Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Person Shooter - in only 96Kbs of code

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

holy crap:eek:
    looking forward to trying that out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

that's really cool, it was downloaded before i had chosen a location to save it too.........i wonder if the source code is available, it's some thing i'd like to see

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bah... thats nothing... Here is a 5k FPS game

http://innofinity.com/5k/2002/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

hehe very simple but cool that its so small :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by Rabies
    Bah... thats nothing... Here is a 5k FPS game

http://innofinity.com/5k/2002/

cool, 5kb is unbelieveable, although the one i posted being 96kb takes it to a whole new ball field graphically and i.m.o. it has a better graphics engine then Half-Life (although that game dates back to 1998)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

rather good graphics, needs to add the scrollwheel for weapons, and change the walking sound - but other than that it's worth the 96k of your bandwidth :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dont work for me, after I extract the files, I click on the exe and it just fails to load and crash's. Help? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Doesn't work for me either. The program "has generated errors and will be closed by widows".
    In college now, comp specs : 2ghz, 512mb, Graphics card unkown (think 16mb or 32mb :( ) Directx version unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

need a radeon 8500 or newer card.
    Graphics cards in college probably aint up to the task.

Specs:
    - A Geforce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card
    supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.
    - Some kind of sound hardware
    - DirectX 9.0b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, my GF3 Ti200 128mb doesn't work with it. But I've been meaning to upgrade for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, saw that earlier on this morning on HardOCP.
    This machine is a 2Ghz P4 with an 8meg Onboard Intel EXXXTREEEEM TO THE MAXX pos gfx chip.
    My box at home is a GF4 Ti4200 (so has the shaders required) but is only a P3800 under the hood.
    It'll be time for a core upgrade soon enough methinks, get myself a nice cheap 2Ghz AthlonXP and a bit of PC3200 ram and she'll tick over for another while till the Athlon64/PCIExpress/DDR/DDR2 issue calms down and solidifies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

For some reason the group have changed their name to .theprodukkt. It used to be known as Farb Rausch, a german demoscene group. Check out the Das Produkt (fr08) on http://www.pouet.net.

Same idea, but in 64k demo land. Graphics are better IMHO in the demo, and the sound is top notch stuff by KB (same guy who did sound in the KKrieger 96k FPS game). I actually MP3d the audio for that demo, the last 5 minutes of the 11 minute track is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

It ran unbelievably slow for me (something like a frame for every 2 seconds) and I have an Athlon 2700+/ 1 gig ram/radeon 9800 pro

Second time I ran it it had improved, but still a bit jumpy. Then I got to the big spider thing and it went back to being unbearably slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Yeah that is cool stuff alright

what did you use to capture the audio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

ran smooth for me, how the feck is this possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by l3rian
    ran smooth for me, how the feck is this possible?
    Well I gather they've coded a set of instructions on how to draw textures and meshes offscreen from scratch then copy them to a buffer as opposed to loading them from disk... imagine a macro that draws a picture in mspaint.
    Actually they said something to that effect in the readme.
    Even still it's bloody impressive to fit that into 96k even without sound, textures or any discernable level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

looks very nice - to point where you'd buy a game nowadays with those graphics.
    Ran quite slow and unresponsive ... no idea how many fps ... but left me with nosnaliga feeling of playing deus ex on my p2 300/ riva tnt 2 ;)

was suprised it ran so slowly, but fair enough, congrats to them
    [pc now is : xp2600, 1.5gigs ram, radeon 9800pro]
    However generating everything [on the fly?].

Regardless how good game is, or how slow it runs.
    Those graphics, that quality, and the intro ... any of these alone .... im rambling & confusing myself more, as ... 96k!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Pah! No multiplayer!

But seriously, that's the best use of 96k I have ever seen. Perfect for people on broadband lite, wondering what to d/l with the last of their monthly cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's good for the size of it

but it's very simple and found myself finished in two minutes

the physics of the grenades seemed odd though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

ran at about 5fps for me id say, but im still working on my system, i got a crap 3dmark03 score aswell of 1543, so i still have to figure out what im doing wrong, but anyway the game is very impressive for only 96kb of code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Who said floppies dead? :D
    Unreal 2006 on one floppy :D
    Amazing stuff for the size of a web page :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im confused, is this game 96kb of code in total or is this 96Kb of bandwidth?

Sean

Im confused, is this game 96kb of code in total or is this 96Kb of bandwidth?

who mentioned code, or bandwidth? the game is 96k in size

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

who mentioned code, or bandwidth? the game is 96k in size

Isn’t ‘96kb in size’ and ‘96kb of code’ the same thing?

no, thats like comparing the size of all the ingredients (code) and the baked (compiled) cake (game) ;)

oh... i just read the thread :D now i see who mentioned code and bandwidth to confuse him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

The lighting in the room with all the pillars is very nicely done -
    The shadows when you fire shots across the room are excellent.
    Amazing piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

no, thats like comparing the size of all the ingredients (code) and the baked (compiled) cake (game) ;)

oh... i just read the thread :D now i see who mentioned code and bandwidth to confuse him

oops, sorry, my bad English. corrected my post, although the topic title remains the same if looked at from the Games forum (if a mod could change the title to the corrected one it'd be much appreciated).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I saw this a while ago on futuremark, it is quite extraordinary. It runs very well on my 9800pro. I could post a screen shot, but it would more than likely be larger than the game...

• Advertisement
Advertisement