Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb blocking P2P traffic

• 18-04-2004 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Just out at a friends place in Dundalk.

He has Digiweb wireless.

Getting very poor speeds on any p2p software he is running.

Bittorrent is strangled.
    DC was not connecting to any hubs as they block the ports.

Just something to note if anybody was thinking of signing up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Could it be it is blocked by your friends firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

No,

my friend at first did not have a firewall.

He had a direct ethernet connection to an ethernet socket on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Would portscanning his machine from somewhere else reveal whether or not the ports are blocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

This seems to be a common practice (if that indeed is what is happening) among wireless solutions, when I used netsystem satellite braodband they did the same with the p2p ports.

Doesn't seem to be the case with IBB or Leap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Actually, IBB do seem to do some port blocking, some P2P apps i can't get over 4-5kb/sec. But DC++ and Bittorrent work grand, full speeds 24x7.

If you disabled all firewalls, and then went to one of these "Firewall testing sites", where they scan your computer for open ports, if any show up as closed/stealth. it means your ISP is blocking those.

I managed to find the ports blocked as well as managing to cicrumvent the block for 1 program.

I don't want to post which ports or program here incase they close the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

theres always a way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

scandalous stuff!!:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

You can change your default port on Bittorrent with Azureus :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I can't blame them really. I know of a case where a muppet 'shared' out a 'rare' U2 track last year on a P2P app and caused his ISP to take a massive hammering from downloaders everywhere with support calls galore and lawyers letters, the lot.

By throttling P2P (which appears to be flagged in their T&C's) they get a lot less general grief and provide a better service overall and probably make a margin at their price point. Once they provide an OK service overall you then dont get lots of complaints about them in here.

My technical opinion is that the interests of Gamers and the interests of heavy P2P users do not co-incide and can never ever be reconciled. Fast pings or open ports, whaddaya want ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

Tunnel over a different port. Costs a few quid if you want the speed but is free to try out a slow version.

http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp

Advertisement