Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid for 10 Million?

• 18-04-2004 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Joe Kinnear has said that Forest want to keep Andy Reid and build a team for next season around him.

I'm not sure how capable Forest are of buidling a team with their resources but if they keep the form they have under Kinnear for the next season they will certainly challenge for thepay offs.

As such, they have put a price of 10 million on Andy Reid, with Kinnear citing Duff's 17 million tag as the standard set.

All a bit OTT in my opinion, I can see him going for any bid over 5 million, I wonder how much of this is Forest trying to keep him and how much is them playing the market.

Kinnear was a transfer ace at Wimbledon after all.

article here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hhmmm a bid of £5 million plus rohan ricketts was rejected from spurs . Which meand Kinnear is probably serious he wont sell him for less than £10 million .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This is bad news for Ireland IMO. Nobody will pay 10mil for him when you consider the PSV and Auxerre players being linked to premiership clubs for a lot cheaper than that. He also hasn't been showing the form (by form I mean assists and goals as I don't get to see much of him) of earlier in the season. He has to play the best football of his career for the remaining matches this season to get himself in the shop window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He also hasn't been showing the form (by form I mean assists and goals as I don't get to see much of him) of earlier in the season. He has to play the best football of his career for the remaining matches this season to get himself in the shop window.

Erm dunno why you think that! Its a much changed set up from earlier this season, but if anything he has been playing better since kinnear took over. He has scored 2 in the last 3 games and has been well in with assists all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by syke
    Erm dunno why you think that! Its a much changed set up from earlier this season, but if anything he has been playing better since kinnear took over. He has scored 2 in the last 3 games and has been well in with assists all season.
    As I said, I don't get to see much of him so I'm going by goals and assists. The first half of the season he scored 10 goals (?), since than he has only got 3 and I haven't being hearing about him as much.

As far as I remember you're a Forest fan? If so, Kinnear said Reid has a good right foot, would he do well on the right for Ireland? I couldn't really judge from the Czech match. Also, does Kinnear play him in the centre?

Cheers.

Reid has a decent right foot.

He played for Ireland on the right against the Czechs (well he and Duff swapped wings every so often, but Reid started on the right) and did ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fair play to Kinnear trying to hold onto him. I would prefer Reid to play regular football in the first division than become a bench warmer in the Premiership if only for one more season.

What other clubs bar Spurs have been linked with him?

Gandalf.

(maybe Joy was just quoting the "Chelsea" price ;))

Originally posted by gandalf

Charlton are the biggie with AC said to be a huge fan. I reckon Norwich may go for him as he linked up well with Huckerby and there were rumours of them going for McPhail too.

Originally posted by gandalf
    (maybe Joy was just quoting the "Chelsea" price ;))

Sure everyone knows things are more expensive in London :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

[/b]

Gandalf.

[/B]

Apparently there where 17 scouts at the Forest Milwall match at the weekend. And watching him score a 30 yarder would not have harmed his valuation any either o_0

I think Joe is just making sure we get as much money as possible for Reid. Reid wants to play prem football next year, you cant blame him for that and Joe wants as much cash as possible to replace him cant fault Joe for that as well :) If we where to get the origanal spurs offer of 5 mil and a player I would be happy, in todays market that is a lot of cash (+ a sizeable sell on clause as I think he could go on to better things).

I would love to see him, Daws and williams stay for another season to see if Joe can push for promotion (assuming we stay up) but I cant see it happening, Forest are still 20 million in debt and will probably need to sell a player just to balance the books.

Reids bust up with Wise may not have helped his valuation, I thought they were gonna go at each other too!

Do you think if Forest were to sell William, Reid and Dawson for about 20 million and come out of debt they would be better off in an promotion effort though?

I've not heard as much about the latest youth team and we haven't been as strong in the U19 league as were were 2-4 years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

The debt will have to be paid sometime, servicing the debt year after year after year is very expensive and at the end of the day does nothing but delay when you will have to pay. Lets say if we where to get 5 million for Reid, I think the best part of three million would go to the debts and the rest to Joe. It has been plain to see form anyone whoes watched forest this season that we need at least four more decent players, if the owner of the club is not able or willing to put in any more of his own money in, the only way we can raise the funds for these players is though selling players.

There are a few youth team players on the verge of the team (Gardener looked good when called apon), but its not of the quality of when Jenas, Putton, Williams et al broke through (but its very, very rare that you will get such a good youth team). On a sad note, it looks like Bopp will be heading back to Germany in the summer as well.

Williams is out of contract in the summer - as he is still 23 we will get a fee for him, but it will only be about 200,000K I would expect. He has made some positive noises about wanting to stay though, so we will have to wait and see. Besides Reid, Dawson is the only high value player that we have at the moment, but Joe has made it clear that he wants to keep him. Him and Morgan could be a very good pairing for next season. (Awsome and the Major Oak) as the fans call them :E

here is a link to some moive clips of him - its the third movie, towards the end

http://www.nottinghamforest.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ClubNewsDetail/0,,10308~510535,00.html

*sorry for going slightly off topic here :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement