Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When the security alarm goes off....

Options
  • 17-04-2004 6:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure which forum to ask this in so if its the wrong one I apologise.

I have often wondered what right has a security guard to ask you to return to a cash point and have goods rescanned (having paid for them obviously) when a staff member has not removed the security tags. It happens quite frequently.

As far as I am concerned when it happens the customer has done their bit and the company hasnt and they have no right to ask you to return. They are embarasing you and wasting your time.

Anyone have any definite information on this or any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The security guard can make reasonable enquiries. If it is patently obvious that you have paid, he can't stop you (or if he does, you could sue for false arrest). If it is not obvious you have paid and he suspects you are stealing goods he could make a citizens arrest (but may not search you and must call the Garda immediately).

Do not make a scene, as this does not help your case, in the shop or in court.

Advertisement