Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Newcastle (contains result)

• 18-04-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

0-0 it was, quite an interesting game though. Andy O'Brien got sent off after ten minutes for his traditional 'i'm the last man so I'll drag down the attacker' trick :rolleyes:

However this actually seemed to spur on Newcastle who defended pretty well, for a change. Quite a lot of unseemly pushing by the thuggish Villa players going on :)

Still, as Newcastle have been abysmal on the road this season I'm by no means displeased with this result.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

An okay result , level and points with pool and a game in hand . So im confident 4th place will be the toon's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I thought villa should of done a lot better. we created absolutely nothing but full credit to newcastle they held out well particularily towards the closing stages we`re only 1 point of a champions league spot. but realistically i think 4th place is between liverpool and newcastle as they have much bigger squads. we should be able to manage a uefa cup spot if we keep up the momentum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What is it with the teams vying for 4th place. They all seem to be making efforts not to win that spot!!!

Personally I fancy Newkie to do it as Liverpool have been abmismal recently. I reckon the great anfield tradition of not firing the manager may be going by the wayside in the summer (unless Gerard decides to walk!).

Villa's squad is just not strong enough and Charlton haven't convinced me.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

It really is anyones at this stage but I'd fancy Newcastle.

What do people think of O'Brien anyway? Can he get into the Ireland team? Should he be in it? I've been impressed with him at times (such as the Arsenal game) but hes always prone to get himself sent off or something like he did today.

I don't think Liverpool will sack Houllier. If they do get someone new he'll either walk (can't see it though) or be moved upstairs as a director of football or something. I read today that Daglish is looking to get back into management. He hasn't done too well in recent history but won 3 titles at Liverpool before... and one of only 3 managers ever to win the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sad state of affairs when you're actually hoping your team don't make it into the CL so the manager is forced to go :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Originally posted by gandalf
    What is it with the teams vying for 4th place. They all seem to be making efforts not to win that spot!!!
    Its unbelieveable Newcastle have been abysmal on the road this season. Its very hard to see anyone apart from Newcastle or Liverpool getting it. Looks like the battle for fourth could go to a last day match again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Nike_Dude
    Looks like the battle for fourth could go to a last day match again.

Looks like that orite. I'd love Villa to do it, it would be great reward for coming right up from the bottom of the table, but I doubt it'll happen though, Newcastle look too strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im still in disbelief that Liverpool are still in 4th place this morning. Although come the end of the season I dont hold much hope bar a miracle we will still be there. The 0-0 between the 2 above mentioned teams was as good as one could hop for, along with Charlton drawing. I feel myself that Newcastle will grab the 4th spot. As with Liverpool ging to UTD this weekend playing the way they are UTD could take that game 4-0 :(
    Who knows, perhaps an end of season decider at Anfield may yet happen but I dought it barring a miracle.

Advertisement