Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli killing of palestinians

Options
  • 18-04-2004 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C3994F6B-9576-4702-94E3-73EA1470182E.htm

I think this article points out some very intersting and lucid points...

the two that struck me the most...

545 palestinian children have been killed since 2000
    over 20,000 have been injured out of which 1500 have sustain LIFELONG disabilities.

over 2700 palestinians have been killed in total

in contrast to this

840 israelis have been killed, including soldiers, settler paramilitaries and civillians.
    with 100 israeli children dead.

Yet palestinians are condmned and the Israeli's are not.

Ah, but the Israeli's don't "target" civillians you say?

Not true, israeli's KNOWINGLY attack buildings that have children sleeping within them...
    Amira Dotan, a spokeswoman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry, told Aljazeera.net it was inconceivable that the Israeli army targeted Palestinian civilians, let alone children.

"We are a democratic state, our government would be toppled if it was proven that our defence forces had indulged in targeting Palestinian civilians and children," she says.

"This sort of thing just doesn't happen in Israel."

When asked to explain the death of nearly 550 Palestinian children and minors by the Israeli army during the past 44 months, Dotan said the deaths were "accidental, collateral but not deliberate".

However, when further pressed to explain how the Israeli army decided to drop one-tonne bombs on apartment buildings in Gaza and carry out devastating air strikes targeting markets and crowded streets, killing scores of children and women, Dotan invoked the mantra of terror.

"Yes, we knew there were children, but we had to kill the terrorists."

so the israeli's DO target buildings with 1 tonne bombings KNOWING WELL BEFORE hand, that this will kill the children inside as well as "terrorists".

'Macabre reasoning'

Palestinian officials, including jurists and human rights activists, strongly reject and condemn this "macabre reasoning".

"Killing knowingly is killing deliberately and premeditatedly. It is a war crime which no amount of verbal juggling can extenuate," said Hanna Issa, a prominent Palestinian legal expert and Director-General of the Palestinian Ministry of Justice.

"They are killing with malice aforethought … they know in advance that children are sleeping in the targeted building, none the less, they carry out the killing without batting an eyelash … and then they shed the crocodile tears and claim that the killing was accidental or happened by mistake …there is no such thing as killing deliberately by mistake."

Stressing his point, Issa argued that Israel would never even contemplate bombing a building or a market or a crowded street if it knew that Israeli Jews were in the vicinity of the target.

I think this guy puts the truth so plain and simple. If a building was controlled by terrorists with israeli hostages, would israel drop 1 tonne bombs on the building? Would this be considered acceptable by any standards? So why is it acceptable for them to do this to palestinian civillians and children?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brendy_eire

Originally posted by Memnoch
    So why is it acceptable for them to do this to palestinian civillians and children?

It's totally unacceptable. However, if a country has money it can do whatever the hell it likes, such is the world we live in. If a country doesn't have money, get associated with one that does. It works. Israel, Uzbekistan (who boil prisioners alive), Saudi Arabia. The message for these states is, support the economic interests of a rich nation and they'll turn a blind eye to whatever it is you're up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Memnoch
    Ah, but the Israeli's don't "target" civillians you say?
    An interesting counterpoint can be found here: http://www.ict.org.il/articles/articledet.cfm?articleid=440. (Yes, I know it's a .il domain, but please don't dismiss it out-of-hand because of this. All the figures are independently verifiable elsewhere.)

As can be seen, Palestinian casualties are nearly all 15-29 year old males. Casualties among the Israelis are much more evenly distributed with regards to age and sex. So perhaps there is some truth to the Israeli claim that they try to avoid indiscriminate killing of civilians.

(Of course, I agree with you that bombing an apartment full of civilians to kill one terrorist is unacceptable. But from the figures above, this kind of attack would appear to be the exception rather than the rule.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

if you also look at the same link most of Israeli casualities are in 15-29 and for Israel doesn't matter if they are male or female as all are trained in army and they have a posibility of going back to army to fight Palestinians too, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by daveirl
    I can't take critism like this from someone who seems to admire Stalin. He killed a hell of a lot more people than Israel ever did.

so, you can't find any flaw with his arguement?

What has Stalin got to do with Israel?

Don't try to side track the issue.

What Israel has done is doing is indefensible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brendy_eire

Originally posted by daveirl
    I can't take critism like this from someone who seems to admire Stalin. He killed a hell of a lot more people than Israel ever did.

Again, argue the point. And I don't admire Stalin. He was a mass murderer with a mental condition making him paranoid of everyone around him.

And I don't admire Stalin. He was a mass murderer with a mental condition making him paranoid of everyone around him.

And he was also a political genius, as was Hitler. A person can be admired for singular actions rather than the whole. Hell, I admire Rommell for being a general, but that doesn't mean i admire every aspect of his life and what he did.

But I'm curious to know your response to Memnoch's comments.....

Advertisement