Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United R.I.P.?

• 18-04-2004 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

With Leeds now almost guaranteed relegation after Portsmouth beat Manchester United yesterday, do you think they will survive in the First Division or will they go out of business altogether?

Will Leeds go out of business if they get relegated to the First Division? 13 votes

Yes. If Leeds go down to D1, it's RIP. Bye bye...
    0% 0 votes
    No, they'll survive relegation.
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The way Man City are playing, they aren't out of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

i think they will be like man city they will be relegated and the following season promoted etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm its a bit early to condemn Leeds. I think City are in extreem danger as they are in Freefall at the moment. A couple of good results could rescue Leeds.

Wolves and Leicester are doomed however.

But if Leeds do go down I reckon they could be in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They won't go out of business, I'm sure this new consortium has provided for relegation, as they have already said that they'll be selling the top earners at the end of the season, survival or no.

If they do gown, and it's still a very bif if, considering how Manchester City are faring at the minute, they will let more people go, but I cannot see them coming back in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Leeds can now survive relegation financially, but whether they'll be able to bounce back to the Premiership is debateable. Smith and Viduka will certainly be sold many other first teamers like Matteo, Robinsin and Gary Kelly will be let go because of their high wages and rising stars like Milner may also want out. If they go down, they'll stay down for two or three seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think that they'll survive it for some reason

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

first and foremost we wont be relegeted we will stay up ahead of man city.

If we do het rekefated tho I dont think it will be the end of us.I know we will lose smith viduka and robinson but we still have other good players at the club who will be well above average when it comes to the first division. I dont think we will come straight back up as a season of stability will be needed to sttle the club but after that i see us coming back up.

There is no way it is the end of leeds utd. the financial mess has been sorted out so dunno how people are voting it will be the ned of leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

15 Blackburn Rovers .................34.........-9.....37
    16 Portsmouth ..........................33........-10....37
    17 Manchester City....................34.........-3.....34
    18 r Leeds United .......................34 ........-34...32
    19 r Leicester City .......................34........-18....28
    20 r Wolverhampton Wanderers 34..........-38...28

Ok I reckon its between Leeds and Man City, but if leeds beat Portsmouth they could be dragged back into it.

Leeds Fixtures:
    H Sun 25th Portsmouth
    A Sun 2nd Bolton Wanderers
    H Sat 8th Charlton Athletic
    A Sat 15th Chelsea

Man City
    A Sat 24th Leicester City
    H Sat 1st Newcastle United
    A Sat 8th Middlesbrough
    H Sat 15th Everton

Portsmouth:
    A Sun 25th Leeds United
    H Sat 1st Fulham
    H Tue 4th Arsenal
    A Sat 8th Leicester City
    H Sat 15th Middlesbrough

I reckon Leeds are gone!

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

everybody has been saying for months now that leeds are gone. simple fact of the matter is that they are playing alot better in recent weeks and if you compare how leeds have been playing to how man city have been playing there is only one team going down and that is city. leeds will beat portsmouth on sunday coz they are rubbish away from home and leeds need it more if man city dont beat leicester( i think will be a draw) then they will just crumble like they have been recently. Leeds will be on a high and with games against bolton and charlton they will stay up.

Its simple really man city are dropping like a stone and leeds arent. nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have to say, for the good of Irish football I hope City go down. City have a load of Irish players (Elliot, McCarthy, Willo Flood, etc.) and if they do go down they will have to sell the likes of Anelka which paves the way for the young Irish players to get into the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Eireboy, if City go down they will have to sack keegan, as he's spent a fortune.
    And when a new manager comes in, the irish lads may just be tossed aside, as the manager surrouds himself with people he knows.

Also with the debt City have accrued they might have to get rid of half the squad! Not only will the big guns be sold, but contracts wont be reknewed either.

Getting back to Leeds, they are playing very well at the moment, (Arsenal result aside), but its too little too late. They probably need 10 points to be safe, because of their poor goal difference. Effectively they have to win there next 3 games, back to back, then get a result at Chelsea.

More chance of Mary Harney winning Miss Ireland! :)

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think leeds will be relegated, however I think they will survive the relegation. They will loose Viduka, Smith, Milner, Robinson & 1/2 more. But witht he right management could buy in good first divison talent and could be back up i the premier league within a few seasons. I dont think it will be a wholesale either, I think it'll be more like WestHam was this year. Players gradually going, being replaced by good talent.

They probably need 10 points to be safe, because of their poor goal difference.

