Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alterntaives to xDSL in the Sandyford/Leopardstown area

• 16-04-2004 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have had a look though old posts and cannot find an answer to this.. So here it goes..

I am considering getting BB installed into the new house. I would prefer to avoid paying a monthly rental to Eircom so an alternative to xDSL is ideal... Wireless you shout!!

What provider would you recommend in this area. A 512 or 1024 service with decent pings and a large/no cap would be perfect. A symetrical service would be perfect but a decent upload rate would be sufficient.

I know location may be a major factor with wireless, I am living jsut beside leopardstown race course.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

If you can see the antenna on three rock mountain then you'll be fine for wireless. You should be if you're near the race course anyways :) Irish Broadband and some other crowd have connectivity from the three rock antenna's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrbump

Man give Irish broadband (they are in sandyford) a shout, Ive' been with them for just over a year now and they seem to have their **** sorted as its been pretty solid over the last 6 months now, personally I wouldn't give Eircom the steam off my piss even for free unlimited access, I get my phone off esat now too. www.irishbroadband.ie also they don't have a cap.

esat also do a dsl service btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

esat also do a dsl service btw.

Yeah i know that, still gotta give Eircom the phone line rental. As you said, wouldn't want to give them the steam of my piss...

I presume IBB and Leap are the best options for the area? What sort of pings can I expect from IBB in particular and do they have a poxy AUP?

IBB is a decent alternative. They seem to have sorted out mingin pings and crappy dl speeds.

My ping to boards:

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 27, Received = 27, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 132ms, Average = 46ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

try ibb, I did but couldn't get a signal with ripwave, dont know if they tried the line of sight jobby. Am also beside the racecourse

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pataman
    try ibb, I did but couldn't get a signal with ripwave, dont know if they tried the line of sight jobby. Am also beside the racecourse

Where abouts exactly are you? You can PM me if you like to keep that private!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What's the minimum contract term for IBB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Yeah i know that, still gotta give Eircom the phone line rental.

Not necessarly. You can get esat to disable the voice over your phone line if you get unbundled dsl. No monthly line rental payable to eircom then, just the monthly dsl charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I presume if you can't get Ripwave, you wont be able to get the line of sight product, but its worth a shot! The minimum contract period is 1 year, as it is with most ISP's.

At the moment pings to boards are averaging 26ms, which ain't as good as it used to be, but its getting there! I think the recent upgrades have fixed the recent ping problems.

The main advantage of IBB is its' uncapped, if you so wish you can transfer 120gigs both ways each month. i.e. 120 up AND 120 down.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Not necessarly. You can get esat to disable the voice over your phone line if you get unbundled dsl. No monthly line rental payable to eircom then, just the monthly dsl charge.

How would you go about that? Does that apply to Esat BT's ADSL services or IOL's RDSL service?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I presume if you can't get Ripwave, you wont be able to get the line of sight product, but its worth a shot! The minimum contract period is 1 year, as it is with most ISP's.

At the moment pings to boards are averaging 26ms, which ain't as good as it used to be, but its getting there! I think the recent upgrades have fixed the recent ping problems.

The main advantage of IBB is its' uncapped, if you so wish you can transfer 120gigs both ways each month. i.e. 120 up AND 120 down.

That sounds really good, pretty much exaclty what I am looking for... Where abouts are you mutant_fruit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's available on any of the ~40 exchanges that Esat/BT have unbundled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'm in Rathfarnham (ballyroan) myself, so i'm on the Tallaght tower, but i doubt you can get that one.

If you go with a 1meg service, you can probably get the VL equipment, which has a longer range, and doesn't ahve to be perfect line-of-sight. But that would set you back a good few notes alright.

Check this link to see if you might be in coverage... http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/coverage_maps/areas_live.htm

Originally posted by Moriarty
    It's available on any of the ~40 exchanges that Esat/BT have unbundled.

Yeah but Leopardstown/Sandyford isnt unbundled by EsatBT so that is not an option.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I'm in Rathfarnham (ballyroan) myself, so i'm on the Tallaght tower, but i doubt you can get that one.

If you go with a 1meg service, you can probably get the VL equipment, which has a longer range, and doesn't ahve to be perfect line-of-sight. But that would set you back a good few notes alright.

Check this link to see if you might be in coverage... http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdoc.../areas_live.htm

Cool thanks..

I was looking ath the map for Sandyford and according it, my house is covered. You will see on the map where the Leopardstown label is, there is a roundabout beside it. I am just slightly to the north east of that by about 1 centimetre. Hopefully this is a good thing.

Advertisement