Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Women football Farce

• 16-04-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I think this is redciolous, so let me get this right.

The association has done a deal with O'Neills so every county has to use their brand of jerseys!!!

The Mayo women are the all-Ireland champions and now because the wore Azzurri Jerseys they have "were suspended from "all activities of the Association"

Full story: http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0416/mayoladies.html

I think this is a joke, the GAA appear to one big dictatorship to me:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

was it not that they were fined for wearing azzurri kits and fined....didn't/wouldn't pay the fine and hence are suspended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Kaimera
    was it not that they were fined for wearing azzurri kits and fined....didn't/wouldn't pay the fine and hence are suspended?

Not sure on the full story, they were fine €22,000 then had it reduced to €2,000

I think the whole thing is a joke

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The is ridiculous, pure dictatorship. I hear that O'Neills are the only supplier allowed to bid for kits and gaa supplies and that Azzurri tried to apply to supply but never got a reply.

The Mayo ladies signed a contract until 2005, before O'Neills were "signed" up.
    So the GAA tried to force this on the Mayo Ladies, they did not want to change as they were contracted to Azzurri and were getting an excellent, they were then fined a record 22k Euro last year.
    The fought this decision and yesterday the thrown out of all grades of ladies football.

An emergency Mayo Council meeting was held last nite to discuss this so we will see what happens.
    Personally I think that they should not give into this at all. Why should a team be forced into picking a supplier.
    The GAA have yet to give an explanation to the ladies as to why they have to wear O'Neills and have also to explain why this was not put out to other companies to bid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

the gaa are some shower alright. Although I not sure if the Mayo ladies were kicked out I think they may have withdrawn in protest.

I think they should stick to their guns

I was wrong they were suspended the Mayo Girls U14's were stoped from playing Galway tonight. There is a slightly more important match coming up soon...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Alany
    I was wrong they were suspended the Mayo Girls U14's were stoped from playing Galway tonight. There is a slightly more important match coming up soon...

Fecking disgrace, GAA is seriously one fu*ked up organisation.

U14's prevented from playing, thats a disgrace, and people wonder why i call them the

:mad: GRAB ALL ASSOCIATION :mad:

Oh by the way alany, can you not find a bigger sig:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well it seems it has been solved, not sure what the solution was to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Not sure on the full story..................... Fecking disgrace, GAA is seriously one fu*ked up organisation

Maby you should consider doing a quick google before you post. Just the basic facts might help in forming an opinion!!!

The Gaa has always had standardised kit etc and a deal done with O'Neills. THis may change in the future but at the time it wasnt.

The ladies wore the azurri kit after the semi-final ....for interviews etc etc and wore the full kit for the final.

Of coarse the GAA are going to have to enforce their rules. Nearly every sport in the world has regulations regarding kit.

They reduced the fine to a "token" (dont do it again) €2000 and still the Mayo county board wouldnt back down. I mean FFS IMO the GAA wasnt left with a choice.

Am I wrong here. Does anyone know the full story , inside information as to why Mayo are coming across as completely stubborn.

I take it that you think FIFA are a shower of ****ers too Irish. I mean enforcing kit regulations on those cameroon players. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3633409.stm

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Maby you should consider doing a quick google before you post. Just the basic facts might help in forming an opinion!!!

I read the article that I linked to when I opened the thread, I first heard of it on RTE RADIO 1 news.

Can you show me what FACTS I have got wrong??

Oh and this thread is entitled "Mayo Women Football Farce".

So if you want to discuss FIFA and cameroon, got to the soccer forum, oh and btw it was not against who makes the kit is was because they had the kit i.e shirt and shorts made all in one, totally different issue.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

The Gaa has always had standardised kit etc and a deal done with O'Neills. THis may change in the future but at the time it wasnt.
    If when you say the GAA you mean the Ladies Football part of the GAA (CLG na Mban - I think) then that may be so but the main body of the GAA has always had a rule about the gear having to be from an Irish company but never just O'Neills. There was a problem with the Kerry kit a few years ago when they had a deal with Adidas (even though they branded it as something else, with 3 stripes). The Irishness of Adidas was the debate there and not the fact that it wasn't O'Neills. Connelly Sports used to make Galways gear in the 80's also.

As for this Mayo thing it seems the CLG na Mban must have done this deal without consultation with the counties. I don't know how their rules differ from the main GAA but it seems a bit odd to me that they can dictate such things to all the counties without the counties getting a say.

