Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First overclock

Options
  • 16-04-2004 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Just upgraded to this

Abit NF7-M
    AMD XP2800+
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB

Ive never overclocked before but ive read somewhere that abit boards are good for overclocking so i thought i might give it a go
    Can someone give an idea what to do cos i havent a clue

Would it be possible to get the memory registered at 400mhz, its 333 at the moment
    And maybe get the cpu at xp3000+

Dont know if this doing too much or not. Can someone tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

At the risk of taking over the role of Dataisgod ;)here 's a link he recommends highly for overclocking AMD-based systems. Thre's some good advice there and links off to most of what you'd need in terms of testing etc.

Do a search on this forum also, as there is a wealth of knowledge to be harvested here.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Another link here, forum with motherboard manufacturer specific forums.

Found it to be good if you have problems etc just post and someone will reply quickly, boards is good to! Using this now since i found out about it

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd like to see how that goes. I'm using a similar setup and i want to see if i can get the FSB up to 400. As i said before i've no case fans, but i'd say i'd be able to do something good with it. I've got a chenbro, so i can stick an 80mm on the front and a 120mm on the back, so i should get a decent flow through the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Would it be possible to get the memory registered at 400mhz, its 333 at the moment

To get the memory running at Pc3200 (400mhz) on an AMD system you have to have the FSB at the same speed or above.
    Since the multiplier on the Xp2800+ is 12.5, this would mean your chip would have to run at 2.5ghz to get the FSB up that high (200x12.5)....... and unless you have great cooling i cant see that happening TBH. If your multiplier is unlocked its a different story but if its locked its very doubtfull.

If you have good cooling with reasonable case Air flow , and an increase in Vcore then you should get near 190mhz FSB........ which is about 2.4ghz which isint bad but stock cooling isint an option!!

Ok, right i'll be investing in a new cooling system so. Need to get a job first. No wait, i never got my p60. Whole other story, but i believe its worth 700 to me and my sister owes me 250. hmmm, yeah i need a job for the summer, only working part time though, i intend to bulk up this year. Anyway back on topic,
    I'll be needing new heat sink and fans.
    It runs at 52C peak at stock speeds with stock cooler on it.

• Advertisement

Probably the best air coolers on the market would be the thermalrights.

There a nice big chunky heatsink that you choose the fan for. A heatsink like that and a decent high CFM fan and you should hit 2.4ghz or mabye more.

OR

go to www.excaliberpc.com and pick up an XP-M Xp2600+, its a mobile CPU that runs at 2ghz on 1.45v which is a great overclocker and isint locked :) . There going for under €100 and if you sell your Xp2800+ you will get that. The main thing about the Xp2600+ mobile is it will prob overclock more than the Xp2800+ and you can set your FSB to 200mhz+ taking full advantage of your memory........ worth thinkin about mabye.

Add a zalman 7000alcu for €30 and your talkin very nice speeds. www.hitide.ie , www.pc-look.com

Tempting alright. But i wouldn't get to sell it, i don't have enough nerdy friends, and i doubt i'd get selling it here, cuz people would wise up to what we are at. Ah feck. I'm tired, i hope this fecking encodes this time. I've been trying to make a divx of pirates of the caribbean since january. I'd say i have it this time. 91% through second pass. Actually XVid this time. WTF am i talking about. Nerdy crap, keep my head off the stuff i sould be worried about at the minute. :D
    Actually i must get new fans for this computer. P2.8 northwood. It sound like a hoover, but i bought it in PC world. Its got a coolmaster on the heat sink with a pipe/channel/ducting going to another cool master, it is loud.

You would sell it here without many problems i would think. Some people dont want to overclock and its perfect for them. Worth thinkin about anyway !!

Hate encoding sometimes takes way too long and your PC is almost un-useable while its workin.

Ahhhh, bout 5 hours that was. Sound is completly unsynced. Or out of sync. Thats the second time in a row. :mad:
    Thought i had all my bases covered that time. Anyway, i'm gone off topic again.
    I will think about it, the 2800+ is largely unused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im going to read those links and get some info before go doing anything anyway. Thanks

A question though i have 512 mb ram in it and its showing as 480. Is this normal?

• Advertisement

What video card do you have. System might be sharing some memory with it?

Onboard graphics on Abit NF7-M. That must be it then

Yea the system takes the 32mb and uses it for GFX.

How do ye guys find the board by the way?

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Yea the system takes the 32mb and uses it for GFX.

How do ye guys find the board by the way?

It works. Thats good enough for me. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I assume, that with a board like that if you install an agp graphics card it will release the 32MB back for general use?

Yea it does, once the AGP slot is in use i think it disables the on-board graphics and gives the 32mb back to main memory.

Advertisement