Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donal from Vodafone sending (unsolicited) MMS...

• 16-04-2004 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

got an (unsolicited) MMS from Donal today... Donal who? well the 'My Vodafone' Picture Messaging service explains that "Donal is the latest, hippest animated character exclusive to Vodafone live!. He sings, dances and waits for the train as we all do!" e.g.
    luasanim_mml.gif

unfortunately there wasn't an graphic where Donal says: 'feck off and stop sending me unsolicited MMS messages' so i couldn't reply appropriately ;)

but you can apparently "opt out of receiving Broadcast Picture Messages from Vodafone" by calling 1800200234

BrianG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Ah so I'm not the only one then.:) I got 2 in the space of about 2hrs this afternoon. Very annoying - must give them a call on that number to opt out (surely you should have to opt in to these things - they can't just assume consent.):mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

No doubt there's something in the contract that says they can assume consent to send you messages about the network and services just like they can send out unsolicited offers for insurance on phones etc etc by regular post.

Y'know I'd love if they sent out a "thank's for being a great customer and sticking with us even though we rip you off and get more money from Irish customers than any other in Europe and we pretend it's coz you talk more on the phone (ARPU dontcha know)... HA HA.... Anyway, we have you by the short and curlies but this week we'd like you to talk with 50% off all calls and texts you make..... Regards, <insert operator name here>"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its a bit annoying but its not exactly a big deal. If you have recieved them, its means that you have agreed to recieve promotional material from then when you signed up/registered. Whether you done this intentionally or not is totally different argument. Just give them a shout and tell them you don't want to recieve anymore promotional material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by PhoenixRising
    surely you should have to opt in to these things - they can't just assume consent. :mad:

yeah - some companies make you actively "opt in" which is always good to see - but Vodafone is "opt out" from the most recent 'contract' form i've seen

when i signed up there wasn't even a box to tick on the form (old eircell days!) so i mentioned i didn't want to be sent any marketing stuff - maybe due to using MMS a bit recently i must have been flagged on some database for MMS related stuff - at least there was a free phone number provided to call...

BrianG

Advertisement