Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats going on with Keane and Fergie?

• 18-04-2004 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

There was some strange suggestions last night on The Premiership that Keane and Fergie may not be the best of buddies anymore at Old Trafford.

Giles indicated his belief that Fergies increasing willingness to leave Keane out, despite the obvious detriment to team performance, is what pushed Keane to leap back into the Ireland fold against his managers wishes.

There would seem to be something amiss as only six weeks ago Fergie was quoted as saying Keane would return to the Irish team "over my dead body" yet now "its a good resolution for all involved".

If Fergie and Keane have fallen out, would that indicate that one of them ay be leaving OT during the summer? There have been some suggestions of a summer move for KEane by Celtic, although O'Neill has dismissed this as "unlikely".

Add to that the growing Van Nist rumours and all still does not seem tobe well at Old Trafford.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I think there is definetly some conflict there but if Keane does leave United it won't be for Celtic in my opinion. I have never heard an interview from Keane himself say he has any interest in playing for Celtic or read it anywhere(apart from the usual tabloid made up crap). Even from his autobiography, he doesn't mention any desire to play for Celtic. He followed Spurs growing up as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

They may not be the best of buddies anymore, but I cant see fergie forcing him out. Not now anyway. Keane's too big of a crowd-pleaser to be forced out. Fergie would be under too much pressure if he did. There's been cries this year that David Beckham is the reason they're not performing in the league, and that they missed Veron in the CL ect ect... If Keane left,and Man U failed to win the title, the finger would be pointed at fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by talla
    I think there is definetly some conflict there but if Keane does leave United it won't be for Celtic in my opinion. I have never heard an interview from Keane himself say he has any interest in playing for Celtic or read it anywhere(apart from the usual tabloid made up crap). Even from his autobiography, he doesn't mention any desire to play for Celtic. He followed Spurs growing up as far as I remember.
    If Keane left Celtic is the only team I can see him going. He won't go abroad and I wouldn't say he'd fancy playing for a mid table premiership team. He definitely did say he wants to go:

"I've said I would like to play at Celtic at some stage in my career," he said on MUTV. "In two years' time, when my contract is up, if United say I can go, then Celtic is the club I would like to play for. I've been up there a few times and I think it's an outstanding club with an outstanding manager." - from RTE.ie.

If Keane plays in friendlies for Ireland (which looks very likely) I can see Ferguson getting very annoyed. I can't see him going anywhere soon though. His contract is up in 2006 when he'll be nearly 35, if he can still play by then he looks certain to go to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Intresting! :)

Advertisement