Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Series Questions

• 16-04-2004 3:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Great Article on cardplayer.com - http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13954

So lets have your answers:-

Question 1: If you won a World Series of Poker satellite and collected $10,000 in cash, if given the opportunity — would you rather keep the cash (and not play) or take your chances in the championship event?

Keep the money

Play in the tournament

Question 2: If you could determine the outcome in advance, would you be content with a respectable "in the money" finish in the WSOP main event — which pays $15,000 (netting a profit of $5,000)?

Yes

No

Question 3: All things being equal, which do you think is more difficult in a typical World Series event — making it "into the money" or "winning" a final table? (Note: Assume that 10 percent of the field is paid, and the final table consists of 10 players.)

Making it into the money is more difficult

Winning the final table is more difficult

Question 4: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "My odds of winning an event at the World Series of Poker are better than the average poker player's chances."

Agree

Disagree

Question 5: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt K-K. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is a well-respected top pro. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Question 6: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt K-K. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is an unknown amateur. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Question 7: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt Q-Q. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is an unknown amateur. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Question 8: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt A-A. Incredibly, before you act, Player No. 1 moves all in before the flop. Player No. 2 calls. Player No. 3 calls. Everyone else folds around to you. What will you do? (Note: You have no prior knowledge of your opponents.)

Call

Fold

Question 9: You are lowest in chips in the tournament and five places from the money. At that point, would you be satisfied to finish "in the money," which means getting your buy-in back, plus netting a small profit?

Yes

No

Question 10: If forced to choose, would you rather play heads up for a gold bracelet in the championship event against a poker superstar or an unknown player?

A poker superstar

An unknown player

Question 11: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "If I get heads up at the final table and am even in chips with Howard Lederer (or another similar top pro), I believe I have just as good a chance to win as he does."

Agree

Disagree

Question 12: You are playing in a preliminary World Series event, and you are even in chips with just one opponent remaining. Forgetting the ethical ramifications for a moment, your opponent offers a deal in which you take first-place prize money of $150,000, versus $75,000 for second. In turn, he wins the gold bracelet. What would you do?

Accept the deal and take the money

Play for the gold bracelet

Question 13: Down to three players at the final table of the championship event, you are down about 2-1 in chips to both opponents. You are offered the deal of second-place prize money of $2 million, but you will not win the championship. The payouts are $3 million for first, $2 million for second, and $1 million for third place. Would you accept the guaranteed $2 million or play for the world championship instead?

Play for the championship

Question 14: Given that you already have a seat in the WSOP $10,000 buy-in championship event, do you believe you have a chance to win it?

Yes

No

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Q1 - Keep the money. If it happened a second time, I'd re-consider.
    Q2 - I'd be happy with $15K
    Q3 - Making it into the money (more reckless play)
    Q4 - Disagree
    Q5 - Fold my KK (a pro wouldn't want to go out first, so he must be holding AA/KK)
    Q6 - Getting trickier. Fold.
    Q7 - Fold.
    Q8 - Call.
    Q9 - Yes - satisfied with money.
    Q10 - Superstar (at least if you lost, you have a hell of a stiry for your grandkids).
    Q11 - Disagree.
    Q12 - Play for the bracelet
    Q13 - Show me the money!
    Q14 - Yes. A very, very, very, small chance..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Question 1: If you won a World Series of Poker satellite and collected $10,000 in cash, if given the opportunity — would you rather keep the cash (and not play) or take your chances in the championship event?

Keep the money

Play in the tournament

Keep the money. I'm staking 10K to try and win 1M (afaik thats the WSOP top prize?). Theres a lot more then 100 players in the competition and most are better then me. The correct bet is to fold and take the cash :)

Question 2: If you could determine the outcome in advance, would you be content with a respectable "in the money" finish in the WSOP main event — which pays $15,000 (netting a profit of $5,000)?

Yes

No

Yes. I'd still like to play it without knowing the outcome though... selective memory wipe! I play for enjoyment as much as for cash.

Question 3: All things being equal, which do you think is more difficult in a typical World Series event — making it "into the money" or "winning" a final table? (Note: Assume that 10 percent of the field is paid, and the final table consists of 10 players.)

Making it into the money is more difficult

Winning the final table is more difficult

Er... winning the final table HAS to be more difficult since you have to be in the money to even GET to the final table.... is this a trick question or am I being thick?

Question 4: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "My odds of winning an event at the World Series of Poker are better than the average poker player's chances."

Agree

Disagree

Agree. However my odds of winning an event at the WSOP are *worse* then the average player at the WSOP.... subtle difference!

Even 3 Months playing seriously will put you above the norm because its not an even distribution. There is a pyramid of players... very few world class pros at the top and a very wide base of home/kitchen players at the bottom. Just one step up that pyramid puts you ahead of a large number of people. Unfortunately for all of us, only the top class players play in the WSOP... hence my answer!

Question 5: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt K-K. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is a well-respected top pro. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Fold

Question 6: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt K-K. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is an unknown amateur. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Fold

Question 7: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt Q-Q. You make a standard preflop raise, and are shocked when an opponent announces, "All in." The opponent is an unknown amateur. What will you do?

Call

Fold

Fold

Question 8: On the very first hand of the WSOP championship event, you are dealt A-A. Incredibly, before you act, Player No. 1 moves all in before the flop. Player No. 2 calls. Player No. 3 calls. Everyone else folds around to you. What will you do? (Note: You have no prior knowledge of your opponents.)

