Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Tax Return

Options
  • 16-04-2004 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Wasn't quite sure where to post this message so apologies if it’s in the wrong board.

I was wondering if anyone who has been on a J1 visa has filled in their own tax returns instead of using a company like taxback.com if so what forms did they fill out etc. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Yes I have,

Make sure you have your W-2 form from your employer.

Go to www.irs.gov and download form 1040NR-EZ

Fill it out and send it off with the part of your W-2 for federal taxes.

For state taxes, go to the states dept. of revenue website, and get teh form.

I worked in Chicago, so I went to the Illinois dept of revenue's site and downloaded form IL1040, I filled out the addition form there (i forget whichj) about not being resident in the state.

Send W-2 with state taxes off to the,.

Some cities (like new york) also have income tax, so again do the same for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

Ok thanks for the advice. When I was there (Maryland) I only paid Federal taxes.

So I think I only need the 1st form you were on about. Or due you think I still might have to fill for state taxes etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

going through ess or one of those companies is definitely the handiest all round.. it didnt cost too much either from what i can remember.. that was 2001...

filled out one form with them and let them do the rest of the work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

Ya, ESS has changed their name to taxback.com

I think they take about 15%, they are handy but if it's just the case of filling out a few forms and posting them to the US thats 15% that I'd prefer to have in my pocket.

In my case the 15% = a nice bit of money for a student!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

oh right... their price has gone up since my day... i think it was 10% then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 julian_clark

Hey

I was in the same boat last year. I got my J1 Tax return done by David Kempe at VisaTaxes.com

Now I am in H1B. He seems good, especially with the Visa Tax Laws.

They have a J1 Visa Tax specific board

http://www.forum.visataxes.com/

Thanks

Julian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nonin

I have worked in New Jersey in 2005 and applied for tax back via a site called http://wat.taxbacks.com/

I have received my tax refund in 5 months and I have been charged $40 for this service. I can recommend you this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Nonin, you mind me asking a rough figure how much you got back?

I worked there this summer for 6 months and I payed about a month in federal and state tax. I ran my figures through taxback.com not long after i got back and they said id only get 80 quid back! surely a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Taxback.com are sneaky if you ask me

They charge 10% but the minimum they charge is 91e.

Rip off if you ask me, especially with the weak dollar.

If i were to go through taxback.com I'd lose about half of the tax I was owed.

Though in saying that I'd need my W2 form first - my employer still hasn't sent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kishore_kumar

I am a physician from PA. I used www.VisaTaxes.com for my J1 Tax refund, and i was happy with the service, and i got my refund in time:)

They are very professional and to add their Forum is the best on visa related taxes.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

www.cintax.us

$39 buys you an individual licence to use the software, check a few boxes in the program and then it prints all your forms off and you just mail them in with your W2. It's specifically for 'foreign nationals'.

I get free access through the university I studied at in America in J1 and used it for both the 2006 and 2007 tax years with no hassle. It's v. easy to use and I guess compared with the other services mentioned it's also cheap as chips :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

hi have quick should i got my w-2 form from my employer before i left the usa
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aislingm11

Has anyone filed their State tax return for Illinois (Chicago) using the Form IL 1040 independently that would be able to write instructions for J1 students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beccalon

Did my J1 last summer and am trying to claim my tax back now. We have figured out which forms we need but can't find anything that tells us where to send the forms?

Can anyone help??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aislingm11

You send the the Form 1040NR-EZ to Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0215 U.S.A.

Advertisement