Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic and schools

• 16-04-2004 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

ok, anyone else notice that traffic is much, much better when the kids are off school?

Has everyone else heard how childhood obesity in rapidly on the rise in Ireland?

So, and this may sound crazy.

But, if parents made their tubby kids walk to school instead of driving them, maybe, just maybe we would have less problems with both traffic and obesity?

Two birds, one stone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Few children die in the short term from their obesity, many adults do. Better to make adults walk / run / cycle to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Originally posted by Victor
    Few children die in the short term from their obesity, many adults do. Better to make adults walk / run / cycle to work.

And have the kids drive to school?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rs
    And have the kids drive to school?

:)
    lol

I agree completely, not necessarily on teh obesity problem, but that far too many parents drive their kids to school. Make them walk or get the bus ffs, they need to learn to be independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It's funny how it is always everyone else causing the traffic jam you are stuck in, if it weren't for all those selfish people you could drive your car wherever you liked without any obstruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by John R
    It's funny how it is always everyone else causing the traffic jam you are stuck in, if it weren't for all those selfish people you could drive your car wherever you liked without any obstruction.

Yeah...godamn those selfish bastards!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by John R
    In my case it's true. Bikes don't cause traffic. We are the heavenly mode of transport, perfect in every way...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Except when its raining and you are going up hill and its cold

(We couldnt afford shoes)

Based on my own observation of last week's traffic, and the length of queues, and an observational comparison to today, I'd estimate that somewhere in the region of 60-70% of all traffic is related to the schools.

Completely ridiculous. What can be done?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

School Buses ? (pro's and con's have been debated before)
    So FREE school buses - none of this 5 mile limit etc. - so there is an incentive to use them. - Also ban dropping off of kids at the school front door - how many accidents happen to kids AT the school from parents driving to school. But half of the time a school drop means a U-Turn afterwards which adds to congestion

How about baning anyone living on a bus route or living within one mile from driving to the school ?

The costs would be paid for in savings on road capacity.

When we all get FFTH and 5Mb in three years time people can telecomute to work and school - problem solved (two chances...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its not just the kids who are off - also all the teachers are off and many of the colleges and universities are closed at the same time.

People always claim that they used to walk or cycle X number of miles to school in all weather "and it never did me any harm - today's kids have it too easy..." Yet these are the same people who would never dream of getting a bus or cycling to work.

the more people have cars, the more people will drive to work, school, college etc. and with the increased levels of traffic it becomes less safe for kids to walk or cycle - you can't blame parents for wanting their kids to be safe. Yes its a vicious circle but its not just the schools that are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

How about baning anyone living on a bus route or living within one mile from driving to the school ?

Yeah I am going to let my 5 and 7 year old go on the bus by themselves! I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I wonder has anyone run the maths for a bus service though? I mean door to door free to the parent (within some kind of parameters) and tendered out each year.

Or maybe some kind of tax-break for organised car-sharing (you bring 4 kids to school today, the other parents the next 3 days etc.).

I'd be happy to pay a few quid more on road tax (or whatever) if it meant a dramatic improvement to conjestion. Hell we're paying through the nose anyway maybe it would be a cost-effective (and overnight) way to improve things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

guys its ireland we're living in, not the Bronx.
    i would be well happy for my kids to get the bus to school once they get to a reasonable age. I cycled to school when i was 8, no problem, times may have changed a bit since but kids don't need a door to door taxi service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

loyaltemu, had to lol when i saw your post, didnt see it before I posted (honest), yes i would & have cycled and walked and bussed it to work when its 3 or 4 miles, why shouldnt kids do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Times have changed a lot since you were 8, dont know how old you are now. I would be delighted to have a school bus service. it would mean I could go back to bed on my day off:)

Advertisement