Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent problem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm using BitTornado (aka Shadow's client) for BitTorrent downloads, but I can't get rid of the "yellow light" in it.

The yellow light means I'm not receiving any incoming connections because of a firewall, even though I have forwarded ports 6881 - 6889.

Downloads never go faster than 4-5kB/sec, but I used always get >40kB/sec before.

I'm using Clicksilver, has anyone else on UTV had this problem when using a router? I even tried making my PC the "DMZ server", which AFAIK, effectively opens all ports.

The light goes green when I use the modem supplied by UTV.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

One last time:
    Get a decent firewall and install it, I use zonealarm - easy to configure. Set it to pass 6881 to 6889, it will prompt you when the client tries to access the internet, tick the box and reply yes when this happens.

Turn off XP built in firewall (NetworkConnections -> Local Area Connection -> Advanced -> untick the box) ... then get into your router's configuration page and allow 6881 - 6889 incoming ..... to your particular PC's IP address.

I've done this (using shadows experimental client and a Netgear DG814) and nearly always get 50k+ downloads .... if there are feckall seeds you'll probably get less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Check out this site for more info about how to open ports on firewalls.

I would suggest opening ports 6881 to 6999 as more new torrents are now using those ports.

Tusky: Shouldnt your end port be 6999 instead of 6969? Port 6969 is for outbound. Its for the trackers to connect.

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Check out this site for more info about how to open ports on firewalls.

I would suggest opening ports 6881 to 6999 as more new torrents are now using those ports.

Tusky: Shouldnt your end port be 6999 instead of 6969? Port 6969 is for outbound. Its for the trackers to connect.

[Edit]: I have set my router to open these ports and having no problems at all[/Edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive dont everything you have said Bigeejit and still i get yellow lights... opened up to 6999 and still yellow neo :( very frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Couple of questions lads, I have the same setup as Tusky Zyxel 623R BB/router and am running zonealarm. As Ronac mentioned about not needing software firewall as the Zyxel has its own but is it as good as stopping as zonealarm.
    The other question is directed towards BigEejit where can I find in zonealarm to set the ports because when its on it brings my dl to a crawl
    Thks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by cubix
    Couple of questions lads, I have the same setup as Tusky Zyxel 623R BB/router and am running zonealarm. As Ronac mentioned about not needing software firewall as the Zyxel has its own but is it as good as stopping as zonealarm.
    For inbound connections, it's better than Zonealarm. For outbound connections (if you ever get yourself infected with a virus or a trojan), then Zonealarm might alert you to that fact.

If you are trying to use a p2p client, just disable any software firewall you have running until you have figured out how to configure your router properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thks for that Ripwave, as you suggested I have been turning Zone off but when it is off I get a few ads coming through like casio ones not sure if there is anything else.
    In layman terms how do firewalls work, another words unlike my antivirus which checks for updates to keep it's self current why do firewalls not do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Putting it simply... Firewalls work by acting as a doorway. No internet connections can enter or leave your computer without going through this doorway.

As each connection tries to leave or enter this doorway, your firewall checks what port/ports it's trying to connect to (and in the case of a software firewall, what programs are making outgoing connections, and which are recieving them) and then checks that off a list of rules.

If that kind of connection is not in the rules, usually it is just ignored, and therefore won't be allowed go through the doorway. Generally in software firewalls you are asked each time a new kind of connection is trying to access the doorway, and you are giving it permission to enter/leave on either a permanent or temporary basis.

On a more on-topic notice, what other clients have you guys getting the yellow light tried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Do IBB block bitTorrent and other P2P clients? I just got a new 1 meg connection with the VL gear and have yet to get a BitTorrent to download. I am using the Burst! client and Norton Internet firewall - could this be the problem? I have also tried other P2P programs and the speed is pretty bad. However downloading XP updates was like lightning.

• Advertisement

Apparently from what ppl are saying here, it would seem that IBB are blocking most P2P programs. Since P2P programs runs on specific ports, I assume it would be easy for them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I was having the yellow light problem with BT for weeks, until I few days ago when I made a few changes, and 1 of them seems to have fixed it. I have a green light now, getting >40kB/sec.

In BitTornado, in Prefs I set the Port Range to 5881-5999.
    In my router set up, I disabled all other forwarding rules.
    The only rule I have now is to allow 5881-5999 TCP connections.
    Finally, I stopped running this program I was using called NetLimiter.

One of those changes has fixed the problem for me anyway, I hope it might be of help to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks for the tip PLAZZ2000 - changing the ports really helped speed up my downloads. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by cubix
    The other question is directed towards BigEejit where can I find in zonealarm to set the ports because when its on it brings my dl to a crawl
    Thks
    Well ... I had a look and they've completely changed it and i cant find where I set particular ports for particular programs (I remember setting ports 6881 to 6889 inbound for btdownloadgui.exe)....
    but if you click on the program control tab on the left and then the programs tab on the top (while your bittorrent client is running) .... click on the active heading twice and it should show you all programs try to access the internet at that particular moment ... on the line with your btttorrent client click on the 4 question marks under access and server until they are all ticks (correct marks) .... that might do it (not sure).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Spacebutler™

Alright, ive read the replys and im still not sure how to go about this.
    I have IOL bb with the 600 Prestige router. I have norton internet firewall.

