Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL Line Jumpered - How long?

• 17-04-2004 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All, very informative forum you have here! I just helped get my in-laws in Dublin setup with a laptop that has wireless capabilities. We also placed an order last week for Eircom DSL (seemed like the fastest install).

I am about to head to Peats to pick up a Netgear (recommended here) wireless ADSL modem. What I am wondering is the representative on the phone said it would be 10-15 days for the install. We asked for a rush to be put on the order and she said as soon as a flip was switched at the exchange we could start using the service. However, I noticed that Eircom uses PPPoE which, if memory serves, requires authentication of some sort? So, my question to anyone here is do you know specifics about this? Do you think I could call Eircom and get them to give this to me before the packet arives? Reason being is I'd like to get this completely configured so even if the exchange flip hasn't been switched as soon as it does it will start working. We're heading back to the states this week and I dread leaving with a half setup system trying to explain over the phone how to get everything running.

Thoughts? Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by JpMaxMan
    However, I noticed that Eircom uses PPPoE which, if memory serves, requires authentication of some sort? So, my question to anyone here is do you know specifics about this? Do you think I could call Eircom and get them to give this to me before the packet arives?

I received the packet fairly promptly - about 4 working days if I remember - and I immediately plugged it in and saw the steady green DLS indicator. I phoned Eircom straight away, and persuaded somebody to issue me with a usename: password combination, using one of their premium rate lines if I remember.

Anyway, I'm still using that particular name and password.

As regards the Netgear - just let the connection wizard hook you up - worked for me in about 45 seconds...

hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JpMaxMan

Well, I don't get a solid green light anyway, so I suppose they haven't 'flipped the switch'... however, I did find this on their site:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

Click on Password Support.

Which is a bit odd considering I thought they monitored usage based on a distinct login. I'll just keep checking each day. Anyone have any very recent DSL orders from Eircom where they can tell me how long it took to get the flip switched?

-Jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JpMaxMan

Also, Peats was out of all wireless adsl products so I ended up getting an ETEC Wireless ADSL router from Maplins. Any experience with these? I figure I can always take it back if it doesn't work out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IT direct in Parliament St have a lot of netgear stuff in stock - you could always give them a call and see if they have what you want if the Maplin one does not work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by JpMaxMan
    Which is a bit odd considering I thought they monitored usage based on a distinct login. I'll just keep checking each day. Anyone have any very recent DSL orders from Eircom where they can tell me how long it took to get the flip switched?

They actually monitor the useage on your port on the dslam so no matter what user name / pass you use any traffic still goes down against your account.
    And there is no switch to flick in the exchange the engineer has to run a pair of wires from where your line terminates in the exchange to the dslam after which the port is enabled by eircom.net remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Redshift
    They actually monitor the useage on your port on the dslam so no matter what user name / pass you use any traffic still goes down against your account.

This can't be correct because I have been getting outlandishly high usage stats, suggesting that I had been logged on for more hours than there were in Februaray or March, and up & download stats that would have been impossible. I got in touch with them about it and it seems that my username / password was _also_ given by them to someone else in error, and that out accounts were merged. This diesn't give me much confidence in them if / when they start charging for overages.

hc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by hughchal
    This can't be correct because I have been getting outlandishly high usage stats, suggesting that I had been logged on for more hours than there were in Februaray or March, and up & download stats that would have been impossible. I got in touch with them about it and it seems that my username / password was _also_ given by them to someone else in error, and that out accounts were merged. This diesn't give me much confidence in them if / when they start charging for overages.

hc

What about the poor sods with IOL BB who still have remote access enabled with default username and password... giving anyone the ability to log on and take their username and password to get extra d/l capabilities...

X

Advertisement