• Advertisement

Mayo agreed a deal with Azzuri BEFORE CLG na Mban had signed a contract with O'Neill, but Mayo did not wish to go back on their contract with Azzuri.
    Waterford have also agreed a deal with Azzuri for next year, are they also going to face the same competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Well Mighty Mouse I do think Fifa are a shower of f*cker for what theyare doing to Cameroon over their jerseys. A jersey is just an item of clothing and no real advantage can be got from the style of it, so I think each country should be allowed wear what they want, regardless of whether they have sleeves. On the flip side how do you think United or Arsenal would respond if the FA tried to dictate who could manufacture their jersey or who could sponsor it. I think each county should be able to negotiate these deals for themselves, and I think the Mayo Ladies did the right thing in refusing to pay the fines.

My problem in general is people being a little too eager to bash the GAA at every opportunity.
    Oh and this thread is entitled "Mayo Women Football Farce".
    your point? Is a person not allowed to contribute unless they are to bash the GAA?
    So if you want to discuss FIFA and cameroon, got to the soccer forum
    Oh, come on. Its a regulation of kit issue.
    so I think each country should be allowed wear what they want
    They're should be absolutley no regulation in relation to kit?
    I think each county should be able to negotiate these deals for themselves
    I'm not sure. Maby within specific guidelines. Do you not think it's better for the Gaa to support irish companies than outsource the manufacturing of all gear and kit to some african country for example?
    Mayo agreed a deal with Azzuri BEFORE CLG na Mban had signed a contract with O'Neill
    How comes every other county was able to keep within the GAA regulations? There must of been a precendant with O'neils or at least with the GAA deciding the manufacturer.

your point? Is a person not allowed to contribute unless they are to bash the GAA?
    I meant stick to the topic.

Oh, come on. Its a regulation of kit issue.
    Not in the same sense at all, FIFA do not confirm any country to use only 1 Manufacter, their issue is that shorts and Jersey should be 2 seperate pieces totally different argument

How comes every other county was able to keep within the GAA regulations? There must of been a precendant with O'neils or at least with the GAA deciding the manufacturer.
    Waterford have a simalar contract signed

I think The rule about Irish companies and GAA kits is wrong in this day of the European Union. I think the Rule should be extended to the entire EU. And I thionk this rule which I dont fully understand about only oneils kit to be work at semi or final stages to be very anticompetitive..

Im not missing the point that the GAA is there to support and develop all things Irish but times they have changed and we are part of a bigger community now.

And I thionk this rule which I dont fully understand about only oneils kit to be work at semi or final stages
    No this is what happened. I dont think your allowed at any stage but the Mayo ladies pushed their luck knowing that they were coming to end of the championship.
    I think The rule about Irish companies and GAA kits is wrong in this day of the European Union.
    I don't. I really believe that the GAA's philosopy of a bias towards Irish companies is a right one.
    The only reason I would support opening up the market is to ensure competitive prices, quality gear etc has to be assured (usually by competition).
    I meant stick to the topic
    how did I not?
    Not in the same sense at all, FIFA do not confirm any country to use only 1 Manufacter, their issue is that shorts and Jersey should be 2 seperate pieces totally different argument
    :rolleyes: its a regulation of kit issue Irish. Your getting into technicalities.Anyways I do see the situation opening up.
    Waterford have a simalar contract signed
    well then waterford are goin to have problems too.
    the flip side how do you think United or Arsenal would respond if the FA tried to dictate who could manufacture their jersey
    I dont think Man United and Arsenal should be used as an example of best practice for anything in the GAA!!! So would you like a situation where a completely new jersey is brough every year when Co. Dublin, Roscommon, Clare etc change manufacturers!!

This can all be done in a sensible regulated manner.The fact of the matter is that county boards want to start shopping around for prices etc .Its GAA money FFS!!! It would be like Coca Cola Ireland disagreeing with Coca Cola HQ in American on how to spend their money!!!

Mighty_Mouse,

You tried to compare two completely different arguments so don't bother rolling your eyes until you can see that.

I think you should other posts and see that your in the minority who believe that the GAA should be able dictate what every county does in relation to kit deals.

AS someone else posted, Mayo had done the deal before the GAA had

You tried to compare two completely different arguments so don't bother rolling your eyes until you can see that
    They're not two different arguments IMO.
    who believe that the GAA should be able dictate what every county does in relation to kit deals.
    I think most ppl would accept that kit needs to be regulated. The discussion is whether only o'neills should be allowed to manufactur kit.

Also remember being in the minority doesnt mean your wrong.

