Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who fights robbers for phones

• 18-04-2004 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

The New York Daily News carries a story about a 24-yr old who took two gunshots while defending his Nokia 3390. I'm grateful that I've never had a gun waved at me when someone tried to nick my phone. I've become more careful where I use the thing. I had a guy on a Ballymun bus tell me not to use my phone on the bus either. Good advice from a reformed junkie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah im almost afraid to use my phone in dublin on the streets. im very reluctant to take calls or messages and relatives etc constantly warn of using phones in dublin.

it almost defeats the purpose of having a phone if your not safe using it. a 3390's hardly worth fighting over, if it was a 6600 or something id understand. ah well, those americans are strange people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i suppose it's just instinct to protect your own stuff.. i think you might shake and regret it later but i was in kilkenny one day and a teenage lad came over to me and asked me could he use my phone to ring his ma to collect him.. i said hardly and he made a grab for it.. i grabbed him by the jumper and shook the ****e outa him.. when he got away and ran i even shouted after him something about being a scumbag and crap like that.. afterwards i was shaking and near to tears.. my family were giving out why didn't ya just give it to him but i was like **** off, i only bought it.. it was the flip camera ones when they just came out.. saved like mad for it..

don't know why i did it and i doubt i'd do that again but it was just my instinct.. i was prob lucky i didn't get a box in the face but maybe i'd surely have choked him then

say he was dizzy though ha ha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

make use of a headset walking around town - very rare I'd pull the handset out for a call (depends on the street / time etc.) - i do use it on the bus though for email / browsing but only on particular routes

if someone pulled a knife/gun on me I'd hand it over though - not worth the risk ending up in hospital (or worse) - and I wouldn't hold out much hope of any Gardai being anywhere near by...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Got my phone nicked one night. In a bad part of town. On my own against two dutch gold drinking, celtic shirt wearing knackers. Stupid 3510i, its like a ****ing beacon. Got my sim card back though. ****ty ****ty night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I dunno, I've a 6600 and I think I'd put up a huge fight before I'd let anyone take it. It was a present and that makes it mean an awful lot to me. If I get a call when I'm out I tend to keep the phone covered with my hand so it's hard to tell what it is, most people think it's a normal nokia from a distance when i'm on it.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭brophy

@ -> Explsv_Cornflk
    Thats some statement you made, so every celtic shirt wearing person in the whole lot of ireland is goin to steal your mobile fone..... jesus, eveyone in the country must stay in when there is any celtic game on.....

""Explsv_Cornflk"" make sure that you dont go out this wednesday night, well not with your mobile with you, since celtic are have a home game and are getting awarded the league trophy.... There would be hundreds if not thousdands of mobile fone robbers out that night,,,,, will ya ever cope on, that was a stupid statement for you to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally one of my friends got robbed in town, by two junkies when they grabbed the fone off him he just shouted, just give me back my sim car. They took the sim card out and through it at him and just rang off. I would personally give my fone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by smemon
    yeah im almost afraid to use my phone in dublin on the streets. im very reluctant to take calls or messages and relatives etc constantly warn of using phones in dublin.
    *shrug*
    I use my phone all the time in the city. Particularly when I'm drunk. Never had one stolen/lost.

Although, I do make a point of covering the phone with my hand. If they don't know what it is, or it looks like it wouldn't be easy to snatch and run off, they'll be reluctant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Originally posted by brophy
    @ -> Explsv_Cornflk
    Thats some statement you made, so every celtic shirt wearing person in the whole lot of ireland is goin to steal your mobile fone..... jesus, eveyone in the country must stay in when there is any celtic game on.....

""Explsv_Cornflk"" make sure that you dont go out this wednesday night, well not with your mobile with you, since celtic are have a home game and are getting awarded the league trophy.... There would be hundreds if not thousdands of mobile fone robbers out that night,,,,, will ya ever cope on, that was a stupid statement for you to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did i say every cletic fan?
    No, i don't believe I did.
    I just stated that he was wearing one.
    Therefore not a stupid statement, because he was wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

have to say most "flat" phones if you cover the back of it you dunno what it is..however i find with my phone (ngage, sideways taco) it just attracts attention, when i bought the damn thing I didn't know u had to talk into it sideways...use my old fone goin out sometimes cos I'm afraid it'll get stolen...bought the bluetooth headset but that attracts just as much attention cos it looks like your talkin to urself (dont get me started on the standard headset with the nokia logo emblazoned on the sides of it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Why bother fighting for a mobile if it was insured and you can block the IMEI so no other scumbag in Ireland at least can use your phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

A friend's roommate had her phone grabbed by some little prick as she was coming out of DIT. By all accounts, she knocked seven shades of ****e out the fella. And she still has her phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by mrblack
    Why bother fighting for a mobile if it was insured and you can block the IMEI so no other scumbag in Ireland at least can use your phone!

This is true. Does anyone know how well this system works, or is there now just a big market for stealing phones to ship abroad? A friend's phone was stolen a few weeks back (she only had it a day). It was taken out of her handbag in a nightclub. She called O2 the following morning to have the IMEI blacklisted, but O2 blacklisted the wrong phone even though she told them she had a new phone (they still had the details for an old phone that she got the sim card with and they blacklisted that one instead). The trouble is, she had started to use the old phone again as the new one was stolen. When the blacklisted phone was powered on with any sim card in it, it worked for a few seconds (i.e. you could dial numbers) but after that, it seemed that the network registered it as blacklisted and you could no longer make or receive calls on it. It just made that 'beep beep beep' sound like when you have no coverage, even though there was a full signal. It was only after ringing O2 about this problem that she was told the old phone was blacklisted by mistake. O2 corrected the error and gave her €10 euro credit for the inconvenience.

Just something to look out for if people are buying second hand phones. Make sure you try your sim card in the phone, and leave it in for a minute or two, then try to make, receive calls.

Cheers,

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

well any phone I have ever had has always been an oldish kind of phone - that said, is some scumbag tries to take it off me, he wont get the phone, and maybe only three of his fingers back.

sick of that type of scum that go around robbing people's phones. was on aston quay one night and some guy on a bike wizzed past this bloke nicking his phone in the process. I had just crossed the ha'penny bridge, and the guy on the bike was coming straight for me. i stepped to one site and literally clotheslined him off the bike. granted the phone turned out to be a old model, but the principle did stand for me - especially when the little toe-rag got up and ran off - without his bike :)

Advertisement