Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The much awaited and dreaded Keane thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Originally posted by talla
    to be honest i wouldn't call drawing away against Albania, losing away against switzerland, drawing at home against Russia, barely beating albania and georgia at home even half decent results(apart from georgia away, tough match because of atmosphere). Not one of the teams listed above are world beaters!

True, the Irish results for the EC were far from earth shattering
    given the quality of the opposition as you say. I guess I'm trying
    to judge Kerr to some extent not on a global standard but relative
    to other Irish teams.

After two losses at the start, we got 3 wins and a draw. Everything
    was set-up for the Russian match where a win would have done us
    and put us through to the play-offs at least. Thats all Ireland have
    typically done in the past lest we forget, we are not world beaters.
    It was a poor group.

results in reverse order:

Switzerland 2-0 Rep of Ireland
    Rep of Ireland 1-1 Russia
    Rep of Ireland 2-0 Georgia
    Rep of Ireland 2-1 Albania
    Albania 0-0 Rep of Ireland
    Georgia 1-2 Rep of Ireland
    Rep of Ireland 1-2 Switzerland
    Russia 4-2 Rep of Ireland

GROUP TEN TABLE
    Team P W D L GF GA Pts
    Switzerland 8 4 3 1 15 11 15
    Russia 8 4 2 2 19 12 14
    Rep Ireland 8 3 2 3 10 11 11
    Albania 8 2 2 4 11 15 8
    Georgia 8 2 1 5 8 14 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by smemon
    miller and keane in the centre and you cant go wrong. duff on the left and we've 3 of the best midfielders in the world.

Lol, eh somehow I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by redspider

results in reverse order:

Switzerland 2-0 Rep of Ireland
    Rep of Ireland 1-1 Russia
    Rep of Ireland 2-0 Georgia
    Rep of Ireland 2-1 Albania
    Albania 0-0 Rep of Ireland
    Georgia 1-2 Rep of Ireland
    Rep of Ireland 1-2 Switzerland
    Russia 4-2 Rep of Ireland

But the manner in which we played was dire. We were so lucky to beat georgia and albania, not to mention lucky to get a draw in albania. We were also crap against russia and the swiss in the last 2 games.

The only reason we had such a bad start was because everyone was on McCarthys case after the WC, and his departure was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    ... but what has changed? If anything, he has changed for the good. I doubt he'll miss another international friendly and his attidude has changed completely with only 2 red cards in 2 years

I agree that Roy is managing to control his temper much better. He is mellowing and at this stage of his career and since his hip-op especially would probably not now execute the Alfie Halland “take that you …” chop. However, his style of play has also changed. He doesn’t get into the opposing box as often and he doesn’t lunge into so many tackles. He is the top passer in the premiership – not the top tackler. His passing is very stable indeed but he is not the engine he once was.

However, I don’t think he will not miss another friendly. That to me would be very surprising. Playing for Man U doesn’t really help him in relation to that as he will be under pressure to rest. However, he must play a part in at least one or two friendlies before Sept.

“what has changed” is a good question though and asked by us all. Roy probably hasn’t changed since Jan/Feb of 2003 when Kerr came on board and Roy expressed a desire to return. Kerr hasn’t changed his desire to have him back. But Ferguson and Man U have changed their minds not to let him play. A year has passed, and maybe Ferguson had already promised Roy tat at the end of this season (which we are now at, Roy is not playing for Man U) then the choice would be up to Roy. There is still a stickler over playing in friendlies, as Ferguson may not want him to be involved in those next year. I guess we will only find out for certain in the coming months what really has changed.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I believe he is a changed person and it all should be forgotten.

I believe that he has mellowed to some extent, but I don’t think he has changed that radically. And I don’t think the whole affair can be forgotten – partially forgiven perhaps, but not forgotten! Some people have told me that he will now get back into the Irish limelight, play a few games for Ireland and will be remembered way more sweetly than McCarthy with the blame for the Saipan event left at Mick’s door as mismanagement. That may turn out to be the case but I hope it is not Roy’s underlying reason for coming back. There is a danger to all of this that Roy is playing us all. He is really a complex character and doesn’t even tell his shrink (although I doubt if he has one) his real inner thoughts, so who knows what is going on inside his head. The facts are that Roy is now 2 years older since Saipan, is a player with a different style and is unlikely to be player of the tournament or even of the Irish team in the 2006 WC. I welcome him back *IFF* he uses the opportunity positively and heals the rifts, as that is a positive step for one and all. An apology would be part of that and would show everyone that he is a mature person. The success of his re-introduction will finally depend on the fans who have yet to have their collective say. Many die-hard fans may not be as forgiving as I am – but none of us will forget. Lets see him in an Irish shirt for 70 or 90 mins and then make our judgement on his impact on the team. My estimation is that he will make little overall difference. I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong.

-redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dustaz
    My biggest worry at this stage is still this coaching clause which hasnt been mentioned so far. Its possible i misunderstood but on the radio (Might have been on pat kenny, cant remember), Some sports analyst insisted that he had a 'first refusal' clause in this comeback agreement where he gets to be first in line to manage the team if/when kerr leaves.

I havent heard anything about that elsewhere so i may have imagined it or misunderstood the report.

Anyone?
    I haven't heard anything about a clause but Tony Cascarino said that the only reason Keane is back is because he wants to manage Ireland in the future. Cascarino and Keane aren't the best of friends so I wouldn't take anything from that. Anyway, Kerr should be the Ireland manager for at least 4 years so Keane will more than likely have some coaching experience by then which he can be judged on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wouldn't believe a word Cascarino says ( Keane said as much on the Eammon Dunphy interview I think it was there, but he definitely said it )

He's hardly the most reliable source, sure hadn't he us all fooled that he was Irish?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gosh, 3 pages in and its still relevant, intelligent and on topic. Who said tough love doesnt work! :)

To make this NOT the first post off topic, I agree with Dusty in that I will still support the team but I question the wisdom of making Roy captain... even if the current captain is happy to step aside it makes me wonder if it was part of a deal: "I'll come back but only if you make me captain" sort of thing.

I think Red Spider has a point about how the other players might feel given this special treatment for Keane... I hope it doesnt affect them and we get through but I cant say I wouldnt think about it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by DeVore
    To make this NOT the first post off topic, I agree with Dusty in that I will still support the team but I question the wisdom of making Roy captain... even if the current captain is happy to step aside it makes me wonder if it was part of a deal: "I'll come back but only if you make me captain" sort of thing.
    Kerr said in today's press conference that Cunningham will remain captain.

Advertisement