Mighty mouse don't get me wrong, I think you are making some very good points. I do not even disagree with you on opening the market up to non Irish manufacturers, although the legality of such a move is very questionable, but I would be happy to see every county use Irish manufacturers. However, I also think competition in these things is essential. I think a comparable example is the FAI selling International soccer rights to Sky. RTE were totally abusing there position as state broadcaster by only offering €1m. When they did not get the contract they screamed til;l the government forced the FAI to change the deal. For once, i thought the FAI did the right thing, however that debate is for another thread. My point is that RTE kept taking advantage till they went too far, and this would be similar in any closed market longterm, so for that reason alone I think O Neils needs to have competition. As regards the parameters you suggest for the jerseys, I agree that there has to be certain rules, but I do not think that the manufacturer should be imposed on someone. As for your Coca Cola point, I think that is a bad analogy. Each county should be able to reinvest proceeds from contract negotiations like this into their own county, again GAA would have to have audit rights on the expenditure, but the money should be allowed to stay in that county. This would not be the case in a multi national company which is a profit seeking organisation. The GAA is a not for profit organisation ( supposedly).

Are you 8 years old Irish?

I think thats bordering on a Personal insult

They're not two different arguments IMO. I think most ppl would accept that kit needs to be regulated. The discussion is whether only o'neills should be allowed to manufactur kit.

Yes they are, read the two storeys, one is an organisation suspended a county for wearing a kit that they had signed a contract to wear before the GAA had signed their deal with the GAA.

The other is FIFA deducting points from cameroon for wearing a kit that is in breach of teh rules because it is all 1 suit. Nothing to do with cameroon being forced to wear 1 particular brand.

The discussion is not whether or not O'Neills should be allowed to manufactur the kit, it is about the Mayo Ladies Football team being suspeneded for wearing Azzuri made Kits.

Now keep you silly remarks to yourself and try and discuss the topic.

Alany I think the thread should be closed if people can't stick to discussing what I opened the thread to discuss.

• Advertisement

3 things Lads

1. I think this is a excellent discussion, Im reading up on the whole issue right now
    and I think its being debated quite well ( with me being and obvious exception)
    I tend to agree with you on the issue Irish1, but Mouse its making good points.

2. I think the referance to FIFA is a valid one (ever so slightly) , Its being used mearly to illistruae a point. As far as I can see the subject has stayed (mainly) on the issue of the Mayo ladies kit and the GAA ( part form the last few comments) . So as long as we are staying on topic no need to close anything ..right ?

3. Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Are you 8 years old Irish?

This is a personal insult and according to the charter its not allowed mouse, please refrain for such comments. This is a friendly warning.

Alany.

Personally I thought that Mayo were daft not taking their 2k fine and getting on with it but in hindesight the contract with Azzuri (an Irish company) was in place before the CLG Ladies board go involved.
    As far as I can see tough luck the GAA, it is like you going out buying your motor, you have it for 6 months, then all of a sudden the manufacturers come back and say sorry but here in Dublin you can only drive skoda so you will have to give back your Toyota...... that is the point of view from the Mayo ladies which is fair enough.

It seems the CLG Ladies are piss** off that they had not tied everyone to O'Neills. You could say that Mayo were wrong but now Waterford and I think Dublin are going down the same line, so if they are goin the same way then there not be anything wrong with it.

I don't know, I just do not like the way that the GAA are bullying the counties into a kit provider. This to me is anti competitive. The do not do this in Rugby or soccer or Golf or other sports I can think of, why have the GAA to be different?

Alany,

As long as the issue is being dicussed and theres no more insults, I'm happy to see it stay open.

This is a personal insult and according to the charter its not allowed mouse, please refrain for such comments
    My apologies and edited. I'm a bit cranky today.

"ON TOPIC" =
    Whether Mayo should be banned for wearing Azzurri? - they werent, they were fined. they were banned for not paying the fine.

Irish, I can understand the difference in the two regulation of kit stories. I was using it to make a point. : point: "kit needs regulation"
    Alany I think the thread should be closed if people can't stick to discussing what I opened the thread to discuss
    Im sorry for the previous remark but you have repeatedly told me to stay on topic Irish. I cant see where I haven't? Maby we should be restricted to Yes/No answers in here?
    The discussion is not whether or not O'Neills should be allowed to manufacture the kit, it is about the Mayo Ladies Football team being suspeneded for wearing Azzuri made Kits
    You cant fully divorce the two issues Irish. But they're different points to be made on both:
    Mayo Ladies: are the 'only' county in Female football to break this rule.There is a long-term precedent set within the GAA of using oneils. So if Waterford have done it also, then they're also breaking with GAA tradition and the precedent set (I dont know the details of contracts signed ,dates, legailty etc ).

You have to accept that Mayo knew that this was gonna bring them trouble whenever contracts were signed.Mayo knew what they were doing was not endorsed by HQ. Thats why they only wore the shirts in the final.