The ports.... NIF dosent seem to let you manually configure the ports so thats out the window.

When i tried to configure them from the router i got the message supplied in the jpeg.

Bittorrent wont work, i get every god damn error message under the sun and if someone can tell me exactly how to fix this problem i will be very happy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I cant get downloads any faster than 5k.Any help would be appreciated at this stage.Im using Eircoms Netopia 3341.Cant figure out how to either turn off NAT or enable port forwarding on this thing.
    Thanks
    Richie

I have forwarded all mentioned ports , im using Zone alarm and have turned off XP firewall but still the light is yellow :( would love to get this working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

As crazy as this might sound... Disable all firewalls on your computer, and see if it helps. I don't trust ZA one bit.

EDIT: This may help...
    For example, in Zone Alarm Pro, in the Program Listings, click on the program's name (btdownloadgui.exe) and then click the Options button and then enter the ports to use. If you're having trouble connecting, you might try giving BitTorrent access to all ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Originally posted by plazz2000
    I was having the yellow light problem with BT for weeks, until I few days ago when I made a few changes, and 1 of them seems to have fixed it. I have a green light now, getting >40kB/sec.

In BitTornado, in Prefs I set the Port Range to 5881-5999.
    In my router set up, I disabled all other forwarding rules.
    The only rule I have now is to allow 5881-5999 TCP connections.
    Finally, I stopped running this program I was using called NetLimiter.

One of those changes has fixed the problem for me anyway, I hope it might be of help to someone.

Good man Plazz, finally getting a green light!
    I was in the same boat as Tusky all the time so here's my setup now, maybe you can get the green too:

Disabled XP firewall
    Running Kerio Personal Firewall (thx mutant)
    Router setup has only 1 rule and thats ports 5881 to 5999 on 192.168.1.33

Using BitTornado 0.3.1 (latest experimental build)
    set port settings to 5881-5999

Try that Tusky and it might work, cuz I'm on IOL aswell with zyxel prestige 600, I think you're the same?

Originally posted by Tusky
    I have forwarded all mentioned ports , im using Zone alarm and have turned off XP firewall but still the light is yellow :( would love to get this working

You Said earlier that you have more than one computer connected to your router.
    Is it possible you are forwarding the ports to the wrong ip address?

• Advertisement

nah , Im forwarding them to my i.p addy,
    Good man Plazz, finally getting a green light!
    I was in the same boat as Tusky all the time so here's my setup now, maybe you can get the green too:

Disabled XP firewall
    Running Kerio Personal Firewall (thx mutant)
    Router setup has only 1 rule and thats ports 5881 to 5999 on 192.168.1.33

Using BitTornado 0.3.1 (latest experimental build)
    set port settings to 5881-5999

Try that Tusky and it might work, cuz I'm on IOL aswell with zyxel prestige 600, I think you're the same?
    Ill give it a go thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Tusky

The XP Firewall is fine and is all I use. It is of course configurable.

Zone-alarm is junk - far too heavy and intrusive.

To configure XP Firewal - just press the Button "Settings" in the place where you can enable or disable the Firewal (in the Lan Properties). Add a new rule to allow the ports required to be forwarded.

I think Netsource used to block thes ports also, dont know if they still do - its no harm to change them by adding a thousand to all port numbers.

If you have a Ethernet router with Nat (and a broadband connection setup that you dont need winxp dialup to activate) then you dont need any firewall on the pc as the Nat in the router will do the job for you - just forward the ports via the web page.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Hellrazer - Log onto the Netopia router, go into Expert Mode, click Configure, click Advanced, click Pinholes, click Add, Fill in as follows -

Name - Whatever, Bittorrent makes sense
    Protocol - TCP
    External Start Port - 6881
    External End Port - 6999
    Internal IP Address - IP Address of your PC, such as 192.168.1.3
    Internal Port - 6881

Hit Submit, a yellow warning triangle will appear in the top right of the screen, click it and select Save and Restart. Voila!

If you have a software firewall (Which you should!) like ZoneAlarm (Though I'd recommend Outpost as it supports block lists so you can attempt to hide your P2P ""activities"" from the likes of the RIAA etc.) you don't need to forward ports in it. When you first use your BitTorrent client (I'd recommend BitTornado) ZoneAlarm will pop up and ask wheter you want to let it through, just say Yes and remember this choice. Same goes for Outpost or any other software firewall.
    The Windows XP firewall is off by default, so if you haven't turned it on it won't be the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Zenith74
    The Windows XP firewall is off by default, so if you haven't turned it on it won't be the problem.

Its ON by default with some routers - mostly the USB type or the older eircom supplied ethernet dsl modems - basically any dsl box that can only do bridging and does not have PPoE built in and connects using the windows dialup connections.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement