Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs with good bits which are still mostly crap.

Options
  • 17-04-2004 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a list of songs you people think are mostly rubbish but at the same time still have the odd good bit in there somewhere that at least showed the song had signs of potential.

Here's my own offering:
    (0m42s) to (1m32s) of Franz Ferdinands 'Jacqueline'. After a lame ass 'poetry reading style' intro the song kicks into gear with a couple of very enjoyable guitar riffs & as a bonus we even get an engaging verse lyric about how 'it's (apparently?)always better on holiday'. Problem occurs at 1m32 when the aformentioned 'holiday' verse is immediately repeated and then again approx 400 times subsequently intersperced with a variety of dirge causing the listener to lose interest at an alarming rate.

On the plus side 'Jacqueline' will definetly make a decent adverstisment soundtrack for Snickers bars someday.

//

So have you got any other songs that fit this description?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

yeah the intro to that ash song "life less ordinary@ is amazing and its downhill from there!

aw and "anyone can play guitar" by radiohead-> excellent upbeat chorus with sh1te non fitting verse!!! (and not in a cool radiohead way!) Similar effort with the last song on the new album that goes "ll keep the wolf from your door..." but that really works - great song!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Intro to -Cant stop- by - The Red Hot ****ty Peppers-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Franz Ferdinands - Jacqueline is the opening song to the album, and is a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Does anyone else think that the intro to Can't Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers sounds like a total rip from the intro to Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins. The guitar riff sounds exactly the same and the drum beat sounds kinda alike too. They both even break out in to the proper song after 21 seconds! Then again there is one difference, Cherub Rock is a great song, Can't Stop by RHCP is indeed mostly crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Does anyone else think that the intro to Can't Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers sounds like a total rip from the intro to Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins.

Totally! Apart from the 4 second drum roll at the start of Cherub they are virtually identical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Does anyone else think that the intro to Can't Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers sounds like a total rip from the intro to Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins.
    Nope. :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

chilis vs pumpkins: just happened to have both albums at the ready, listened to both intros, guitar/drum sound is the same, notes are similar, but timing is different, so answer is no. Listen to them both again.

agreed 'can't stop' is mostly naff but the bit i love is john frusciante's backing vocal "aaaahhhh, aaahhh, oohhh" at 0:53.

pigman... don't really agree with u on jacqueline... seems u have a problem with the reptition and not the riff/melody/vocal itself... nearly all songs repeat themselves in this way... notable exception being classical music

songs with good bits that turn crap:

chilis - by the way - 11. cabron
    spanish guitar plucking 0:16 to 0:24 ... brilliant... completely ruined by vocal 'cabron, cabron' at 0:24

royksopp - melody am - 9. She's So
    0:00 - 0:53 amaaazing saxophone sound with synth in background, blows my mind every time. Completely ruined by pop-80s-bleepy bit at 0:53. Should have cut straight to the piano bit at 2:16.

lots of coldplay songs that are great in the verse but go to ****e in the chorus

must be millions more examples

ps. saw franz ferdinand at the ambassador on fri... kicking... favourite bit was during 'take me out' when the crowd starting singing the guitar riff that comes in at 1:04... 'doo noo noo n noo lu loo, doo noo noo no lu loo'... brilliant. HOWEVER this sounds exactly like some led zeppelin song... but i can't find it... anyone know the song i'm talking about (and which album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by rowan
    ps. saw franz ferdinand at the ambassador on fri... kicking... favourite bit was during 'take me out' when the crowd starting singing the guitar riff that comes in at 1:04... 'doo noo noo n noo lu loo, doo noo noo no lu loo'... brilliant. HOWEVER this sounds exactly like some led zeppelin song... but i can't find it... anyone know the song i'm talking about (and which album)

Not too sure which one you're talking about, but could it be "Immigrant Song" from Led Zeppelin III. It's also on the Remasters (Best Of)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It doesnt sound like a Led Zeppelin song but it definally has a hint of Zeppelin to it.

found it! its trampled underfoot from physical grafitti or remasters. Listen to that then compare with 'take me out' at about 1:23.
    Again its almost-exactly-the-same-but-just-slightly-different

still, good song tho take me out. best thing about is the complete tempo change in the middle of the song, 140bpm down to 105bpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

waaaay too many to mention... i think with dance music its easier to be really objective, plus djing really forces you to look at your tunes in a really critical and analytical way, but the amount of tunes ive not picked up because there was just one element in them that i didnt like or that didnt fit with the rest of the tune is huge...

as for tunes with good bits in them that were otherwise crap i suppose "dont de-rock me" by forgettable 80's metal also-rans Tesla had an amazing guitar solo but, frankly, rubbish lyrics [its a dude complaining his girlfriend wont let him "rock" and is trying to "de-rock" him --> "dont de-rock me, dont DE ROCK me!"] and zero structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Don't know that tune (not a huge Pumpkins fan), but I do think that it sounds really really like the intro to Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley... At least I'm pretty sure it's Last Goodbye I'm on about. It could be another tune from Grace.

Well, I'll be damned if I can't find that CD... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Turin Brakes - 5 Mile

Intro and first chorus are good, then it just turns to shte. Most of you will say the whole song is shit, but I like the intro.

coldplay - parachutes:
    03. spies - ruined at 1:18

coldplay - a rush of blood to the head
    03. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - ruined at 1:31
    06. Daylight - ruined at 1:26

so pigman tell us why ur looking for a list of such songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by deathfunk
    Don't know that tune (not a huge Pumpkins fan), but I do think that it sounds really really like the intro to Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley... At least I'm pretty sure it's Last Goodbye I'm on about. It could be another tune from Grace.

Well, I'll be damned if I can't find that CD... :)

yeah, it's very similar to 'eternal life'

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

The riff at the beginning of that centra ad is pretty groovy, but then it just turns into toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The guitar riff of spirit in the sky, is good, the rest is ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

this start of panic song by green day is class but it looses the plot after the 1.09mins of intro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

found it! its trampled underfoot from physical grafitti or remasters. Listen to that then compare with 'take me out' at about 1:23.
    Again its almost-exactly-the-same-but-just-slightly-different

still, good song tho take me out. best thing about is the complete tempo change in the middle of the song, 140bpm down to 105bpm

Wow, they are very very similar. I never noticed before.

Bent - programmed to love - swollen
    brilliant brilliant brilliant. until 2:08.

• Advertisement

smashing pumpkins - machina - 09. The Imploding Voice
    kicking until 0:46 when it goes into fluffy **** land

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

royksopp - melody am - 9. She's So
    0:00 - 0:53 amaaazing saxophone sound with synth in background, blows my mind every time. Completely ruined by pop-80s-bleepy bit at 0:53. Should have cut straight to the piano bit at 2:16.

I don't have the album, so I don't know the song. But it sounds as if taking out the 'pop-80s-bleepy bit' would be like taking a part of royksopp out of it. Well not really.

Advertisement