Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Driver Just reversed into me

Options
  • 17-04-2004 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Well the Subject says it all really.

Poor girl only a week on the road and just got her licence a week ago, reversed into me...

So the lights didnt smash and still work, but the front of the car kinda sunk in..The bonnet of course arched up about 2 inches and I can't open the thing...

I rang her 20 minutes later to see if she was alright and also to get her address.

I was talking to her father who offered to do a cash deal in order to keep his daughters No claims Bonus...

I accepted, but now I have been told by another source that I should register the details of the accident with my insurance company so they have a record..

My thing is if I do tell my insurance company, will they go ahead and ask me for the girls details....? I am happy to take cash for the damage, which will be costly for them no doubt, but is it ok to say, yep this happened?

Thanks for any opinions/feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you tell them they will want all the details. I wouldn't say anything to them. If the fault is clearly on her side and you're happy to make a deal then it's none of their concern.

But I'd get the repairs done or at least quoted for before you make a deal. You don't want to get stung by finding out the repair cost is twice what you got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

If your not gonna inform the insurance co. inform the Gards of what happened and take the name/Badge no of the Gard you reported it to. If it all goes pearshaped at least you'll have some record of what happened by an independant intermediary of some sort.

Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ! DON'T tell the Gardai. Keep the law out of it unless you need them, and you don't.

Keep it nice and civil and you'll be fine. I'm sure the girls' mortified and shocked and her parents are too. They'll be very helpful, so don't do the dirty...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

That last post is the dumbest advice ever. Definetly tell the gardai, just so they have a record. It's not going to make any difference to the woman who reversed into you or yourself by them having a record of what happened. You never know what the girl or her parents might do, if they find out the bill is preety high they might refuse to pay it or say it was half your fault. At least if you have a Garda report your ass is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

so much distrust among people, the world truly has become a sad sad place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

I had a guy run in to me this time last year, he wanted to pay for the damage and not call the cops. €4000 worth of damage, the guy had no Insurance, no tax and a un roadworthy car. Should I have listened to him? I'm not going to trust a stranger when it comes to something like this. WHats wrong with having an official record of it happening?

Sad place indeed, in fairness the guy doesn't know that girl for sh1t, they always seem nice when they're at fault. I'm simply offering the guy a contingency plan in case it all goes wrong for him. The Gards will simply file a report, they won't inform the insurance co w/o your consent.

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeap, I agree with leonotron. Its not much good knowing the girl was upset and sorry, only then for her to turn around and say it was your fault, you hit her from behind!

I deffo would get the gards involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Definitely report it, just in case. At the end of the day, you were wronged, not her.

Have a read through this:
    http://www.cbg.ie/ins_car.asp#Claim

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Thanks for the advice...

• Advertisement

My point about getting the law involved is that you dont acually need to now 'cos thats something you can do at anytime and the other party will know that (indeed they are proberly crapping themselves at the thought).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was taken off my bike once and dissappered through your mans windscreen, he got off the car after pulling it out of the way, and as I seemed ok he gave me his name and work details and we parted ways. I just memorised his reg plate just in case.

The work place had no record of the man and the reg proved to be the only way of getting hold of him. It was a garage car not even owned by him so it had no imapct on his insurance but he still needed to lie!

Point is, if you have doubts you're better safe than sorry, because even with no motivation people will be dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Let the girls parents pay for it.
    Get a quote, tell them the price. Then put it in for repair, with themselves to pick up the tab.

My nextdoor neighbour reversed into my parked car last week. I'm doing just that.
    Use your own judgement. If there are six burnt out cars and a parade of caravans where she lives, I might doubt their sincerity. But by the sounds of it this will all work out fine. Dont ring your insurance company, and dont ring the gardai. Trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think it's a good idea for car drivers to keep a notebook, pen and camera (eg a cheap digi cam) in the car at all times. If you're involved in a crash they'll allow you to take notes/make sketches/take pics. These will help you to give a good account of the accident in the event of a dispute. Also, if the other party sees you taking notes and pics it's likely that he'll think something along the lines of "this guy is no mug" and could be deterred from attempting to make a fraudlent claim or from trying to rip you off.

