dress up as a leprechaun and dance around on the sidelines. How Irish is that?

I found this website just browsing around on the net.

I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

I'm a nuclear engineer. NEver been to Ireland but been to Chester, England a few times (they have a nuke enrichment plant nearby.)

Anyway, not to be too wordy, my Irishness is on my mom's side, (from County Cork and Connacht, etc...) whose ancestors came over in 1850 to Kentucky. Scots-Irish on my dad's side, originally from Scotland, got kicked out, moved to Northern Ireland, got kicked out, moved to Virginia in 1700, got kicked out, finally moved to Kentucky and kicked out the Indians...

Cheers,:D
    the.Saint

hey saint!

Atlanta - my favourite American city. I've done some work out there with Bell South. Love the place :) welcome to boards!

ps - to answer your question:
    We even had a guy dress up as a leprechaun and dance around on the sidelines. How Irish is that?

not very, in fairness :p

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    hey saint!

Atlanta - my favourite American city. I've done some work out there with Bell South. Love the place :) welcome to boards!

ps - to answer your question:

not very, in fairness :p

Our basketball team fans (parents, relatives, etc.) would drink a few 'pints' riding to our games, and started brawls at so many different games in Southeast Kentucky ("Redneck Mountain Country") that we were pretty much banned from the whole region, so eventually we just ended up playing other Catholic schools, and a few schools in the big city 'hood (for variety). That solved the "drunken Irish brawling" problem. :p

The county bordering ours is where George Clooney is from, he's 2-3 years older, but I remember playing basketball and baseball against him. He's a pretty down to earth guy in person, comes back to Kentucky every year to visit his parents, they come to St. Patrick Chuch (adjacent to St. Patrick School) every now and then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

That you will :)
    We even had a guy dress up as a leprechaun and dance around on the sidelines. How Irish is that?

As TBH said, not very at all ;)

Welcome anyways :):):):)
    Our basketball team fans (parents, relatives, etc.) would drink a few 'pints' riding to our games, and started brawls at so many different games in Southeast Kentucky ("Redneck Mountain Country") that we were pretty much banned from the whole region, so eventually we just ended up playing other Catholic schools, and a few schools in the big city 'hood (for variety). That solved the "drunken Irish brawling" problem.

Wait, maybe you are Irish!!!

YES, I am! My best friend's grandma had a REAL shillelagh, she kept it locked up until every St. Patrick's Day, when - at St. Patrick School - we students put on an Irish show for the parents. My friend would wave it around when we sang "Two Shillelagh O'Sullivan". As for my grandma? No shillelagh, but stories of washing beer bottles out in the bathtub during Prohibition, while her dad and uncles made "homemade beer".
    Well, it's about lunchtime here, I'm off for a "Seven Course Irish Dinner" now... a 6 pack of Harp beer and a boiled potato!
    (sorry man I had to throw that one in...)

btw - if you ever visit Kentucky, be sure to visit St. Pat's school & Church,
    http://www.stpatschool.com/articles/home.asp
    and O'Rourkes Irish Pub. A real Irelander would be a big hit at O'Rourkes, not as big as Clooney, but still a 'hit'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PatrickJos

After many years checkin out this place Today I have officially lost my Boards.ie virginity.
    What a relief:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sparkfire

Hi everyone, just signed up and am looking forward to joining the boards.ie community

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

PatrickJos wrote: »
    After many years checkin out this place Today I have officially lost my Boards.ie virginity.
    What a relief:D
    sparkfire wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just signed up and am looking forward to joining the boards.ie community
    Welcome to boards.ie guys, hope you enjoy your time here :)

If you've any questions, please ask and we'll do our best to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fidz

hi everyone,

Im on boards to get to know people and hopefully attend some nights out etc.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Hey all

Boards virgin here so take it handy on me , lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Hello here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shandyclover

New here and not sure what I'm doing - be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brigadoon

Me too! Just posted a question in the education section and I'm gonna be sooooo excited if I get a reply :D

Welcome to boards guys!

We're a friendly lot mostly, don't be afraid to ask questions if you're unsure about anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Hi

New here. I'm actually from somwhere close to the North Pole. My apologies for not so perfect English. It is my third langauge and did learn it from Columbo, Bonanza and The Thuderbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Blueboyd wrote: »
    Hi

New here. I'm actually from somwhere close to the North Pole. My apologies for not so perfect English. It is my third langauge and did learn it from Columbo, Bonanza and The Thuderbirds.

Welcome! how did you manage to find boards. by the way you have really good english, it's my second language, but i live here about 7 years now...
    see you all around.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

T4RGET wrote: »
    Welcome! how did you manage to find boards. by the way you have really good english, it's my second language, but i live here about 7 years now...
    see you all around.:D

Well... Have been watching RTÉ up here - especially the news- and thought I need a second opinion of the thngs they are saying officially - sort of what common people think of the same subjects. So I googled what boards there are - and found this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lynda72

Hi All,
    Delighted to be on board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Hi everyone, found a wealth of information here and decided to sign up.
    Looking forward being part of it!

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

lynda72 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Delighted to be on board :)
    rubywoo wrote: »
    Hi everyone, found a wealth of information here and decided to sign up.
    Looking forward being part of it!

Howdy lynda and rubywoo, and welcome to boards:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I'm new here. I'm Fago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hello, I'm new here, have been browsing for a while and find this to be a really cool website! so I decided to join! Still getting used to the tags system {} etc so if my 1st few posts are screwed up take it easy on the noob! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

been a lurker for a while on the photography threads and learning a lot.
    posted a few photos and just like to say thanks for the "thanks" to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sunshizzels999

Hey guys! I know a few people on here but been working up the courage to make the first post for a while! I don't have any strong opinions on stuff but I like the site :pac:

Welcome!

Opinions are what this place thrives on so don't be shy! (within the rules of course) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

Joined a few years back but decided to give it another try.

So yeah, hi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Well, just joined today, have been a long time lurker but never bothered joining till now, great forums btw ;)

Advertisement