Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

• 17-04-2004 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Watched this last night with very low expectations... and wow. It really surprised me , It is genuinely scary - alot scarier than the original if you ask me although for its time the original may have had more shock value.

Jessica Biel plays the main character and shes actually very ****ing good at looking terrified. The mood fo the film is excellent , very dark, un-nerving and un-settling. It doesnt follow the original too closely ( in a similar way to the dawn of the dead remake ) For example the guy that gets into the car at the start of the first film is changed for -
    a Young girl in shock who commits suicide
    Theres alot more of leatherface
    bit when you see him wearing Jessicas now dead boyfriends face - *shiver* great stuff
    Its much gorier also but not *TOO* gory in that its full of suspense and aint over the top. The sheriff is a great character which I dont think was i the original...anyone ?

The only thing I wasnt happy with was that theres no dinner table scene, that was one of my favourite scenes from the original.

thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

When I saw it the first time in the cinema on Halloween night, I really enjoyed it. Same stuff you mentioned, I was surprised that it wasn't totally useless. I'm not a fan of the original really, but I found the new one had a couple of good scares, good chase scenes & effective killings.When I watched it again on DVD I wasn't quite so impressed though, it doesn't stand up to repeat viewing so much. Still decent-ish entertainment.

Prefer it to the original anyway-- the guy in the wheelchair drives me up the wall, and I hate the extended chase scene/dinner table bit with all the screaming & annoying zoom-in camera on the girl's eyes. I find it just plain annoying rather than effective. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, I saw the remake before the original and much prefered the original. The remake seemed to take the cool bits of the original and use them as vehicles for a loud noises/strange flash on screen type horror.

My main disappointment was the characters in the remake - they smack too much of post-Scream trendy twenty-somethings that you only ever see in movies. The characters in the original were better, in that i didn't immediately want them all to die painful deaths, unlike the remake.

The other thing about the remake was the way it tried to keep some of the surreality of the whole scenario, whilst including the family scenes by way of a half-arsed explanation. I much prefered the lack of explanation in the first one, it added to the atmosphere for me.

Advertisement