Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I cut my Car TAX

Options
  • 18-04-2004 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

My car tax is due next month, I am driving a 1.9D Car/Van wnich is taxed Private and will cost about €500 to re tax. I have heard that if i get the car tested (not NCT) like other commercial vehicles and it passes then i will only have to pay the comercial rate which is about half. Is this true and has anybody else here gone through this. any advice on this will be greatly apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm not sure if it would work. Do you not need to have proof that the car/van is used for commerical use, company letter and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This will only work if you are a commercial business and registered as such I think. Also many insurance policies exclude commercial vehicles...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Actually it depends.

Some counties want a good vehicle declaration, get it signed at a cop shop.Wicklow is the worst for demanding these, I got one signed in the local cop shop where I am not known no problems at all. Some just dont care, just use the change of class form (yellow)

Insurance shoudnt be a prob as most cover use for business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you change the tax status from private to commercial then legally you will probably have to notify the insurance company - you will then end up paying them far more that what you are saving in tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

I was told by a someone that you dont have to change from Private to Commercial but just take the Test and go to the tax office with the proof that the car/van passed, as you may or may not be aware that a Car/Van does not have to be tested (NCT or Commercial test) at the present time. I will have to ask them when i go there next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

If you have a private car (like, say, a VW Golf), it cannot be taxed commercially at all!

If you have a commercial vehicle (like a jeep, or whatever) you have to tax it privately if you can't prove it is for commercial use (like a Goods Only Declaration, commercial insurance, etc.).

If you get a commercial road worthiness test, the garage will probably do it (why would they refuse the money!?) but the Motor Tax Office people will laugh you out of the building! (That's justa figure f speech - They won't really laugh at you - They'll just explain that it is useless for a private vehicle).

"Car Vans" are currently in a kinda grey area - they require neither an NCT nor a DoE but that'll change soon, I believe. I think you can tax these commecially if you can prove it will be used as such (If you have a comercially taxed vehicle, it will prohibit you from using it for ANY private purchase (i.e. you're not supposed to pick the kids up from school or pop up to the shop or pub in it!)).

Hope this helps . . .

Regards
    Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lardy Croft

I have recently moved to Donegal with my Land Rover 90 Defender. If I remove the seats and seat belts and get a VCT ticket on it can I then get commercial road tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

oldposts.jpg

Please do not drag up threads from 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Please do not drag up threads from 3 years ago.

Indeed

Feel free to start a new thread, Lardy Croft, but make sure you read the charter before posting anything...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement