Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent problem

• 18-04-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

ahoi >:)

Im using IOLBB and the prestige 600 series router / modem. I can never get bittorrent working , Ive tried loads of different clients and torrents. I have also tried forwarding the ports that the clients use ( not 100% sure if ive forwarded the correct ones though ) .

I have tried turning the XP firewall off too.

Am I missign somthing simple ? any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

What exactly isent working?your not getting a green light?or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm having problems with Bit Torrent too - I can't get a green light, how do I get one, it's always yellow. I have the ZyXEL ADSL USB Modem WA.9.2.C0 and I'm on IOL if that helps. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

are you running a network?if you are are you using the host or client?once xp firewall is off and any other program that contants a firewall is off then there shouldnt be a prob unless your on a client comp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Have you tried opening the ports? Bit torent need ports 6881-6999 open on inbound and outbound and also port 6969 open for outbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Firstly, open and forward the correct ports, these can be found in the readme of your client.

Secondly, if you are having client problems, try using Burst, its the only one that would work at full speed for me. I highyl recommend it.

Also, try a torrent file with loads of seeds/peers first, just to make sure its working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I've got the xp firewall on, that's probably why I'm getting a yellow light. The last time I turned it off I got the blaster worm within 5 mins. Does it affect the speed much between having a yellow or green light?

Ah yes, disable the WinXP firewall, but first download Kerio Personal Firewall. I highly recommend that. The WinXP one is unconfigureable, so its not great.

Also get all the latest critical patches from the windows site, then you won't get blaster.

And the difference in speed is HUGE, its well worth the minor hassle of changing firewall, (and opening ports if you own a hardware firewall).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Aye the problem is i aint egtting a green light , it starts off at around 40-50k and after a few mins goes to 1k.

I think I have all them ports forwarded , im not running a network however two PCs are connected to the router.

Ill try that client thanks

different clients need different ports, so just make sure you have all the right ones opened for incoming and outgoing connections. And also make sure the XP firewall is off, thats something davey reminded me of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

ahh for fark sake tusky :).

Forward 6881 for azureus and it should be grand.

remember to forward it to the ip of the computer with bit torrent installed.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Truckle
    ahh for fark sake tusky :).

Forward 6881 for azureus and it should be grand.

remember to forward it to the ip of the computer with bit torrent installed.

hehe Truckle you jinx me , leave and never look at this thread again ! And I have forward'd that port

zyxelnat.JPG

JUST DO IT!

Try forwarding 6969 aswell. and make sure they are to the right ip. To find your ip type "ipconfig" in the dos prompt thingum (run > cmd)

Also give it a while to go green, sometimes it can take a few minutes.

[edit] and JINX! [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Aye i get yellow light aswell , Im on D-link router but cant see where to open ports etc like you have. XP firewall turned off.
    Any ideas? I'd really like to get propper speeds :/
    Im using azureus atm.

Adam

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Ah yes, disable the WinXP firewall, but first download Kerio Personal Firewall. I highly recommend that. The WinXP one is unconfigureable, so its not great.

Also get all the latest critical patches from the windows site, then you won't get blaster.

And the difference in speed is HUGE, its well worth the minor hassle of changing firewall, (and opening ports if you own a hardware firewall).

If you have the ZyXel router thingy a firewall is pretty redundant as by default the router does not forward any incoming connections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i find bit torents bad to download stuff the highest throughput i ever got was 3 kbps

there is better out there if your willing to look ;)

Originally posted by jank
    i find bit torents bad to download stuff the highest throughput i ever got was 3 kbps

there is better out there if your willing to look ;)

P2Ps are crap :p well im yet to find a good one anywho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

yeah i used bittorrent and got a HUGE 3kb download - whats the big thing with it, thought it was supposed to be something good ?

well i often get speeds of 40-50 kb/s.

If you set it up properly and use healthy torrents its great.

Originally posted by T-b0n3
    Aye i get yellow light aswell , Im on D-link router but cant see where to open ports etc like you have. XP firewall turned off.
    Any ideas? I'd really like to get propper speeds :/
    Im using azureus atm.

Adam

I don't own a d-link modem so i dunno what the layout is, but you'll find the forwarding menu under "nat" "port forwarding" and the like (NAT = Network address translation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Is it not acceptable to even post the name of any P2P programs. I have not had much luck with BitTorent, and am looking for an alternative. I used to used K**z** but have 'heard' a lot of bad things about virus trouble, etc. Which is the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Im sure this is the place to fix it , can any one point me in the right direction? I aint got a clue how to do it.

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

BT is the gears! Lately I have been seeing over 100 KB/s on some torrents. 3 KB/s is definitely not the norm!

Off topic but has anybody else noticed a fair few of the BT sites are down an awful lot lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by milltown
    Off topic but has anybody else noticed a fair few of the BT sites are down an awful lot lately?
    YES!!; it seems as if BT is a victim of it's own fame;). Oh well I've noticed an increase in speed for my torrents but I rarely get 50kb constant 20-30kb is more like it - still that's good :D.

peoples ! please dont talk about p2p in this thread , dont want to get it closed down:(

still getting a yellow light.... forwarded all ports mentioned on this thread =/ downloading at 38 k though :eek: wont last.

NAT.JPG

does that look right ?

I tried testing 6881 in the Azureus configuration wizard - it says NAT error , says 6969 is fine so I changed it to that....dunno if that works but im giving it a go :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Originally posted by Tusky
    peoples ! please dont talk about p2p in this thread , dont want to get it closed down:(

Err... Does it not name a P2P program in the title?

Originally posted by milltown
    Err... Does it not name a P2P program in the title?

shh :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Down with that sort of thing....
    Careful now!!

Im sure ye are all downloading shareware games and free internet utilities and stuff.

Excellent.

• Advertisement

Dont froget teh unix distros!

warezmonkey.jpg

not quite teh one i wanted but close enough.

Advertisement