Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xda Ii

Options
  • 16-04-2004 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one. I've had mine for a few days now. It's like an XDA I with some eye candy added. Study stuff, crappy hand-free kit. A bluetooth one is on order.

I'll post a review over the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

when i compare the old and new together i don't see the differences as being mostly 'eye candy': more memory, better processor, sdio, expansion pack option (for CF, AV Out and extended battery), Bluetooth... some side-by-side info in this thread

i ended up getting the non-operator modified version of the device called the i-mate Pocket PC Phone Edition - identical but without the O2 Active branding and SIM unlocked - have had some time with the Active stuff on the device to test it out and it's quite good at what it does giving quick links to the main features on the device

the Bluetooth implementation is Microsof's own- so it's not a patch on the likes of Widcomm's (used in the iPaqs) - although it's improving as the ROM updates come out (and some 3rd parties who tweak it e.g. Pocket Bluetooth Tools) - so Bluetooth has been a bit of an issue for me

a bigger problem initially was the number of processes running on the device, as so many start-up initially there aren't many left for the user - at first people were finding their apps closing on their own as the process limit was reached, the various ROMS are being refined to try and free up more processes at start-up (and modifying the start-up items yourself can also help - as long as you know what you are doing)

there are a some good hands-on reviews here:
    http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1572&catid=60
    http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=429

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Hiya Brian,

Where did you get the i-mate? I'm trying to source a device for dev

Cheers,

lph (AKA emg Sonic)

i got it from the PPCW.net Shop, but it looks to be sold out there at the moment

so maybe check mphone.co.uk or expansys.com for their levels as they were also stocking it

[think I should say (as anyone checking out their forums will notice and might ask) I help out / moderate on the forums on PPCW.net also, but to date have no links to the business elements of the site - I purchased an i-Mate Smartphone and i-Mate Pocket PC Edition from the site as a regular customer just like everyone else, and would recommend them to anyone]

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i got it from the PPCW.net Shop, but it looks to be sold out there at the moment

lphchild fyi: Arne just posted an update saying he has more in stock now...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Cheers Brian,

It's a great site. Out of interest, do you know, or have any advice for someone wishing to develop for these devices, but who can't afford the hardware to prototype on? Do the handset people run 'lending' programmes or is it a best to approach the networks?

Thanks,
    Sonic

• Advertisement

have a read of this thread re: emulation and development

might be worth contacting O2 (maybe via www.sourceo2.com) to see if any of the support they offer would be beneficial to you

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was having a quick look at a friends the other day. on ly really got to play with the camera functionality so far, but that was pretty cool on it's own. got an xda1 at the mo, but let me know who i have to kill to get an xda2 and i'm there!

Advertisement