Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday 15th

• 16-04-2004 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

No matter whatever dapper says I had a rite to be in that pot. I dont care. :cool:

Long night it was last night. The freeze out only started at 11.45 or so. I decided to play uber tightish. Only played 1 hand on the first table I was on, KK, and won through easily. Was coming to the end of the 3rd round before the freeze out and I was moved with 550 in chips. Got AJ heart. All in pre flop, 4 callers, happy days 2 Jacks on the flop. Top Up. And sit tight again only playing a few hands and making the most out of my stack. Got to the final table.
    €1410 in prize fund which was 5 tickets + credit to 6th. Luke offered to make the fund €1500 with the club subsiding the rest. And all 6 had to just put in the € 20 reg fee on the night.

I have never seen 9 people play so tight, it took about 40 minutes to lose the first off the final table. Then Dappers hand came that he's going to curse me for. I was big blind and checked the callers on the blind. Flop shows 4, 4, 7. I look at my hand and see 9, 7. Ok time to bet baord paired. 10k into the middle. re-raised by Dapper forcing me all in. I call he shows A, 7. Flop nothing to help. Turn, the 9. So I was healthy then a decided to sit back and wait to win my seat. Dapper was robbed again in another hand to knock him out. One more went soon after and that was that.
    6 Tickets, yet another for Davey devil. Dont think any other Boards were on the final table. Now back in on Sunday to try and get a Vegas ticket...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thats a mystifying call Ger. What did you think he had? First thing in my mind would be 3 4s (unlikely to have called the BB with a 4) followed by better kicker. Surely you thought you were behind. Pot committed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Yup was pot committed and kinda thought i was behind. Thought he may have had 2 high cards but not the 7 aswell. Oh well.

It was only an extra 3-5 k for him to force me all in ontop of my bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

so have any of you ever made it to the final table without spending any money on top ups etc? and furthermore, have you ever won? I refuse to top up or buyin, if I go, I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I only topped up last night, no buy ins at all. And have on a few occasions made it to the final table for free. Then I know people who have spent €80 on a free night to get their ticket...

When you win a ticket the big tournament is of no cost atall to you. Myself and Davey Devil done well in the January 250 tournament. Not sure how others have gotten on since then. Dont think any body has placed but am open for correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

came 10th in the last one, 500 yo yo's... not bad for just a tenner top up when winning the ticket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Qualified twice at a cost of €20 each time I think. You should be prepared to rebuy and top up but if you're not you're not.
    I gave one ticket to a mate so I only played once in the big one. I was sitting right beside Noel Furlong and found it very educational but I didn't last long.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I decide each night how many buy ins I am going to buy. Usually I dont have to buy in but occasionally I have to if I get a bad beat or (more likely) I go spa and bet something lunatic. I always top up. Its always worth it imho unless you are stupidly far ahead in chips and it would only make a 10-20% difference...

I dunno about the big game ticket anymore... you have to play through the rebuy lottery of the Thursday night to win a ticket to sit with some of the best players in the country (maybe the world!) and get booted out inevitably. I know its a great night to play in etc but I'm beginning to think I prefer cold hard dirty cash to be honest :)

If you gave me a choice of 270 or a ticket to the big game, I'd be fairly likely to take the money... would you *buy* a ticket from cash in your pocket? (and dont tell me that having the choice is any different... thats suckers logic!)

In the 20-in I always budget for one rebuy and one topup (making 63 quid). Before I thought that exhorbitant but I think I can afford a few more games before I'm back to evens now :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by gerire
    I have never seen 9 people play so tight, it took about 40 minutes to lose the first off the final table. Then Dappers hand came that he's going to curse me for. I was big blind and checked the callers on the blind. Flop shows 4, 4, 7. I look at my hand and see 9, 7. Ok time to bet baord paired. 10k into the middle. re-raised by Dapper forcing me all in. I call he shows A, 7. Flop nothing to help. Turn, the 9. So I was healthy then a decided to sit back and wait to win my seat. Dapper was robbed again in another hand to knock him out.
    Actually the flop was 4,4,J and you had J7 and I had AJ. I should have raised the AJ but I hate raising from under the gun without something really good, poor decision on my part. Gerire bet out big trying to represent the 4, but he was a little hesitant so I put him on a Jack and put him all in. Damn 7 on the turn!

After that it just got silly I called an all in when in the big blind with A7o knew the guy was bluffing and now had to defend my blind. He flips 5,6 of diamonds but hits two fives on the flop and another on the turn. Grr. I was almost allin on the small blind next with J4 I put the rest in and prepare to leave. Flop comes J4Q I start thinking I might have a chance, one of the callers bets the big blind out of it and flips AQ and hits another queen on the river. I felt bad. Ah well twas a fun evening for €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by DeVore

I dunno about the big game ticket anymore... you have to play through the rebuy lottery of the Thursday night to win a ticket to sit with some of the best players in the country (maybe the world!) and get booted out inevitably. I know its a great night to play in etc but I'm beginning to think I prefer cold hard dirty cash to be honest :)

DeV.

Come on Dev, you're not going to give up that easily are you.

There's alot of very good players I agree but I find it easier playing against better players. Most of them aren't prepared to gamble away their 270 - they respect a raise so it makes for a good honest game. I look forward to playing against them every month - it's why I play poker, I wouldn't dream of taking €270 instead of playing these guys. Forget about the money it's the sport of the game you should be thinking about. Taking on and beating the best players around. That's why I love poker, suppose the money ain't bad either ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah but I like getting paid too :)

I agree with you about the better the players the better the game which is why I enjoy the 20-in and it has a cash prize! Who said anything about giving up! I'm still gonna play the freerolls all the same but I'll be limiting my rebuys to save money for the 20-in!

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement