Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reboot from disk

Options
  • 17-04-2004 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hello there, i would be much oblidged with any help on the following;

problem: switch on the computer and the following message comes up:
    "windows config is invalid, run setup program again to correct this problem"

system info:
    windows 98 4.10
    pentium II

i can start windows insafe mode but when itry to run the setup file from there it says it is invalid, i have windows 98 disk but safe mode does not support cdrom. Is itpossible to reboot from the windows disk? any help would be apperciated.
    P:s i'm blond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Have you tried just restarting with the cd in the drive?
    The bios mightn't be set up to check for the cd first.
    If so, you'll have to change that.
    It’s usually 'F2' or 'DEL' to get into the bios or it will say when the pc is just starting. Go in there and look for the boot set-up.

OR

in safe mode go into the control panel and then ad/remove programs. There is a tab there to make a start-up floppy.
    Restart with that in the drive and you will get cdrom support to allow you to use the win98 cd

is it an old machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sausages

cheers RobertF the link describes the same problem as i had, unfortunitily none of the solutions given seem to any effect.

there is also another problem with regards the other reply from jabberwock, my fopply drive is not working correctly(not at all) so i can not create a boot up disk, this is a hard ware problem and it is a perticular kettle of fish which i do not want to get into at the moment you also said;

edit
    ["The bios mightn't be set up to check for the cd first.
    If so, you'll have to change that. "]

i'm unsure how to do this, i've got into bios>startup options> diskless operation
    but neither enabled or disabled has any effect, ie the system boots up from hard drive and not the disk. Any more light yous could shed on the subject would be darling, and thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

what do you mean by diskless operation.
    what options do you have at bios>startup options>

J

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Boot to a dos prompt ( hold down the F8 key while booting and select boot to dos prompt).

The Type" scanreg /restore" and restore and select a registry backup which should restore the registry to the last known good configuration. Its worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sausages

edit
    [what options do you have at bios>startup options>]

startup options:

keyboard numlock state
    diskless operation
    keyboardless operation mode
    power on self test
    power on logos
    power on F1/Esc options
    power on status