From what I've heard the gardai are often reluctant to attend minor accidents where there are no injuries involved so it ends up that the parties themselves have to sort it out among themselves. So there is definitely potential for getting ripped off as there are an awful lot of dishonest c*nts out there.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by mike65
    Christ! DON'T tell the Gardai. Keep the law out of it unless you need them, and you don't.

Keep it nice and civil and you'll be fine. I'm sure the girls' mortified and shocked and her parents are too. They'll be very helpful, so don't do the dirty...

Mike.

Nonsence. Tell the Gardai. Tell them that you are reporting the accident to cover your own back and that the other party has accepted all responsibility and are paying for the repair of the car. They will not force you to pursue it any further...

I was once in an accident whereby the Guard actually advised the other party and I to keep it between ourselves and not contact insurance companies. Its the safest way to do things.

Jokah you better keep us abreast of developments given the deversity of opinion!

My own views are proberly the result of an icident a few years back when a newbie reversed into my van in a car park. He was contrite, I was calm. His parents were reasonable ppl and all turned out fine.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was involved in a scrape last summer when someone crossed a signal controlled single lane bridge. As soon as I reached the crest of the hill, I saw a car coming towards me. Anyway I had a witness to say that I had in fact got the green light - the other fella had none (and often cars break the lights when they go red - up to seven seconds).
    The guy in the car that scraped me told me that he had a green but to get a price on the repairs anyway. The gardai said they would try and come in about an hour - no use! I contacted my insurance company and registered the incident but told them not to do anything except send out the forms to me.

Over the next few weeks the guy in the other car kept insisting that he had a green light and he was in talks with his solicitors about taking a case against the council over the lights ("Killian, they even confirmed to me over the phone that the lights keep breaking" - I've never seen this happen).
    I was getting such a pain in my family jewels & even once he and his wife even started giving out to me and then hung up on me.

I eventually said that I was sending off the form to the insurance company (which I did but with instructions not to process it yet).
    The guy paid up fairly quick then!

I would not trust anyone as they can and often do their utmost to get out of it somehow.
    Write all the details down asap before you forget them and inform your insurance company - they dont have to act on it yet.

Was the girl in the car on her own on a 1st provisional? Legally it is a hanging offence now!

Originally posted by kbannon
    Was the girl in the car on her own on a 1st provisional? Legally it is a hanging offence now!

Followed by a burning at the stake! MUAHAHAHH :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Was she attractive?

Ask if she'll sleep with you to pay off her debts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ah yeh definatly inform the guards to have a record, i'm just saying its a bit of a f*cked up world when ya have to do that to cover your back cos of the amount of sh*theads out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by mike65
    His parents were reasonable ppl and all turned out fine.

Luckily for you.

A mate of mine was knocked off his bike from behind by a car a while back. It was clearly the woman in the car's fault, so she agreed straight away to pay for any damage to the bike, but understandably enough didn't want to go through the insurance co for such a small sum if possible. My mate thought nothing much of it, no serious injuries, so they exchanged details and he awaited her call without informing the police or his insurance company.

A couple of days later, he has the woman's husband on the phone to him, demanding payment for damage done to the front of his wife's car. Turns out the husband reported the crash to the police, so they were taking their side. End result, my mate got shafted out of several hundred euros.

The moral of the story is: you should inform the police so you have a record - even just for the fact that if the other person does report it before you, it could look bad on you. Reporting the accident to the police doesn't mean the police will stick their noses into it, it doesn't mean anyone's insurance co is going to be contacted, it just covers your ass. You'd be stupid to take risks these days. There is absolutely no reason not to contact the police, and you'd be thick not to IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Sico
    Luckily for you.

A mate of mine was knocked off his bike from behind by a car a while back. It was clearly the woman in the car's fault, so she agreed straight away to pay for any damage to the bike, but understandably enough didn't want to go through the insurance co for such a small sum if possible. My mate thought nothing much of it, no serious injuries, so they exchanged details and he awaited her call without informing the police or his insurance company.

