Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bb With Win Xp Pro - Speed Icon?

• 16-04-2004 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

Why is it that when I hover over the terminal icon in the system tray it says IOL BB speed 28.8kps!!!!???

This is all new to me so totally mystified!!

gb--

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you certain that it hasn't gone to dial-up? One of my lot forgot to switch on or enable BB modem and the dial-up kicked in when they launched Outlook Express - damn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I thought that as well but did a speed test and it is chugging along at 270kbps.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When i have my utv-supplied zyxel USB modem connected to a Windows 2000 PC it says "connected at 8mbps" (8mbps is the max speed of the modem). When its connected to an XP PC it says the true 512kbps. Odd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my eircom netopia modem says im connected at 100Mps which is the max speed of my network card , im using windows xp, wish it wud just say 512bps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Gonzo
    my eircom netopia modem says im connected at 100Mps which is the max speed of my network card , im using windows xp, wish it wud just say 512bps.

Obviously , you have a 100mb link between your pc and the netopia device.I presume the netopia device has some sort of a control panel that shows your external WAN connection speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Have a ZyXel Prestige USB modem here, whenever I connect it says 10.0Mbps! Its only a modem setting, no need to get too excited.

Advertisement