Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Driver Just reversed into me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

What would u then Victor?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Jokah
    What would u then Victor?
    ?

Your post sounded like "well if anything else happens in the future, and that girl is to blame, then we should blame me instead of her, because I didn't report it way back when she was 18"......

I have done my bit...

Your post sounded like "well if anything else happens in the future, and that girl is to blame, then we should blame me instead of her, because I didn't report it way back when she was 18"......
    Sorry, my point being there are only 20,000 reported accidents (+~15,000 car thefts), but 180,000 motor claims every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Something a bit weird about this.

So she is a learner and only has her license one week? Then how can she have a no claims bonus? (Could be Daddy's no claims of course).

Technically it is illegal not to report an accident, though this is pretty minor. I'd make sure you have her details correct and if there are any problems with her paying up then threaten to claim.

Actually he'd probably be better off with a claim unless he's no protection on his NCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by shoegirl
    So she is a learner and only has her license one week? Then how can she have a no claims bonus? (Could be Daddy's no claims of course).
    Doesn't make sense, you're right. Could be a strange twist of logic where Daddy wants his daughter to have an NCB next year when she applies for her insurance and ticks the "no claims in the past three years" box for the next three years.

I never thought about that licence thing actually...good point

Sorry Victor, I was in a sarky mood last night cos of the whole car assessment damage thing. So apologies...

Ill keep this up to date as things progress...no price on the car yet...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Victor
    Sorry, my point being there are only 20,000 reported accidents (+~15,000 car thefts), but 180,000 motor claims every year.
    Shouldn't the insurance companies be reporting them ?

Damage came back as 1400 euros.

Am telling him tonight...No strings and an independent VW garage did the evaulation.

Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats not too bad (not that you're paying of course), just have the estimate handy to show the father of the crasher...

Mike.

• Advertisement

Oh, make sure they are billed for the time you are wheel-less.

Well, I get paid for holidays, the only inconvenience is that I have to travel 20 miles to work everyday, and I wont have a car to get out to work..

I'll work something out...He is quite a resonable man, he rang me on Thursday to ask if I had forgotten about the whole thing.

Ill see how it goes...

Well, I get paid for holidays, the only inconvenience is that I have to travel 20 miles to work everyday, and I wont have a car to get out to work.. I'll work something out...He is quite a resonable man, he rang me on Thursday to ask if I had forgotten about the whole thing. Ill see how it goes...
    Most garages will give you a loaner car and include the cost in the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Interesting one really. Having had 3 minor scrapes (rather than crashes - seems to harsh for them really) 2 of which were no my fault. It's always a tricky one.

First one, I had to brake very hard to stop from hitting a pedestrian. The woman behind hit me, got out and started shouting about what an idiot I was, when I told her why I had to brake she called me stupid. When I pointed out she was in the wrong and I was well within my rights to claim she shut up pretty quick. When I asked why she'd been so close to me before the incident she said she hadn't been paying attention. I had witnesses to it etc etc. Funnily enough, I had virtually no damage to me car, whereas her front bumper was pretty bad, but being a learner at the time (L Plates up and all) she obviously thought I'd be an easy target. Once I started talking about ringing the gardai and mentioned claiming again she shut fairly quick and started talking about doing nothing about it since it had been her fault for not paying due care and attention. Sorted.

Second, I was coming down a hill and had to stop for a line of traffic. The Road had roadworks going on and they'd been cleaning their bollards with soapy water, so when I braked I skidded and slid into the back of the car in front. I was only going about 2 mile and hour when I hit them, moreso nudged them. She got out and looked at the damage, looked at the fear on my face and the L plate on my car and then said 'It's ok the only damage I see there is what I've done myself' I coulda kissed her really and after making sure that she was sure that nothing was going to be done, we went our seperate ways.

Third, at the toll bridge on the M50. The guy behind me hit me when I was stopped in line for the booths. He got out and nearly cried - no damage to either car but it was fairly obvious he shouldn't have been there (ie a learner on the M50) he was terrified I was going to claim or something and he'd have been f**ked. So being the lovely kind benevolent person I am and there being no damage to my (or his) car, told him to leave it and we'd be on our way. He was so apologetic, admitted liabilty and was so happy that I was letting him off. He made me take his name, number and reg just in case I changed my mind but didn't want the same details from me.

So it pays to be kind when the situation allows and give people the benefit of the doubt. This 'claim culture' that seems to be worsening in this country is getting out of hand. Years ago things were just settled with cold hard cash. Not always and option but sometimes it's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by mudflapgirl

...She got out and looked at the damage, looked at the fear on my face and the L plate on my car and then said 'It's ok the only damage I see there is what I've done myself' I coulda kissed her really and after making sure that she was sure that nothing was going to be done, we went our seperate ways...

So it pays to be kind when the situation allows and give people the benefit of the doubt. This 'claim culture' that seems to be worsening in this country is getting out of hand. Years ago things were just settled with cold hard cash. Not always and option but sometimes it's better.

God bless that woman!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

You should have kissed her, and posted pics of the event for us:mad:

Advertisement