Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2?

Options
  • 17-04-2004 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Well ... no official word from EA or Dice, or even a nudge from the boys at Trauma... but the " Computer Gaming World" magazine have announced that they will have a debut of the game in the coming months issue.
    Battlefield 2 Revealed
    4/16/2004

The next PC game in Electronic Arts' Battlefield series is slated to debut in the pages of Computer Gaming World soon.

The issue about to reach subscribers -- which already features a world exclusive on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 -- promises another world exclusive in the coming issue. Issue 240, July 2004 (which should arrive just in time for E3) will lead with an in-depth preview of Battlefield 2.

That's a tentative title, of course. The game isn't a direct follow-up to Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield: Vietnam. Instead, it jumps forward to the world of modern warfare. The sequel will feature the latest in modern small arms, heavy weapons, and fighting vehicles -- M-4 carbines with IR scopes; M-60 machineguns with steadying bipods; M-1 tanks with reactive countermeasures; and of course, much more.

Look forward to the full story in Computer Gaming World next month, and we'll try and bring all the news we can shortly afterward.

[align=center]0,1311,i=73734,00.jpg[/align]

From ComputerGaming.com

Seems a bit odd to call it Battlefield 2 though, im expecting a better name by the time it hits the shelves. This seems to be what the boys at Trauma are working on with Dice/EA. Hopefully some sort of official announcement will be make soon enough, with some nice screenshots if we are good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

**** sake its only been a few weeks since vietnam came out and they want us to shell out on Desert combat v1 already!!

Thats takeing the piss tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, given that KOTOR wasn't published by EA. [ah, i misunderstood the post]

M-60s + M1s with ERA = 1980s without a doubt.

So it's going to be a hypothetical conflict probably. Otherwise, it'll be Panama, Grenada or Nicaragua. At a push, they might try Gulf War I.

I'd like to see the latest generation of russian stuff (omsk-98, su-47, tu-160, su-27, mi-28, ka-52) go up against current yankistanian hardware (m1-a2, f/a-22, b-1b, commanche (sigh), apache).

that'd be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by ssh
    I'd like to see the latest generation of russian stuff (omsk-98, su-47, tu-160, su-27, mi-28, ka-52)
    It'd be damn sweet if they included Russians newsest X-Plane, which out perfroms anything the yanks have during a dogfight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

X-plane you say?

Is that the forward swept-wing berkut? That's sweet. That's the su-47 of which i spoke.

Basically, best news for us battlefielders is:

"1999, cold war never ended, polish + czech rebellion, russia invades to quell, yankistan invades to aid rebellion, russians win, ww3 over germany."

Obwohl dass fuer mi(r|ch) ganz schlimm waere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Mmm... F-22, JSF. Nice

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ssh
    X-plane you say?

Is that the forward swept-wing berkut? That's sweet. That's the su-47 of which i spoke.
    Yup. Forgot the name. Only knew what it looked like. Found a pic.
    s37_03.jpg

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD: MODERN COMBAT FOR THE PLAYSTATION® 2

I think Battlefield 2 may just be be Battlefiled; Modern Combat, for the Playstation 2. :(

It'll come out on the PC in about 6 months, or so, after they finish doing up the grahics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

-Digital Illusions is developing a sequal to its game Battlefield 1942. The game, Battlefield 2, is planned to be released during spring 2005 and is based on new technology. The publisher is Electronic Arts.

-During spring 2003 three new deals were made with Electronic Arts. Battlefield 2, was one of theese deals. The planned release was to be Fall 2004. But due to the success of the Battlefield series, the anticipation is high, which means that the publisher Electronic Arts puts a high budget on the project. That gives Digital Illusions another half year to develop the game. Battlefield 2 is now planned to be released Spring 2005.

- Battlefield 2 is built on a new technical platform that takes us into the new generation of PC games. This will give the gamers a better gaming experience, Patrick Söderlund says.

- Instead of converting the product, we have decided to develop two seperate products for the Playstation2 and PC. Because of the fact that they are aiming towards two different markets it's easier for them to maximize sales, Patrick Söderlund says.

-Battlefield 2 is developed by Digital Illusions Stockholm and the time the battles take place are modern. The player can choose between many modern weapons and choose to be part of three diffrent super nations; China, USA or a new Middle east coalition.

-The 15. of april 2004 it was announced that Digital Illusions is developing a Battlefield game for the Playstation2, Battlefield Modern Combat. This product is also played in modern time. But Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Modern Combat are directed against two diffrent markets. That's why it's two diffrent products that are developed by two diffrent teams within Digital Illusions.

-Battlefield 2 is for the PC and will be sold as a full price game. Electronic Arts is the publisher and will be distrubuting the game. The release is planned for Spring 2005.

three diffrent super nations; China, USA or a new Middle east coalition.

They REALLY should stick the EU in their we are a super nation (500 million people pr something) and its far more real than some middle east coalition plus that might be hitting to close to real life at the mo

Originally posted by bizmark
    They REALLY should stick the EU in their we are a super nation (500 million people pr something)

The worlds first democratic empire, apprently.

• Advertisement

The player can choose between many modern weapons and choose to be part of three diffrent super nations; China, USA or a new Middle east coalition.
    Command and Conquer; Generals, anyone? China, USA, and a terrorist orgahisation. Ye gotta love those gals & guys @ EA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yeh boo on the omission of the EU.

Dont we have enough guns or something?

I thought europe had the best urban-warfare armies in the world.

I want to fight under the eu flag that'd be great.

I don't see why they've felt the need to include some makey-upy middle-east coalition. Although perhaps someone more knowledgable might be able to tell me if the middle east has a high-proportion of the worlds weapons. Aren't the israli air-force the one with the most dog fights in the world or some such fact?

I've high-hopes for it, especially if the trauma guys are working on it.

Bit of a stinker announcing it so soon after vietnam. Kinda undermines any mods that may be built for it.

Originally posted by dangerman

I want to fight under the eu flag that'd be great.

I don't see why they've felt the need to include some makey-upy middle-east coalition. Although perhaps someone more knowledgable might be able to tell me if the middle east has a high-proportion of the worlds weapons. Aren't the israli air-force the one with the most dog fights in the world or some such fact?

Israel has the best air force in the world in terms of kill death ratio i think......But they would never join a middle east coalition.No douth they stuck the middle east countries in the game for a bad guy....China not sure what their going to do with them could easily end up being a good or bad guy the EU doesn’t have army so i guess that’s why where not in the game....pity we could be lead by a German commander win every thing in the early stages but lose it towards the end :ninja: :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Bleh, its just building on the same refractor 2 engine, adding some new stuff and re-enabling the deformable terrain... Typical mind stifling, lack of orginality nonsence. DICE arn't really their own design studio anymore anyways, considering how EA put themselves in charge of everything.

Yeah, I've a feeling this is gonna be one big cash-in. It will certainly put a dampner on any BFV mods, and even more so on BF42.

Advertisement