Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SATA install without floppy drive??

Options
  • 17-04-2004 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Am planning on building a system without a floppy drive.

It will have an SATA hard drive and a DVD burner.

I heard that Windows XP needs SATA drivers to be loaded from a floppy disk. This is obviously difficult if there is no floppy drive in the PC. Is there any way around this?

I suppose I could hook up a floppy temporarily, but that is a nasty way, and I would then have to hook up the floppy again if I ever needed to do a clean install.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah thats what i have to do at the moment which is a bit of pain in the tits as i want to be rid of floppy drives for ever and ever

when i'm installing xp i have to hit F8 or whatever it is to install a third party raid or scsi thingy i don't know though if xp only looks on the floppy drive for those driver files?

perhaps you could make a cd or something like a pen drive bootable with the drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Windows XP looks on drive a: only for these drivers. I had a hell of a time when I was installing it on my machine. I used a USB floppy drive that I borrowed just for the install. Unfortuantely only the first part of the setup recognises the USB drive, but the second part doesn't - so it can't proceed.
    I had to hook up an old floppy drive to the computer just for the install.

AFAIK you can burn the drivers to the setup CD along with an install script so it will use them from the CD. There are guides out there on how to do this, try Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Looks like I might be able to slipstream all the drivers onto the XP boot CD:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

posts crossed - thanks wizzard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

NP, here is a guide I just found.
    Very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You can instal the sata drivers from within windows

i guess you want to instal windows on your sata drive so it won't work, i had to get a floppy drive out of a different pc just for installing windows (don't have a floffy drive either)

jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Just did a fresh install of XP yesterday as I was setting up raid 0 on my drives and you do indeed need a floppy drive, I dont get the big fuss lads floppy drives are handy to have, you know that if you have a file on a floppy 99.9999999996% of computers you find will be able to access it, the same cant be said for other media.

Advertisement