Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicoptors to easy fly in BF Vietnam :-(

Options
  • 18-04-2004 1:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After installing and playing BF Vietnam yesterday evening I have to say that the Helicoptors are wayyyyyyyy to easy to fly when compared to Desert Combat.

The problem with this is I believe now every newbie will start taking them because they "think" they can fly them

At one stage I had the helicoptor up in the air and I could take my hands off the keyboard/mouse for a good 30sec+ and it just went in a straight line without dropping in the sky much

It takes the fun outa the game I think and it certainly takes the skill out of it :(

I just hope they issue a patch to resolve this
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

ya can argue all you like about them being too easy to fly but in regards to the helo's in DC which by comparison use aircraft physics, the controls are perfect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The physics may be correct and the controls perfect but it should still be a bitch to fly them as in real life
    After all we're trying to keep this game realistic somewhat ain't we?

A 4 year old could fly them in BF Vietnam ffs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

As far as i can see it, this is a computer game, and computer games have to be accessable to everybody, which means Newbies (im still sorta one) should have the privilage of enjoying the game as much as old timers like yourself. When i first started plying BFV (which wasnt that long ago) i had major trouble with the choppers but ive been using choppers as much as i can to get better and its showing. I can kinda see your point but the physics are very similar to those on XPlane and i cant argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I never understand these arguments "The helios in Desert combat couldnt do anything a real chopper can but there still better damn it!!" thats pure bull ......Dc choppers (and i could fly them) are useless compeared to Vietnams .

And i love this "there easy to fly" stuff every time im in a server most people last a min or two in a vietnam heilo before flying into a tree damn newbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

Helos are easier to fly without turning upside down and smacking into the ground.
    once you do become familiar with them what makes them easy starts to work against you and makes things harder. in other words you cant pull off some of the fancy stuff that the apache is able to do. Also in Vietnam you can hit the ground way too hard without doing damage to the helo.

In the next battlefield helos will probably come with crusie control and a self parking jobby ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Strangely enough in real life helicopters are becoming more easier to fly. For example, a lot of todays helicopters have an automatic tail rotor. That means that whenever the pilot increases/decreases the collective the on-board computer automatically increases/decreases the speed of the tail rotor to counteract the change in the torque of the engine.

As regard helicopters in Vietnam/DC. A friend of mine who was good at helicopters in DC pointed out that a lot of DC pilots perceived skill actually came for good joystick set-ups (increased deadzones, decreased sensitivity etc), which to me seems to be users trying to configure their joysticks to get over the bad physics model used in DC.

The helicopters in Vietnam are fine in my opinion, there's still skill in flying, for example slowing down quickly and without changing altitude.

Just my two cents (euro not dollar) worth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Skittle
    Strangely enough in real life helicopters are becoming more easier to fly. For example, a lot of todays helicopters have an automatic tail rotor. That means that whenever the pilot increases/decreases the collective the on-board computer automatically increases/decreases the speed of the tail rotor to counteract the change in the torque of the engine.

Thing is we're dealing with Vietnam war so they should be harder to fly then recent model of choppers

point is skill should be required to fly these things and it does seem to be lacking somewhat in Vietnam

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Cabaal

A 4 year old could fly them in BF Vietnam ffs :(

Ahem---I still cant fly the damn things in BFV and Karma will vouch for that 100%.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I enjoy my time in a helicoptor and would not call myself an expert but the copters are a bit too easy to fly. First day i got it i had touble flying as i was so used to DC copters and their abalities but now i'm doing much better, i only crash after i get off the ground :)

Anyone manage to fly it in revers yet?:ninja:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Thing is we're dealing with Vietnam war so they should be harder to fly then recent model of choppers

point is skill should be required to fly these things and it does seem to be lacking somewhat in Vietnam

It takes skill to fly them well in BFV. Iv seen a couple of amazing pilots recently absoutly rapeing the the VC team. 1 guy racked up ~55 kills and 3 deaths in about 30 mins in a Huey gunship (mostly with out a gunner, till he picked me up). The other team were pleading with him to stop....

Any noob can jump in and smck in to trees/ground etc. or just get shot down straight away....

Id prefer see the m60 get its patch ASAP then do anything to the choppers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

The choppers are easy?
    The place is filled with hills and trees down low and you get spotted easily up high.

Sounds like sour grapes. People keep stealing your chopper?
    That feally f**ks me off sometimes but its funny so long as a game ain't serious.

You try flying around shooting down attack hueys in an MI-8 and then hovering over points to take them, avoiding stolen SA-7s and enemy planes. And they are damn small maps, even smaller when Karma has a cobra. :rolleyes:

Hell, there's an art to driving a boat on most maps but nobody celebrates a high-speed run through the waterways. Or really does it.

I used to love the old game Hind and the sister game Apache but do you really want to pixie about with realism when someone like me INSISTS on being there hiding in a bush with an SA-7 and TNT laid at the flag.

Everything has its place, like Operation Flashpoint takes a War Sim to new pissy heights. RESPECT, but its not fun. Sometimes satisying but not really fun.

I don't use a joystick (grrr), I'm not very good and the best pilot I've seen is Karma, I'd say. And he should probably still be replaced with a more efficient japanese model that can transform into a windmill.

