Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does your site take to load?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

But how reliable is SiteConfidence???

My heaviest site [to date] is lilyobriens.ie - They wanted lots of graphics and they got 'em!!

SiteConfidence:
    This web page took 18.734 seconds to completely download
    (tested with a speed of 40 kilobits per second (kbps) which is the average speed with a 56kbps modem).

On my own trusy PC [after clearing the cache]:
    25secs.

[Of course I can use good old 127.0.0.1 and load it in <1 sec :D ]

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It has been used by www.internet-magazine.com for a while now (if thats anything)
    Anyway, it looks fairly accurate given that you are presumably using an €ircon line which is giving about 30Kbps (10kbps less than siteconfidence)

If it's good enough for Internet Magazine, then it's good enough for me.

I always reckoned that if a site loaded well on my rusty connection (30 kbps is a good day here), that others would load it like Sonia O'Sullivan on speed.

I have a feeling that a lot of sites out there are written by people on Broadband or T1 connections. They see a nice slick fast site and then wonder why people complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by richardo
    If it's good enough for Internet Magazine, then it's good enough for me.

I always reckoned that if a site loaded well on my rusty connection (30 kbps is a good day here), that others would load it like Sonia O'Sullivan on speed.

I have a feeling that a lot of sites out there are written by people on Broadband or T1 connections. They see a nice slick fast site and then wonder why people complain!

Thats why I use PSTN. Yeah.... of course..... that must be it :)

To go back to the original question
    How long does your site take to load?
    then perhaps the answer is to use Internet Magazine as a yardstick:

Test Results for www.internet-magazine.com

This web page took 10.348 seconds to completely download
    (tested with a speed of 40 kilobits per second (kbps) which is the average speed with a 56kbps modem).
    All elements of the pages downloaded without a problem.
    The size of the page with all its elements was 44846 bytes.

So, if your site loads in less than 10 secs, it's doing well.

Two of my sites fail!! The above-mentioned Lily O'Briens (at 18.6 secs) and Jack & Jill (at 14 secs). :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I find boards slow and can take a while to load a simple page even on BB. Using our siteconfidence.com benchmark on [url]www.boards.ie:-[/url]

Test Results for www.boards.ie
    This web page took 37.741 seconds to completely download
    The size of the page with all its elements was 186642 bytes.

The first page of this thread:-
    Test Results for www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154227
    This web page took 26.485 seconds to completely download
    The size of the page with all its elements was 125061 bytes.

And the fact that Boards.ie is slow to load doesn't make it any the less popular. Content is king.....

I've just corelated figures on my sites and have come up with a weird result.... There is an almost perfect inverse relationship between page impressions and download time - The slower the site is to load, the greater the traffic is to that site.

So maybe we should all be loading sites with massive graphics and heavy coding and throwing in the odd bit of tasteless multimedia?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Test Results for http://v2.kerrypages.com/index.php

This web page took 16.14 seconds to completely download
    The size of the page with all its elements was 79999 bytes.
    For detailed analysis including error information and advice on improving the download speed of this page, use the URL Breakdown tool in our Customers only area.

I'm quite happy with that :)

Advertisement