Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy for a World in decline.

Options
  • 16-04-2004 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Click to Counterpunch.com.

Probably the most mentally and emotionally influential thing that I myself have read in a while. Stan Goff, an angry soldier with impressive clarity of mind. He sees the link that must be made between the thinker and the fighter. The fighters courage often hijacked. The thinkers ideas, abstract and often impractical to real and present danger in the world.

If we really want to change the way things are heading at the moment do many of us need to re-examine our ethical principals? Turn the other cheek or fight. Its very easy to just not care here in Ireland. It feels as though we are just spectators on the sideline watching this global thing unfold. A nation apart with with a great view of and freedom to comment on the fight.

I wonder about our counterparts in Fallujah. Not privy to this seat in the stand. 24 yrs old and has see some awful detruction of people by AH64 Apaches and Cobras. Hated big bastards just out of reach conducting a mass punishment beating on a city because a dozen or so people killed some American contractors and brutalised their bodies. Several hundred dead in Fallujah in recent days. Plenty of sites to look at if you wish to see some of the small children shot up, limbs missing etc. Can anyone in all good conscience not hope thay he fights for his people, his humanity and wins against the hideous monster that is the imperial US military machine. Grinding up people to sickening pieces.

Fighter and thinker each dispising one another but needing each other to fight the only true enemy. The never thinking never fighting always controling ever exploiting. How lucky are we to live in this country?

Recommend further reading off Goffs articles and others at counterpunch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh spare us!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

nice constructive well thought out arguement full of salient responses there Mike, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Mike, those comments are not useful. Interesting post Dotsie.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm just showing my age. Disilliusioned soldiers writing that "War is Hell and are'nt we all evil fools of fortune?" is not new and nothing in the piece offers any fresh insight into the human or political condition. I can see that if you're young enough it might mean something and offer new and interesting views but to an old hand like myself its "Nothing to see here move along now...."

He writes quite well in a "sock it to 'em" way. But I really hate this sort of cack -
    A child in Botswana dies of AIDS so I can work on this computer.

Mike.

Advertisement