A couple of days later, he has the woman's husband on the phone to him, demanding payment for damage done to the front of his wife's car. Turns out the husband reported the crash to the police, so they were taking their side. End result, my mate got shafted out of several hundred euros.

The moral of the story is: you should inform the police so you have a record - even just for the fact that if the other person does report it before you, it could look bad on you. Reporting the accident to the police doesn't mean the police will stick their noses into it, it doesn't mean anyone's insurance co is going to be contacted, it just covers your ass. You'd be stupid to take risks these days. There is absolutely no reason not to contact the police, and you'd be thick not to IMO.

Holy ****. Are you serious? That is so harsh. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You have to be very careful because she reversed into you. It implies you were too close to her.

Do some notes for yourself immediately and have a chat with a friendly cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

CLASS !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

How many people here would give the other person's side? Or put their hand up and say they were the other person?

There are alot of scam artists around. But there's very little to say if you're set against trusting people generally. I once backed into a guys car, there was no damage to my own, his back door was only dented (I got him with the corner of the my bumper). I gave him a phone number and where I worked and had the uniform to prove I was working there at that moment (I was doing deliveries).

I ended up paying almost what I paid for my own car cost in the first place (my car wasn't exactly new, and he got a brand new door and resprayed it). I'm not saying anything about blame on either side (it was my fault), or about anyone else (or the guy, because I don't entirely know all the facts), but this can cut both ways.

I'm not saying don't go through official channels, only if she's honest, I'm sure she's sh***ing herself. Someone's going to say 'that's the real world, she has to learn somehow'. I'm fairly sure her parents are letting her know.

Having said that, a friend on a provisional licence tapped a parked car, only denting it. He took down the reg number(?), paniced and left. His father traced the guy through the reg and he turned out to have had no insurance, tax or nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Its not really her you're dealing with, it's her dad most likely. He will basically control the whole thing and she, if new to driving and on first license, will let him. She is a kid in the motor world. He will try and do his best to stop his daughter getting screwed (no pun intended), even if wrong.

Get the accident documented by police. If an insurance company needs evidence, they can then get it from the best place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭2142

Be very careful. A lorry crashed into me a few years ago and caused £2000 worth of damage. The guy said that he would pay for it and did not want to go through the insurance. I reported to the gardai and my insurance company. When I rang the guy in the lorry he said that he was not accepting resposibility. As I had no witnesses I had to pay for the repairs myself. Always get the person to sign something saying that they were responsible or get the gardai on the scene.

Hey Ive read through the replies and they have been very helpful and Interesting.

Heres the update....Well I informed my insurance company. They told me that there is no problem with me settling outside of the insurance company, they are just glad that I recorded the details of the crash and things are now great.

I filled out the Crash Report form and wrote down everything that happened that night. I was talking to a lady in the insurance company (quinn) and she said that it is wise for me to report to them, because if this girl turns around and says "oh no, that never happened" then I have a fall back because all her details are now recorded with my insurance company.they said they will not be getting in contact with the 3rd party unless they want me to....I said don't bother unless she turns around and makes a claim against me..highly unlikey and not wise..... Got the damage assessed today and I will be given a quote tomorrow...

There is no need to inform the Gardai in my opinion and the insurance company didnt mind about that.

You see the thing is, if I didn't inform my insurance company they could have turned on me and said I went into them.....then I would be royally screwed as my insurance co. would say "well why didnt you tell us in the first place....."

Im not bothered to be honest, because if they do turn around and say I hit them, I have the phone call recorded with them fully admitting responsibility and the father saying he is willing to "do what it takes to keep my daughters no claims bonus".

Hot Dog.....:D

Oh and just to reply to someone who said I was to close to her...

I was at the other end of a 7 foot box junction and she reversed the whole way through it and hit me...

Oh and yes she was very attractive and yes she was on her first provisional which as we know is not good. But hey...no lets not be hypocrites about the whole "driving on your own on your first provisional".

I would be very surprised if any of us drivers here, didn't drive on their own while on their first provisional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Jokah
    There is no need to inform the Gardai in my opinion and the insurance company didnt mind about that.
    So one more dangerous driver on the road and one more accident unrecorded.....

Advertisement