Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 anyone?

Options
  • 16-04-2004 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading to the states for the summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yes, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

where ya heading?

Florida for me.

You?

New York. Early June (thinking about bringing the date back because I found out my exams finish earlier). Why Florida?

Because of the girlfriend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

San diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Assholes :p

I'll be stuck in Dublin. Guess its not all doom and gloom....

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Hey xx, where are you going in NY?

I went out to Long Island two years ago and stayed in Southampton.

Originally posted by briano
    Hey xx, where are you going in NY?

I went out to Long Island two years ago and stayed in Southampton.

Wherever will have us really, we go househunting the first day we get over there. Recommend anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

xx, do you still need a job placement to go over there?? If so, did you get it through usit?? I remember in the usit centre it says that you don't need a job, but the website says you do.

I was thinking of going over to New York myself next summer. I have a cousin over there that I can hang around with so it should be good. I wanted to go over there for years, and the J1 has made it ideal.

There's ment to be a huge lot of money going on in bar work, because of the tips, but I heard if you're actually tending the bar, my cousins says you can get about $20 an hour, but you need to have a bar managment cert.

• Advertisement

xx: I wasn't actually in NY city, so I don't know that much about it. I had mates living in Astoria in Queens which seemed nice enough. Long Island is alright, if you can get your hands on a car it'd be a lot better. The public transport doesn't exist once you get outside of the five buroghs. Montauk (at the very far end of Long Island, about 3 hours on the L.i.r.r. train) is just like Ireland in the sun. Full of Irish students having parties.

neXus: Don't count on getting a bar tending job. The money is great when you are getting it, but places won't hire you behind the bar. And getting paid $20 an hour isn't realistic. I was getting $25 a shift + tips, which could be brilliant, but could also be roughly $0.

I didn't need to get any sort of cert to work behind the bar over there, but I had been working in bars for 7 years at that stage which may have counted for something. And I only got the job out of luck (started as a waiter & barback, and when one of the bartenders called in sick just jumped in.)

Most of my mates made pretty good money labouring for gardeners and builders and what not. It seemed to be a much easier type of job to get.

Has anyone successfully received an internship job placement for the us??

Originally posted by neXus9

From what I understand the internship programme just isn't the best. You will be competing against American graduates/students for places for jobs, and with internships the money is generally non-existant.

Also, with the internships that don't pay much money you have to be able to prove that you'll have the necessary income each month to pay your bills/rent etc(something like $700 a month)

And.. you aren't allowed to work another job while you are there to make up the money difference.

So basically, imo the internship programme sucks ass. Unless, of course, you know someone over the who'll sponser you

Briano, I was wondering what kind of accommodation did you have? I'm going on my own, and it looks like new york. It would be nice to stay in my cousin's apartment, but he lives with the parents and there's no room since the sis has returned from living in Glasgow.

I was thinking of a private room in a hostel. It would be nice to rent it out per month, but I guess other people would have booked it for dates aswell, unless I just book well in advance on the net.

Iv'e been onto sublet.com and they have apartments for summer rent, but we're talking about alot of cash!

Myself and my friends got two rooms in a house. Two guys and a girl in one and two guys in the other. It cost us €1,500 each for the three/four months, which seemed to be about average, although we weren't in new york city.

Friends of mine sublet a whole apartment for about the same amount of money in queens. I think they found it on adds or a web page. I'll try to find out for you today.

Thanks.

I'm probably going to go on my own and hang around with my cousin, but I heard anyway that the hostel enviroment is pretty fun, and you find friends pretty quick.

I know being in a shared dorm is cheaper, but I wouldn't feel very secure. You don't need any job before going over there, so maybe I'll get some people to come over with me.

Is there much Irish in Queen's?? My cousin said it was a good place to go for me to fit in.

I heard San Diego is full of us. It's just that it'll be a quick way to fit in and help deal with the cultural differences (I havn't been to the us before).

How much do you need anyway for 4 months in the USA for a person on their own (including rent)???????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by neXus9
    Yup. Been working here in Boston for almost a month now
    You will be competing against American graduates/students for places for jobs, and with internships the money is generally non-existant.
    The company I'm working for have always looked at Irish students for their intern jobs. They claim that they are of much higher standard than US students. And the money I'm on is pretty good, $22 an hour.

Nexus, The lads found their apartment on loot.com

Good Luck

well, I'm actually planning to go next summer, so I can save up a bit of cash.

Thanks for the info, Briano.

Mr. Pink what are doing for your internship? How did you get the job??

Boston would be a nice place to go to.

Advertisement