The GAA reduced the fine from 20,000 to 2,000 in order to clear the issue up quickly and easily and just send out the message that they would like to be consulted on changes to kit. I think Mayo should of paid the 2000
    - To this extent I think all county boards should work cooperatively with the GAA HQ and not try to "get one over" behind their backs

There needs to regulation of kit - - (including manufacturers.......in that manufacturers have to be 'approved' by HQ)

I would prefer another Irish company (e.g. Fruit of the loom, )if competition is necessary (it may not). I'm sure this is legal with the GAA being a private organisation.
    Do people here endorse workers for O'Neills losing their jobs so Addidas, Rebok can pay a few chinese €1 day to make gaa shirts?
    Proposals on everything the GAA does has to be motivated by more than profit. So what, if its not the most profitable to use irish companies to manufacture shirts. The benefit to the GAA and Irish society is greater than it would be using Addidas.

Mighty Mouse,

Apology accepted, I just wanted the topic discussed rather than an ergument over one point.
    Do people here endorse workers for O'Neills losing their jobs so Addidas, Rebok can pay a few chinese €1 day to make gaa shirts?
    Proposals on everything the GAA does has to be motivated by more than profit. So what, if its not the most profitable to use irish companies to manufacture shirts. The benefit to the GAA and Irish society is greater than it would be using Addidas.

I thought Azzuri were Irish???

I can understand the GAA want to try and keep their business within Ireland, but the sport is amatuer, so I think if Mayo can get a better deal elsewhere, fair play.

I mean to fine the team is one thing but to then suspend them, and stop an U14 game going ahead is just wrong, morally if not legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think you've got some facts wrong here (if not then I have). But here's what I think:
    Mayo Ladies: are the 'only' county in Female football to break this rule.There is a long-term precedent set within the GAA of using oneils. So if Waterford have done it also, then they're also breaking with GAA tradition and the precedent set (I dont know the details of contracts signed ,dates, legailty etc ).
    O'Neills are used by the majority of counties in the GAA. The rule on the books of the GAA says that the kit must be made in Ireland, nothing about O'Neills. Now the CLG na mBan is seperate to the GAA. They follow most of the same rules and regulations but they are still seperate. They seem to be the ones who signed the deal with O'Neills (not to be confused with the GAA as a whole). They also seem to have signed it without consulting the counties. If they did consult the counties then there is surely no way Mayo would have agreed to this seeing as they signed their own deal with Azzuri. So for me the issue here is whether the CLG na mBan is entitled to sign a contract without consulting affected parties?
    You have to accept that Mayo knew that this was gonna bring them trouble whenever contracts were signed.Mayo knew what they were doing was not endorsed by HQ. Thats why they only wore the shirts in the final.
    Again my understanding here is that no contract with O'Neills was in place when Mayo signed their deal.
    The GAA reduced the fine from 20,000 to 2,000 in order to clear the issue up quickly and easily and just send out the message that they would like to be consulted on changes to kit. I think Mayo should of paid the 2000
    - To this extent I think all county boards should work cooperatively with the GAA HQ and not try to "get one over" behind their backs
    For me the CLG na mBan is at fault here and not the teams. But that is just my opinion.
    There needs to regulation of kit - - (including manufacturers.......in that manufacturers have to be 'approved' by HQ)
    I don't agree with this either. Regulation fine but lists of approved manufacturers, no way.
    I would prefer another Irish company (e.g. Fruit of the loom, )if competition is necessary (it may not).
    Companies include: Azzuri, Nuri, Connelly Sports and the adidas related company Kerry used a few years ago. And that's just off the top of my head I'm sure there's more.
    I'm sure this is legal with the GAA being a private organisation.
    Do people here endorse workers for O'Neills losing their jobs so Adidas, Rebok can pay a few chinese €1 day to make gaa shirts?
    There are Irish options. Also in these days of EUland I think if a case was brought to Europe that Irish-only manufacturer rule would be ruled illegal. Of course noone wants to see workers lose their jobs but having a monopoly is not the correct way to save/keep jobs.

from I have read ( havent been able to find much on the subject) Imposter is correct.
    I tend to agree with his view.

It would definitely be illegal. It flies in the face of all EU competition laws. Private Organisation or not this would definitely be contestable in the courts. I agree that I would rather see Irish manufacturers used, but there are other manufacturers out there apart from ONeils, do they not deserve similar treatment. As for the precedent of the GAA using O Neils, this is not quite correct. Several counties have used non-ONeils kit before, so the precedent was actually set the other way, in that it is acceptable to use other manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leinsterlass

from a ladies football point of view the level of funding is low, and Mayo got a great deal with azzurri as a result of their success, deservedly so
    for the deal with O'Neills to have been organised on behalf of ALL county teams is a joke,
    and as it was signed after Mayos original deal it shouldn't be valid until after theirs finishes

that said, if you agree to an independent arbitrator, ya cant just ignore what he says cos ya dont like it

• Advertisement

that said, if you agree to an independent arbitrator, ya cant just ignore what he says cos ya dont like it

I think you can, as far as i know an independant arbitrator can only advise and doesnt actually have any power.

Advertisement