Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Projection TV's- pros? cons?

Options
  • 18-04-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at some of the Toshiba 42" rear projection TV's in various shops but dont know too much about the tech end of them. Ive been told they are 100hz, but the only pictures ive seen displayed on them are badly tuned shop TV stations.

What are they like as an alternative to standard 32"+ TV's ? How exactly do they make the image on screen and are there any known problems or complaints about them?

Any advice welcome, TIA :)

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm using a Sony 44" RP (KP44PX2) and have never had a seconds problem, Picture is great and its HUGE. Only problem, which im concious of is screen burn. But as long as you dont leave a static image on screen for a couple of hours at a tie, then your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Thanks.

I did read something about consoles causing screen burn, but i doubt id ever use on on one of those TVs. Standard digital TV and DVD's are about the only use it would see; but i want to make sure to avoid any pitfalls if/before i purchase one.

They do look mighty impressive though!

as a matter of interest, how much are you looking at spending

I seen them in Currys in Blanch. for 1.3k > 1.8k, i dont think id spend more than 1.8k though. They only had a few models so im not sure what the general price range is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

With plasmas getting more and more reasonable there's little going for rear projection. They're quite dim in comparison even to CRT Projectors. You might even find a CRT or LCD projector cheaper than a rear-projection set.

Rear projection sets also very easily burn-in so if you watch a lot of Sky News that might be a problem for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rear projection sets also very easily burn-in so if you watch a lot of Sky News that might be a problem for you.

and your data comes from?????????

This is NOT a problem with RP TV's, I have the Sony 44 also and am extremly happy, great Scart functionality (3, 2XRGB), great picture and fantastic sound.

If you were to look at the one channel all day every day then you will probably get screen burn, but who does that wilh all the channels we have these days - and it's isolated to static images only.

I have used the picture in picture function on the Sony for well over a year now, which gives a static rectangle around itself and have zero burn.

Unfounded statements like the one above should be ignored.

Do what I did, just go to a shop and bring your fav dvd and compare them all.

I would highly recommend the Sony over a Toshiba because the shop I went to had the same dvd and I was able to watch both tv's at the same time and the Sony kicked Tosh's ass.

I would recommend saving a while longer to bring the higher priced TV's into your price bracket, the more RGB's the better because they offer serious improvement in picture quality.

best of luck and let us know how you get on

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks for the replies.

What price bracket do you recommend, and generally what are the differences between high and low end models? Are there any places that have a good amount of different models that i should check out?

The new Sony is due out in a couple of weeks (KP44PX3) the price is dropping to arouns E2200 so its edging towards your price bracket.

Rp do suffer from screen burn from static images , but theres another type of tv that suffers worse from screen bur PLASMAS, ive seen a plasma burn in about an hour and a half in an extreme case. and they are relative to the make. Sure ull get a lesser brand plasma (albeit in a smaller size) for about E1000-E1500 more than the Sony rp's but if you compare the same brand for a rp and a plasma there will be a bigger gap. Ie a Sony Rp at E2200 and a 32" Sony plasma is close to E4000

On a small side note, keft long enough a crt tv will also burn. Im talking a couple of weeks here, but still.

I'm getting a litte concerned about the words "SCREEN BURN" appearing in every reply.

How bad is this problem, as in if a screen does get this problem, is it rendered unwatchable,etc, or does it just have a faint image when the screen is turned off ?

When you plan to buy a TV for almost 2k you want to be sure of these things first! :)

Thanks

if it did happen it would be a feint image when the tv is on on say a large blue area it would be noticable. Its not goignt o be an issue unless u plan on watching a static iomage for hours on end.

• Advertisement

Forget that idea :dunno:

http://logofreetv.org/render.asp?mode=article_retort_bbc_27032002_3&PRINTMODE=TRUE

just one of the MANY links i found - if the problem can be that pronounced from just watching a TV im sure as h*ll not going to spend 2k on a TV only to have to constantly make sure im not leaving static images on......

I'll find something else to spend a huge amount of money on.

Thanks for the advice/warnings - but ive been scared off :(

Advertisement