Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor and Nokia 6600

Options
  • 16-04-2004 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Been informed by meteor while trying to find out why the ISP settings for them i got off the nokia website dont work that: "that we do not
    support access to the internet via Opera on your phone. "
    Which is a real kick in the teeth considering i wasnt told this by them before i bought it, and spent €495 on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

edit: forgot to ask (and you didn't mention ;))... but checking the price you quoted it looks like you are on pre-pay? - they had not opened up the isp.meteor.ie GPRS access point to pre-pay last time i asked - only to contract customers... Opera needs this ISP access point (not the WAP access point)...

---

have they checked the settings? and made sure you are set up on the access point ok?

sometimes 3rd party OTA settings can be wrong (as can 1st party ;)) so always best to check with the operator's support that all is correct

opera is just a standard web browser - they might not directly support it (it is a 3rd party application) - but if you are set up correctly (phone settings and on the network) to use the isp.meteor.ie access point then there shouldn't be a problem...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Ya correct i am indeed on prepay! Meteor dont actually have the settings on their website!

Here are the settings i got from nokia website(http://nokia.com/nokia/0,,32863,00.html):

Connection name: Meteor ISP
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point name : isp.meteor.ie
    User name: my
    prompt password: no
    password: (it doesnt show)
    Authentication:Normal
    Homepage: http://wap.mymeteor.ie

Originally posted by DubWireless
    edit: forgot to ask (and you didn't mention ;))... but checking the price you quoted it looks like you are on pre-pay? - they had not opened up the isp.meteor.ie GPRS access point to pre-pay last time i asked - only to contract customers... Opera needs this ISP access point (not the WAP access point)...

---

have they checked the settings? and made sure you are set up on the access point ok?

sometimes 3rd party OTA settings can be wrong (as can 1st party ;)) so always best to check with the operator's support that all is correct

opera is just a standard web browser - they might not directly support it (it is a 3rd party application) - but if you are set up correctly (phone settings and on the network) to use the isp.meteor.ie access point then there shouldn't be a problem...

BrianG

they only recently launched the ISP service, you need to contact them to have or make sure it is set up on an account, calling 1905 or emailing internetaccess AT meteor.ie - they can set you up and outline the configuration to you (for contract only last time i checked)

just having the settings on the phone isn't enough as you also need to set-up on the network to have access to the GPRS ISP service

btw, is there any Meteor branding on the 6600 you got?

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by Celticwarrior
    Been informed by meteor while trying to find out why the ISP settings for them i got off the nokia website dont work that: "that we do not
    support access to the internet via Opera on your phone. "
    Which is a real kick in the teeth considering i wasnt told this by them before i bought it, and spent €495 on it.

likewise, just got myself this fone for 499.

is there anyway i can unlock it? i have dct4 software and entered 4 or 5 codes with no luck. i think if u enter 7 you need a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

sorry, got it working at last, flip got myself worried there.

it said 'code error' but it actually worked! anyway, this is a class fone, only had it a few hours but it does SO much. a little fat and chunky but i soon got used to it. screen makes the fone imo, its so big, bright and clear.

let's hope the networks get their act together and get these fones working asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Hay there,
    I work in a meteor store , so i reckon i sould be able to help ya. Meteor pay as you go phones have full gprs and wap 2.0 capability, your account just has to be set up. This is pretty easy to do, as Dubwireless explained this can be done by ringing 1905. If this doesnt work head in to the henry st branch and ask for Justin (not me), he has a 6600 and has everything running as sould be.
    Or if ya want send me a mail privately and ill fix it up for ya and tell you were i work. At meteor, thenetwork is the most technologically advanced in the country, so theres a good chance if the phone can do it,so can the network.

DubWireless: I've only been contacting them via email, but i will try ringing them tomorrow and see if they'll sort it out.
    There is absolutely no branding on the phone at all, none, not even an extra meteor menu.

Micro1: I'll try ringing them and see what happens tomorrow, if this doesnt work i'll give you an email!

The pc i'm on is crap, so i couldnt get the quote buttons to work!
    Anyway sound for all the help, I'll see what happens sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Gonna get me one of these but did not see it at the Blanch outlet nor moy local extra vision so where can i get one? Or do they have them in Blanch are are hiding them in case someone buys the little beasties?

by the way for the meteor store dude, whats the story with the Meteor mall? on the website. it never works!

sorry for not getting back earlier, meteor's technical team have been emailing me and they are telling me:

I wish to clear up this confusion in relation to your Nokia 6600 .

Meteors ISP service is at an early stage and at present we only support use
    of handsets as a modem when connecting to the world wide web via a
    laptop/pc.

The supported systems are :

Microsoft Windows 2000 professional Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

Also the correct version of windows is required i.e. Service Pack 4 .

If you have any of the above systems and service pack 4, we will give you
    the required configuration settings in order to use Meteors Network to
    browse the internet.

I look forward to your reply.

Now i thought it was just a matter of using the browser on my phone without any pc etc. Have i got it badly wrong?

Also meteor dont have "dummy" versions of the 6600 so they are behind the counter thats probably why you didnt see it!

ok you are on pre-pay right? have you clarified with them if you can use this ISP GPRS Service with a pre-pay account as the last time I checked it was for post-pay (contract/billed) customers only...

if they have opened it up for pre-pay just reply and say yes - and post back the settings they give you - hopefully we can extract out the relevant parts to enter into the 6600 to give it a try

you need to make sure they have enabled you for access to their ISP GPRS Access Point before trying to connect

but from some of the other posts try creating a 'new' Access Point from scratch on the handset and see how you get on:

Connection Name: Meteor ISP GPRS
    Access Point: isp.meteor.ie
    Username: (leave blank)
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: (leave blank)
    Authentication: Normal

OPTIONS -> ADVANCED SETTINGS

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Secondary name server: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy serv. Address: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy port number: leave default (blank)

and give that a try with the Opera Browser...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    ok you are on pre-pay right? have you clarified with them if you can use this ISP GPRS Service with a pre-pay account as the last time I checked it was for post-pay (contract/billed) customers only...

if they have opened it up for pre-pay just reply and say yes - and post back the settings they give you - hopefully we can extract out the relevant parts to enter into the 6600 to give it a try

you need to make sure they have enabled you for access to their ISP GPRS Access Point before trying to connect

but from some of the other posts try creating a 'new' Access Point from scratch on the handset and see how you get on:

Connection Name: Meteor ISP GPRS
    Access Point: isp.meteor.ie
    Username: (leave blank)
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: (leave blank)
    Authentication: Normal

OPTIONS -> ADVANCED SETTINGS

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Secondary name server: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy serv. Address: leave default (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy port number: leave default (blank)

and give that a try with the Opera Browser...

Sorry for not answering sooner, been studying for exams, still waiting on meteor internet access team to get back to me when they do i'll ask them to activate it regarless. I'll try and clarify it with them if it'll work for me on prepay.

Those settings you said to try made no difference obviousl tbecuase meteor havent activated my account.

Meteor finally got back to me:
    "Sorry for the delay in our response. Unfortunately we do not provide
    internet access for pre-paid phones at the moment.
    We do hope to bring in online in the very near future but I have no launch
    date as of yet. "

Advertisement