Call

Fold

Fold. Player 1 has KK or QQ, Player 2 has AK or KK, Player 3 MUST have something even bigger like AA. Either way between the 3 of them my 2 other aces are gone, meaning my hand wont get better with the exception of some freak flops like 888.
    The odds are probably still in my favour marginally but at best its close to a 50-50 shot with the pot odds. I'd fold unless I'd been drinking heavily :)

Question 9: You are lowest in chips in the tournament and five places from the money. At that point, would you be satisfied to finish "in the money," which means getting your buy-in back, plus netting a small profit?

Yes

No

I'm always happy to make a small profit. Any night you walk out with more money then you walked in is automatically a good night :)

Question 10: If forced to choose, would you rather play heads up for a gold bracelet in the championship event against a poker superstar or an unknown player?

A poker superstar

An unknown player

POkerstar. Not only will it make a better story but I can probably predict him a bit better then an unknown.

Question 11: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "If I get heads up at the final table and am even in chips with Howard Lederer (or another similar top pro), I believe I have just as good a chance to win as he does."

Agree

Disagree

Disagree. Heads up isnt a coin-toss!

Question 12: You are playing in a preliminary World Series event, and you are even in chips with just one opponent remaining. Forgetting the ethical ramifications for a moment, your opponent offers a deal in which you take first-place prize money of $150,000, versus $75,000 for second. In turn, he wins the gold bracelet. What would you do?

Play for the gold bracelet

Play for the bracelet (and the money!)

Question 13: Down to three players at the final table of the championship event, you are down about 2-1 in chips to both opponents. You are offered the deal of second-place prize money of $2 million, but you will not win the championship. The payouts are $3 million for first, $2 million for second, and $1 million for third place. Would you accept the guaranteed $2 million or play for the world championship instead?

Play for the championship

Play for the championship. They both have less chips then I, the blinds will gut them or they will fall on each other before I am whittled down. Then its heads up with someone on an equalish stack and so I've got the 2Million they were offering in the bag and *still* have a shot at the title.

Question 14: Given that you already have a seat in the WSOP $10,000 buy-in championship event, do you believe you have a chance to win it?

Yes

No

My mother has a chance to win the WSOP. Just not a very good one. YEs I have a chance to win, its not a lot better then my mothers but I have a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by DeVore

Keep the money. I'm staking 10K to try and win 1M (afaik thats the WSOP top prize?). Theres a lot more then 100 players in the competition and most are better then me. The correct bet is to fold and take the cash :)

Last year the top prize was €2.5 million and there were over 800 entrants. This year they are expecting somewhere in the region of 1500 players meaning the top prize could be close to 4 million dollars. This could be the last year the tourney will be held in Binions because it's not big enough to supply the demand - although the final table will be played at Binions to keep with traditions.

If i win a ticket this Thursday(very doubtful) I would definitely go to Vegas, beside I'd say the boys in The Fitz would be pissed if you won a ticket and didn't go.

Edit: What's wrong with my sig it's gone???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Having asked I should answer.

1. I'm not sure. I always say I'll play the WSOP - chance of a lifetime but it's the romantic side of me. It's like you're offered a month on safari in Africa (something I've always wanted to do) or the money. I take the trip.
    2. My first hope would be making it past the first day so making the money would of course be good enough.
    3. The question here is having made it to the final table is the process of winning it from then on more difficult than getting in the money. I think getting in the money is more difficult. Simple odds. Say to place in the top 50 out of 1000 players (what it may well be this year) as opposed to placing first out of 9 players.
    4. I think by average it's means players like us so I would not rate my chances any higher. As Dev says there will be a large amount in 1000 that are weaker than me but in general I would not consider my chances higher than the average. I'm no Phil Helmuth.
    5. Fold.
    6. Fold.
    7. Fold.
    8. Fold - we've discussed these kind of scenarios and though the pocket Aces might be the one you might consider calling in the case presented you have 3 players of which only one has to get lucky to send you packing. Not for me on hand 1 day 1 thanks.
    9. Yes. Making the money in the WSOP would mean I would be making a massive profit anyway as I would never have payed the $10000 myself anyway.
    10. Poker Superstar for the reason the others have mentioned. It's also a chance to see if you can take them.
    11. Disagree.
    12. Play for the bracelet. I want money but I want some glory and my name in the records books. In my dreams anyway.
    13. Play on for glory. Either you love this game like any sport or you don't. By the way Dev the question is saying that your 2 opponents have twice your chips (2-1 down). I would still play on.
    14. As Dev says we all have a chance but doubtful.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Last year the top prize was €2.5 million and there were over 800 entrants. This year they are expecting somewhere in the region of 1500 players meaning the top prize could be close to 4 million dollars. This could be the last year the tourney will be held in Binions because it's not big enough to supply the demand - although the final table will be played at Binions to keep with traditions.

If i win a ticket this Thursday(very doubtful) I would definitely go to Vegas, beside I'd say the boys in The Fitz would be pissed if you won a ticket and didn't go.

Edit: What's wrong with my sig it's gone???

So 1 in 1500 to win 4,000,000 with a 10K stake. Even if the outcome was a random lottery (which, lets face it, it isnt!) the pot would need to exceed 15M to make it a worthwhile bet. I'd put 8K in the bank and take 2K to pay for a blow out holiday in Las Vegas at the same as the WSOP... :)
    Call me pragmatic!

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement