Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dog snoring

• 16-04-2004 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

i have a 9 month old golden labrador and she snores really loud. is this normal or does it mean that she might have hidden health issues. the vet said that it was normal but he didnt hear how loud she is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

the good news is it is probably nothing serious, which is more likely what he meant :)

its probably to do with a little piece of tissue at the back of her throath, its a well known genetic trait of the breed.

It can be fixed in serious cases, by a 30min very simple surgery. All they do is shorten the offending dangly bit lol ;)

Things to ask yourself are, Is it affecting her sleep? (is she waking herself up?), is it affecting people in the house? (if it is, that just breeds resentment for the dog, which is never a good thing), and is it making her less comfortable? Also check her very carefully when shes awake, is it affecting her normal breathing?

If you can answer yes to any of the above, then my advice? Bring her to another vet, explain to him that its damned loud and causing problems for her and in the house, and ask him about E.N.T. exploratory surgery for her.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

thanks for the info but i dont think that it is serious enough to put her through an operation. it doesnt seem to bother her at all as she loves sleeping, and i dont think that she could do anything to make us resent her. but sometimes when she is sniffing things her nose seems blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

i have a german shephard and he snores like a man. i have never heard anything like him. i have taken him to the vet also but he says that it is normal and if i was really worried about him to tape him in the full throngs of snoring. maybe you should do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Our St Bernard snores also. She is 9 months old also. She doesn't always snore and it doesn't seem to bother her. Our previous St Bernard would snore aswell. Maybe its something to do with large breed dogs. None of our smaller dogs would snore :dunno:

Advertisement