I dont think that will be the case. You are going by the assumption there that man city will win at least 2 of their remaining games and with the way they are playing i cant see that happening.I can see man city having trouble in their remaining fixtures and if leeds beat portsmouth that will put us right up with city. City as they have proven in recent weeks buckle under pressure and i can see them crumbling further as thay have done in recent weeks. That gives leeds the oppurtunity.

Yes arsenal game aside leeds have been playing well and I still beleive that can stay up. Three of their next 4 games are very winnable for a team in leeds position meaning fighting for their lives. It remains to be seen if they can win those games but the way they are playing it can be done.

With respect the chelsea game this is what i think.If chelsea manage to get past Monaco and get into the champions league final they will always have one eye on that game when they go into the game with leeds.Knowing Ranieri they could even rest players so as not to risk them getting injured.When a team is thinking about the next game and not the current one they tend to play with less passion and spirit as they would have done and this would give a good chance of getting something at stamford bridge so as i see its not all doom and gloom for leeds just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You have a point 'bout citys recent form. But look at the fixtures

however Boro and Everton have nothing left to play for this year, and city are playing for their lives. Thats 2 winnable matches already, and i'd say city could win their six pointer against Leicester City.

Yet every team Leeds are playing are gunning for something, whether its Europe, or not getting relegated, except Bolton.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with xterminator, it is looking bleak for Leeds. Remember West Ham went down with 42 points last season. 40 is usually considerede the bench mark and it is hard to see where Leeds can pick up 8 points. Your point about city's form is good, but the only reason they have been dropping like a stone is because they were well up table at one staage of the season, Leeds have been bottom three all season, so had nowhere to drop to. City have good players but the manager has no bottle. I think Keegan should get the bullet regardless, also get rid of Anelka, I know he scores goals but he does nothing else and the only thing he adds is disharmony in the dressing room. If Leeds go down I think they should stick with Eddie Grey. he seems to be a pretty good manager and they have gone through too many managers in the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

however Boro and Everton have nothing left to play for this year, and city are playing for their lives. Thats 2 winnable matches already, and i'd say city could win their six pointer against Leicester City.

Yet every team Leeds are playing are gunning for something, whether its Europe, or not getting relegated, except Bolton

that was the logic i was using. the thing is whether man city can pick up their form enough to make the apathy of the other teams worthwhile. if man city beat leicster they will stay up, if they dont i think leeds have every chance.

ok its true enough that leeds are playing teams that need the points and that will make it harder for them to win but never the less they could still win those games if they play to their potential.i think thats what it boils down to for leeds. on their day they can win but it all depends on the defence who have been rubbish all season.

Man city do have the easire games but with managers like steve McClaren and david moyes just because they arent going for anything does not mean they will take it easy.those managers pride themselves on winning games no matter when or who agaianst so those games will still be tough for city.Yes though i agree if they beat leicester leeds will find it very very tough to stay up but going by current form only Leeds still have a big shout to stay up and i know its unlikely now that blackburn or portsmouth will go down but you never knoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Leeds Fixtures:
    H Sun 25th Portsmouth - Leeds
    A Sun 2nd Bolton Wanderers - Leeds or a draw
    H Sat 8th Charlton Athletic - Charlton unless a miracle happens for a draw
    A Sat 15th Chelsea - Lets not be stupid :)

So max of 5 really

Man City
    A Sat 24th Leicester City - Man City
    H Sat 1st Newcastle United - Not with Newcastle chasing champs league
    A Sat 8th Middlesbrough - I don't think so on boro's form
    H Sat 15th Everton - I wouldn't be inclined to think that they can get it

I think 3 points really tbh, maybe 4 vs boro

Portsmouth:
    A Sun 25th Leeds United - Leeds
    H Sat 1st Fulham - Fulham
    H Tue 4th Arsenal - Arsenal
    A Sat 8th Leicester City - Portsmouth
    H Sat 15th Middlesbrough - Boro

I really think 3 points, maybe 4 vs boro.

If leeds play their best and get lucky they can get out of it.
    If Ports beat Leeds they are gone.

H Sat 8th Charlton Athletic - Charlton unless a miracle happens for a draw

Ah now come on i dont think charlton have playing that good as of late and especially away from home they have bit to be desired so i think at least a point is expected for leeds from this game with them being at home.I agree if leeds dont beat portsmouth that they will prob go down but i can see them beating them. Leeds are well capable of beating charlton as they have already proven this season by beating them at the valley.

Advertisement