Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System policies

Options
  • 17-04-2004 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Howdy

I'm doing some work for my old school. While I was in the school I had setup an NT4 Server and a collection of Windows 95 clients. Everybody had their own username,password and homedir. I also used the poledit utility to setup policies on the client machines to prevent people dicking around with the desktop and screensavers. Recently they decided to upgrade and got a Windows 2003 server and they also want to update the clients to Windows 2000. I've gotten the server setup and configured correctly aand all the accounts transfered from the old server. The only thing I'm missing is the policies for Windows 2000. I haven't started to change the OS on the clients for the moment but I'd like to start soon.

So my questions are:

Is there a similiar utility to poledit for Windows 2000. If so what is it.

Can I setup the policies in a similar manner to the situaton with NT4 and Win95 clients i.e. put a .pol file in the Netlogon share and have the clients get it automatically.

I have done some research myself and the closest thing I can find is the Group Policy thing in Windows 2003. I only just started looking at this today, but I'd love to know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Cheers
    Rory

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Windows 2000 uses active directory for Windows 2000 clients. Policies are done using group policy objects so you can apply them to different organisational units (ie teachers have access to private areas etc.)

My advice would be look in google or better still get a good book on Windows 2000 server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Red Alert is correct. Everything is done via Active Directory.

There are some good documents on http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/

Colm.

Advertisement