- Spef Kepsne

And while I'm ranting :D
    The cobra? WTF?

Anti-air : Fantastic
    Ant-ppl : Lovely jovely
    Anti-vehicle : Spiffing

The attack huey is bad enough but the cobra?
    Maybe it's just because I'm almost always NVA when there's a cobra in the map but it seems a bit crazy.

On the plus side, the PT-76.
    An amphibious tank? Genius! I love it. There's a tactical advantage.
    Well, until someone shoots you from the sky, but still...
    Drivey-drivey, swimmy-swimmy, drivey-drivey, NUTT!

What you think of the Chinook btw?

- Spef kepsne.

Originally posted by Panzer81
    the best pilot I've seen is Karma,

- Spef Kepsne

Im better than karma and every one knows it damn it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I couldnt agree more the coppers in bfv are way to easy to fly. But thats not the only thing they ruinned, tanks wtf anyone can drive tanks and jeeps now. I'm hoping against hope that new patch will also fix the way people can like point their gun at someone and hit them, WTF !!!
    Making games accessable like this is ruinning them for everyone, much better if it was totally unplayable I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think the tanks are no different to drive/use in vietnam if anything i think they are a bit more difficult due to the crap field of vision in them. however what i do take issue with with the tanks is that they aren't a force to be reckoned with anymore.

i was playing dc last night and had to remember oh theres a tank i'm gonna die now instead of running rings around them in vietnam and waiting for the tell-tale sign of the music switching off or a sudden appearance of the tank on the map when the tank guy realises he can't get ya and comes out to track you down only for you to rape him with your gun

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i think the tanks are no different to drive/use in vietnam if anything i think they are a bit more difficult due to the crap field of vision in them. however what i do take issue with with the tanks is that they aren't a force to be reckoned with anymore.

DATA DATA HE WAS BEING FUNNY YOU MUPPET!!!

ok ok i didn't spot the joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Originally posted by bizmark
    Im better than karma and every one knows it damn it! :D

I'll copilot for ya anytime :)

I've seen Karma fly and do funky stuff a bit more than you Bizmark, though you have owned my NVA ass a few times.

Maybe it's just that Karma is almost always airbourne.
    He's a bloody chopper addict. We're talking real problem here.
    I've tried to help him with my SA-7 but he's so persistant and helos are so readily available. And of course everyone else is doing it.
    There's times, just after my SA-7 has missed again and he's placed a rocket in my mouth, that I feel sorry for him.
    It's a compulsion you see, he doesn't really hate every land-faring soul in the digital universe.

I think if we all band together to help him we can really make a difference.
    If you see him struggling with his urges or even give in for a moment, 'help' him out. A little bit of support is all he needs to get his feet back on the ground.

Have a heart, shoot him down.

- Spef Kepsne

i will endeavour to do my best to shoot him down for the good of karma

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Instant Karma
    I'll copilot for ya anytime :)

Aye tis great fun when we team up no jet helio or ground forces stand in our way!! .When ya think about it we should always be in the same helio we do very well and normaly dominate the skys for the team

But i do normaly win in air to air fights :ninja: (had to get that dig in there for the hell of it)

don't worry about it karma i'm sure your better then bizmark, see bizmark has issues admitting defeat see i reckon it stems back to childhood, what follows may be an exaggeration.

see when he was young i reckon he had a lisp and had difficulty developing that thick cork bogger accent we all know and hate for this reason he got beaten up in the school yard every morning for his lunch money and lost every fight/argument especially the arguements as he couldn't even spoken properly and had to look for sentences with very little s's in them. Now he is grown up (this maybe the exaggeration part no one really knows if he had grown up or not) and his lisp is less pronounced and he has now decided from now on he shall win every arguement and do his best to rid his childhood demons

so don't feel to bad about we all know you rock, and eh i'll go back to sorting out my music collection

data

You have been dreaming about me again havent you

well least this one was dry.....

Back to helicopters:

Played a round earlier where my 'enlightened' teammates ignored the cobra TWICE in favour of the slick huey. WTF???
    Losing...
    MI-8s everywhere...
    Airbase under attack...

'I know, lets like, take the s**t chopper and, like, die in the gunners doorway'.
    Frustration builds.

- Spef Kepsne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

just started trying to fly the heli's there and i can actually fly them alright. U can't hardly fly them in dc at all unless u have a joystick or just spend ages learning how to do it with the keyboard. But still there not simple to fly they still require a bit of skill. I like the new indicator thing that tell u where is level or and stuff. helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Flying in DC is easy after a bit, but once you select another postion in the chopper, it astrts to fall straight away, but in Vietnam, you can jump into the co-pilots seat, fire off a heat-seeker or two, and jump back into the main seat, and be able to regain control, all without crashing.

Meh the cobra falls to the side when you jump into the second seat unless your fast it will crash or spin out of control ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by the_syco
    Flying in DC is easy after a bit, but once you select another postion in the chopper, it astrts to fall straight away, but in Vietnam, you can jump into the co-pilots seat, fire off a heat-seeker or two, and jump back into the main seat, and be able to regain control, all without crashing.

Actually, I think the exact opposite. Think the choppers in Vietnam fall much quicker than DC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement