Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing my IBB connection

• 16-04-2004 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of buying parts for a new computer, and i have a question.

I was planning on sharing the internet connection between my two computers (the new one, and this one) via software, as i though a hub/switch would be expensive to buy. But then i saw this. An 8port switch, for only EUR20.

If i bought this, how would i go about sharing my internet connection? Or is this switch capable of doing that? Would i have to buy something else to allow sharing?

If i need something else, let me know what i'm looking for, and i'll go pricing again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I was planning on sharing the internet connection between my two computers (the new one, and this one) via software, as i though a hub/switch would be expensive to buy. But then i saw this. An 8port switch, for only EUR20.

If i bought this, how would i go about sharing my internet connection? Or is this switch capable of doing that? Would i have to buy something else to allow sharing?
    How is your existing PC connected to IBB at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

From what I know That would do the Job but I think you would be better off with a Router, I have IBB and I have a 4 port belkin router...With a Router you will have a firewall,DHCP, NAT and all that other stuff that I dont know about..

The Cable from IBB's Radio goes to the router and then I have a seperate cable that goes to my pc.

Everything is good and I use file and printer sharing with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

At the moment my setup is something as follows...

Antenne-->Ethernet cable down to ther IBB VL box---> Ethernet cable from box to my computer.

Where could a switch, or router, be inserted in that loop, so as to provide access to my two computers? I want to be able to use the internet regardless of whether they are both on, or one is off, i.e. no software sharing.

I'm looking for a cheap option, i don't particularly need NAT, hardware firewall, DHCP etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Antenne-->Ethernet cable down to ther IBB VL box---> Ethernet cable from box--> (switch-->ethernet cable--> to my computers).

if you stick the switch in there you should be set up.

Antenne-->Ethernet cable down to ther IBB VL box---> Ethernet cable from box to my computer.

Where could a switch, or router, be inserted in that loop, so as to provide access to my two computers? I want to be able to use the internet regardless of whether they are both on, or one is off, i.e. no software sharing.

I'm looking for a cheap option, i don't particularly need NAT, hardware firewall, DHCP etc etc.
    If you want to use both computers at the same time, then you probably do need NAT - unless IBB give you two IP addresses?

When you are connected, what IP address is your PC using? (Open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG). If you have a 192.168.something address, or a 10.something address then the VL box is already doing NAT for you, and a switch might be all you need. If your PC is using a 62.231.something address, then you won't be able to put two machines online at the same time without router providing NAT. (Unless IBB have been very lax in their setup).

• Advertisement

i have the 62.... address, i.e. my public address. Therefore i don't think the IBB box does NAT.

So, it looks like my options are either to get another IP off IBB (does this cost extra does anyone know?) and use a switch. Or get a router and use NAT to share the connection.

For gaming, would it be possibly for both people to play a game like Counter-Strike simutaenously (providing we both have different CD keys). Or would two IP's be needed for this?

Yea i think a router would be the best option, Also I would imagine that IBB wouldnt give u an extra ip address because that would mean another connection would it ??

Heres a link to the router I use with IBB

Belkin Router

But i suppose any router would do the job..

Grand, a router it is!

35eur for a D-Link DI-604. If anyone has any horror stories to tell me before i buy this... let me know.

ermöglicht Hochgeschwindigkeits-Breitbandverbindungen zu Hause oder im Büro....

What if your downloads turn dutch ?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Grand, a router it is!

35eur for a D-Link DI-604. If anyone has any horror stories to tell me before i buy this... let me know.

Mutant, im using IBB through that exact router to 3 pc's and i can heartly recommend it. Thats a very good price for it too. Let me know if you need any help seeing it up but its pretty straightforward.

• Advertisement

Grand, thanks for the advice.

I have a switch in my house at the moment (temporarily) and i decided to plug it in to see if the internet would work, and it works with just 1 computer! I'm currently interwebbing through the switch. (i'm borrowing a laptop soon to test two computers).

Then i read this from the FAQ:
    Will i be able to use this service with a home Network?

Yes, but you will need to purchase a router, as the radio device cannot be plugged into a hub or switch.

Ah well, it looks like my switch won't work with my internet... WAIT A MIN, it is!

EDIT: I'll still buy the router i'd say, it looks tasty.

Then i read this from the FAQ:

Ah well, it looks like my switch won't work with my internet... WAIT A MIN, it is!

EDIT: I'll still buy the router i'd say, it looks tasty.
    A switch just passes the traffic through from one side to the other. If you only have one PC turned on, then it might as well not be there - it's not really doing anything. If you have two computers turned on at the same time, then they won't both be able to access the internet at the same time if all you have is a switch. The answer in the FAQ is correct - you can't network you IBB connection unless you buy a router, a switch on it's own won't do.

Advertisement