Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noob questions about dwmx

Options
  • 16-04-2004 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

hey ppl, i designed a website in frontpage, which i found piss easy, didn't need any tutorials or anything (maybe cos its like word with web design thrown in). anyhow, i didn't like frontpage even though i found it handy enough and i'm trying to get to grips with dreamweaver to do the site again. but so far i haven't had much success so if someone who knows what there on about could answer these few questions i'd really appreciate it. my mate said i'd have no probs cos i knew my way around frontpage but i'm really stuck. thanks:

does everything on a page have to be in a form type thingy?

how do i position images absolutly?

anything else i should know?

thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Q: does everything on a page have to be in a form type thingy?
    A: Nope, you never have to place a form on a webpage if you don't want to

Q: how do i position images absolutly?
    A: Best way to do this is prolly to create a new layer for each image, when you have the layer selected in DWMX, insert your image, then resize the layer to the same size as the image, and simply 'drag' the layer to where you want the image positioned absolutely

With regards to layers, you should keep the z-index in mind, in case some of them overlap. the higher the z-index the higher it is 'above the page'. You can imagine layers as sheets on top of eachother, the bottom layer has z-index of 1, the one on top has z-index 2 etc.

Of course you can have multiple layers with the same z-index also, but in this case they should not overlap.

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

thanks mate, getting the hang of it now. nice one

sorry ppl, but got another question. when i try put some jpegs on the site i just get a grey ripped page icon (or something like that). other jpegs work no bother on the site and i've no probs with these jpegs anywhere else, just when i try bring them into the page. the correct name of the file is shown in the image's properties box but the pic isn't shown. also when i go to the select image to insert box, the files that work show an image preview but the ones that won't play ball don't. again, any help is hugely appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Try selecting an image that doesn't work, clicking on the point to file icon (round target type thingy to the right of the image source box) and dragging to the correct image in the files panel on the right.

Fergal

nope no joy there. it gives the right path in the source box but no pic, just the grey ripped icon thing. when i try point to it it doesn't register it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

that has to do with the picture being outside the site directory.
    have you your site defined? with a images folder?

all my web stuff is within the one folder but i didn't define anything. how do i go about this and how come some of the pics worth. i've no images folder anywhere. the site was originally designed in frontpage and when i put it into a new folder for working on in dwmx i deleted all the default folders fp had created.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

goto Site and Manage Sites...
    there you can set up the local, remote and test servers setting and other stuff.

that seems to have put me on the right track but now it says "dreamweaver could not open the document" when i try drag the pic onto the page. i'm gonna open them in photo-paint and resave them and maybe that'll help cos they all have to be resampled and compressed anyway. thanks jabber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Seriuosly man - do a tutorial........

Dreamweaver is a professional tool of choice - frontpage is a terrible HTML editor if you want to take this type of stuff seriously.

Your last problem here leads me to believe you are trying to drag an image from explorer or your desktop on to dreamweaver.... It doesnt work like that you must choose "insert image"

• Advertisement
Advertisement