Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softmenu bug or not?

Options
  • 17-04-2004 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I have this recently installed:

AMD Athlon XP2400+ 2.0 GHz Socket A 266MHz, Thorton, OEM
    Crucial PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 6ns Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64
    Spire CPU-Fan WhisperRock IV Socket A SPA04B4 For AMD up to XP 3200 Mhz
    Abit KV7 mainboard for Socket A VIAKT600,ATX

When i run the CPU at 2400(266) the DDR Speed shows at 333 for some reason only way it doesnt is when i run it at 2000(266), there are 4 options

2000(266)
    2200(266)
    2400(266)
    2600(333)

I assume the ratios are incorrect in the default setting (when i run at 333 my system temp goes to bad bad places) It should run at 2400 (266) but when 333 is the mem speed ,Sandra says bad things about the memeory being overstressed.

Anyone have this error (is it an error) before as i would like it to run at 266 and 2ghz rather than the 1.5 i getting now.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok you probably have the memory set to auto or by SPD which means the memory is set to whatever its rated speed is..... in this case 333mhz .

The thing is if your FSB is at 266mhz then your memory is really only running at the same speed. Do a bandwidth benchmark and you will see what i mean.
    It should run at 2400 (266) but when 333 is the mem speed ,Sandra says bad things about the memeory being overstressed.

I never listen to Sandra , run prime95 and it will let you know how your cooling, CPU, PSU and RAM are handling the system...... no errors and your fine.

You really should try to get your FSB up or you will see no memory performance increases whatso ever.

Very strange to see you get those options for the CPU also. Does this actually have an affect on CPU speed (ie run sisandra or winpuid to see if its really working)..... only reason i say is generally newer thortons are all locked (with few exceptions) and thus you cant change the multiplier just the FSB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It running at 1.5ghz now according to everything in windows, but in Softmenu when i click on 2400(266) it runs at 333 dunno why.

Atm i want the Cpu running full speed with ram at 266 it will be enough for me now.
    To run any higher i need another system fan.

thanks for reply.

kdjac

The reason its running at 1.5ghz is that the FSB is set to 100mhz (your stock multiplier is 15 thus the deduction :)). Dont know why this is happening but one sure way to sort it out is to set it manually.

Pop the FSB to 133mhz (at 166mhz your CPU would be running @2.49ghz which is crazy), multiplier should be 15. Run your Ram on Auto / BY SPD / 1:1 with FSB should all be the same performance wise (mabye better running 1:1 but only by a tiny margin).

Hope this sorts you out!!

Thanks for replies this bugging ne now somfin wrong with it :)

4 Settings in Softmenu are:

2000(266)
    FSB 133
    Ratio 4:2:1
    Mult x12.5

2200(266)
    FSB 133
    Mult x13.5

2400(266) which i have
    FSB 133
    Mult x15

2600(333)
    FSB 166
    Ratio 5:2:1
    Mult x12.5

When i select my one(2400) Ram goes to 333 and system overheats(up to 68 temp), when i select lower ones its runs at the 1.5ghz(2000) and 1.8ghz(2200) respectivley and ram runs at 266. System doesnt overheat stays at about 50 temp.

Sometimes when i select the lower ones it says CPU unworkable (implying its locked) and wont boot till i select 2400 but if i select 2400 hit enter and then select 2200 it runs fine at 1.8ghz.

Something is wrong with this program or staring at problem and just cant see it.
    My ratios are bang on for normal operating 2400 but still system overheats.
    If ia dd fans i aint fixing the problem just cooling it more therefore may stress my RAM.

Any ideas whats up?

kdjac

System temp of 68 sounds crazy, whats the CPU at? Chances are this is a mistake.

Did you try setting up manually?

Im not sure what is going on with your setup TBH , Is your CPU fan fitted correctly (ie grove's line'n up ok?)?

If 68 degrees is your CPU temp then id be looking at my heatsink. Do the usual checks to make sure its fitted ok, make sure you didnt put too much thermal compound on, power off and unplug the system straight away when its 68 and see if the heatsink is hot to touch (be carefull).....

• Advertisement

CPU is in fine here is temps (pc on about 8 minutes now and had to remove cover)

Me want to cry ,it makes no sense i running the 2400(266) speed and DDR at 333 and this happens.

Top one is System and CPU is bottom

Kdjac

Well according to that the system temp is above the CPU temp which cant happen so its probably an error. Try a cold re-boot and check the bios to see what the starting temp for the system is.........

Did you check the fitting of the CPU cooler? Try with the side off the case and see if temps go down much.

I have to have the case off to keep it at 60, i gave in bought a shiny new system fan today wont fix the problem but will cool it.

The Cpu fan is in fine, getting a new snazzy case the weekend with exhausts and other heilcopter effects :(

thanks for help anyways.

kdjac

Advertisement