Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitions Gone Missing

Options
  • 17-04-2004 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I had to re-install Win Xp on my Main partition but since i've done that i've no access to my other 2 partitions. On start up it just boots into the the newly installed partition. Before at start up i had the option to boot into whatever one i wanted. Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

what was on the other two partitions?

Windows XP has most lightly overwritten the bootsector of your hard disk with its own bootsector meaning what ever was on is still there but cant be accessed by the boot loader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Have you tried looking in your Disk Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

if you can still access the other partitions from within xp, then you should only have to edit the boot.ini file to access the other OS's

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

your boot.ini should look something like this assuming you have other windows oOS' on the other partitions
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition2)\WINDOWS="whatever OS" /fastdetect  [SIZE=1][i]{this is on the master in second partition}[/i][/SIZE] 
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition3)\WINDOWS="whatever OS" /fastdetect  [SIZE=1][i]{this is on the master in third partition}[/i][/SIZE] 

hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Thank guys will try that and see how i get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement