Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Videosender interfere with wireless network?

• 18-04-2004 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting DSL broadband and setting up a wireless network. I have a videosender which I like to leave switched on 24/7 - will this interfere with my network? Could I get around any problems by changing the channel with the selector on the video sender?

Any help appreciated Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In my experience, yes it does, though technically, it shouldn't.

I had a wireless ad-hoc network set up (i.e. no access point) and I was baffled as to why it wouldn't work from the sitting room.

I finally twigged that when I switched off the Digisender, the wireless connection suddenly started working. I haven't played around with the different channels on the digisender, I just switched it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for that Tom - I'll probably go ahead anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

they use the same 2.4Ghz frequency so yes.
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, they use the same frequency, but WiFi (and Bluetooth) use channel hopping.

What this means is that they start off on, say, 2.415 Ghz, then hop to 2.420, then 2.425, and so on. (not sure of the exact frequencies, but you get the idea). The theory is that they shouldn't intefere with one another.

On my laptop, I use both Bluetooth and Wifi at the same time (which both use 2.4Ghz), with no interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Be wary of any nearby microwave ovens too! I have an access point in my room (downstairs), when anyone is using a computer upstairs and someone switches on the microwave, it just kills the WLAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Most 802.11b wi-fi access points do not frequency hop.
    You can manually program the channel (frequency) on which they operate to adjust for interference.

My digi-sender (model dg-200) can interfere with the WiFi if both are using same/similar frequencies. By adjusting the settings, both work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

What make/model access point are you using Iano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

I use a Draytek Vigor 2600We Adsl router with built-in 802.11b wireless.

I like this because it is very stable and gives me a nice combination of features, including VPN back into the office. I use wired ethernet connections for my main systems and the Wi-Fi for Laptop and Palm.

There are many recommendations on this board for Wi-Fi Access Points, with and without ADSL routers, so check them out and choose a configuration that best meets your needs.

Good luck,
    Ian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Originally posted by iano
    Most 802.11b wi-fi access points do not frequency hop.

This depends on the AP and the configuration. On many you can specify the channel (frequency) it will use, or the range it should scan. With some, you can set it to scan the whole 802.11x range.

It will also depend on signal strength.

Advertisement